Disaster

Old December 6th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Sue Roessