Why can't I finish anything?

Old May 10th 10, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Default Why can't I finish anything?

On May 10, 4:13*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Maybe it's just curtains. *I *hate sewing curtains. *Right now, no kidding,
we have a sheet of limousine window film clothes-pinned to a rod in front of
our kitchen window. *Sunshine bounces from our garage and will just blind us
if that window doesn't have some deflection/protection whatever. *I could
make curtains... naaahhhh. *When that film decomposes, I'll probably just
roll out another sheet and replace it. *Did I mention I * HATE *curtains.
Can't do it. *No method or bribe or self-criticism is going to improve me.
So there. *Join me, Sunny. *Heck with a 12-step program. *Let 'em carry us
off to Curtain Prison. *Polly

"Taria" Oh Sunny, I imagine you are just coming down from a trying time.
Still has

to be stress there with the employment situation.
Weird funks are tough to exit sometimes. *If you can just work a bit at a
time it might help. *I like to work on charity quilts when nothing else
gets done for me. *Starting more projects probably isn't much what you
need though. *I'd hate for that curtain to kill you. Set it aside and find
something else to deal with IMO.

The other gals said it best...take a break, sit in the sun, play in
the dirt, plant things, and take a breather from "projects" for a
bit! It just might be the inspiration you need to get the creative
juices flowing again.....Donna
Old May 11th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I like to make curtains. Window curtains,
shower curtains most any curtains. I had a garden window in the last house.
I made a great roman shade for the face of it but the thing was still hot
and bright. DH found some plastic shade film at the store that sells things
for Rec Vehicles and trailers. The stuff is thick and will just stick on
from static cling but you can take it off easily too. I would put it up in
the hot months but liked the sunshine most of the rest of the year and took
it down then. It was reusable. Kind of like the thick sheet vinyl you can
get at Joann's but with some tint to it. That was neat stuff.
Sorry you all hate curtains so much.
Taria
"J*" wrote in message
hey, thanks for that idea, Polly.
our long kitchen window faces due east and gets the morning sun full on in
your face, it too is blinding if you pick the wrong time to make a cuppa
tea.
great idea. i just told dh. now all i gotta do is get him to stop at the
garden centre and buy some shade cloth for that job. could be used in the
garden after winter when the sun is the worst blinder season.
thanks again for that idea. now i also gotta figure out how i'd hang it
there so it looked not too shabby. i'm sure i'll work it out, just need
the
stuff to work with asap.
j.

Old May 11th 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

not sure that is sold retail here nor would i have a clue where to find it.
i'll some checking tho.
could be an alternative for sure.
thanks, Taria.
i dont hate curtains at all. that window being in the kitchen makes curtains
need to be removed and washed so often tho. what a pita on such a long
window.
the film would probably be much better than the shade cloth if i can find it
here.
j.

"Taria" wrote ...

Old May 11th 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

It is over in the automotive section. The original purpose has to do with a
cheap/temporary way to tint the windows in your vehicle. There are two
kinds - one just sort of slaps on and easily peels off. We keep strips of
that one in our vehicles to cover a harsh light that evades the sun visors.
The kind we're using on the kitchen window was one I accidentally bought
and is the wrong kind for on/off car windows. I think maybe you're supposed
to wet the window and apply it sort of semi-permanently. ( It doesn't go on
or come off readily.) Anyhow. I really did clothespin a length of it in
front of the kitchen window on a rod and it works a charm. We can still
enjoy the bluebirds, the occasional eagle and a funny gaggle of doves who
are teaching their young to hunt. The film doesn't need hemming, doesn't
obstruct the view. If it gets splattered with Easter egg dye or spaghetti
sauce, we just wipe it down or replace it. A happy no-curtain solution.
Polly

Old May 11th 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Polly, I love your idea about sun-film for windows instead of
curtains. I've never been sure why God invented curtains -- they get
dusty and grubby if they're in the kitchen and need to be changed
every so often just because of running out of color. But the curtains
that have kept me busy lately are all needed for privacy. All three
bathrooms were in sad disarray before the septic problems, and it
seemed a good thing to spiffy them up when the loan appraiser was
coming out. As a result, there's new paint, some plaster touch-ups in
places and new floor covering in the downstairs bath that my oldest
son uses. Of course, that was necessary because that was the room that
let us know rather graphically that the septic was no longer accepting
deliveries. Enough said.

So my DH waded in and did a great job of muscling the bathrooms into
shape. And in the process threw away the old curtains and bath mats
and shower curtains. Soooooooooo, I went in the downstairs bath one
day to see an old table cloth tacked over the window, which is just
over the tub and is HUGE. Gads. I can't have that. So I ran upstairs
to see what the other offspring had over his window and found ....
nothing. Oh lovely. I'm sure the neighbors have had an opportunity for
an interesting view a couple times. Sigh. Well, you'll be pleased to
know that the curtains are finished now. I got over the hem hump today
and now both bathrooms are at least modest.

And the curtains in my bedroom came about through a longgggg process.
A friend announced at guild meeting that she was making quilts to give
to the Seattle Children's Hospital where our local kiddos go for
serious disease treatment. People started dropping off free fabric for
her, some of which was wonderful and some of which was questionable.
One such donation was the end of a roll of decorator fabric, 60" wide.
She gave it to me and it's been standing in a corner since then. I was
on my way to put it in a Goodwill box when I realized the pattern
looked sort of familiar. Yeah, it's the same as my duvet cover. Well,
glorioskies, I had to make some easy curtains for my windows. There
was just enough and now they're really nice and romantic looking.

That's the story. I've also got two tiny wall hanging things ready to
put bindings on. Maybe tomorrow. I'll post photos if I get them done.

For tonight, I may just take everybody's good advice and sit and do
nothing and not feel guilty about not doing anything. Novel idea, but
it might catch on.

Love and hugs and gratitude to good friends,
Sunny
Old May 11th 10, 08:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I use tension rods a lot for windows where I am unable to fix a curtain
track. They come in various length ranges and unscrew to fit the
window. They fit perfectly tightly between the window reveals - provided
there isn't too much weight on them. There is no fixing to them at all.
I love them. Making a casing on the shading will be no problem, then
just thread the rod through it and put it up into the window 'hollow'.
Tighten the screw fixing (by hand) - the whole rod-end turns.

I'm really into DIY at the moment gg.
..
In message , J*
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old May 11th 10, 11:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I like tension rods too - just put one up in the downstairs cloakroom
that has just had frosted window and nothing else, and also used them in
the inside hall to kitchen window where it takes a little 17" x 36"
quilt/wallhanging/curtain quite happily. I have a tension rod in the
bottom of that too, so it hangs really smoothly.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Pat S wrote:
I use tension rods a lot for windows where I am unable to fix a curtain
track. They come in various length ranges and unscrew to fit the
window. They fit perfectly tightly between the window reveals - provided
there isn't too much weight on them. There is no fixing to them at all.
I love them. Making a casing on the shading will be no problem, then
just thread the rod through it and put it up into the window 'hollow'.
Tighten the screw fixing (by hand) - the whole rod-end turns.

I'm really into DIY at the moment gg.
.
In message , J*
writes

Old May 11th 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

Sunny, one of the things I've learned recently that helps me get stuff
finished is THE ACTION PLAN. Put simply, it's a list that I make,
therefore it has on it only the things I want to finish or accomplish,
and it's worded in past tense. like:
May 15...I have finished the giraffe
May 22...I have posted pictures of new project

etc. Instead of the multitude of unfinished projects constantly
floating around in your head, you have the luxury of focusing on only
one. works for me.

Musicmaker
Old May 11th 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Yes, Pat, I like tension rods, also.
This apartment has two 6' wide windows [one in living room area, one
in bedroom] To create a lightweight curtain to hang inside the "box" I
used shower curtain rods, since they are sturdier and will expand to
that width. Still tension, but allow that space to be covered.

Ginger in CA

Old May 11th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:08:24 -0500, Edna Pearl wrote
(in article ):

Maybe your psyche is demanding a break from "responsibilites" after your
septic tank ordeal.

ep

That's just what I was thinking! I bet you are just worn out from the whole
septic tank ordeal. I'd just take a break for a day or two and see how you
feel.

Maureen

Another Finish Magic Mood Jeep Needlework 3 September 29th 07 02:56 PM
A Finish!!! Magic Mood Jeep Needlework 1 September 23rd 07 12:15 AM
Another finish Jere Williams Needlework 9 January 28th 06 10:02 PM
Help to finish an old kit Sylvia Blanchard Needlework 4 January 22nd 04 12:28 AM
I can finish it now! Lindroos Quilting 0 October 26th 03 03:39 AM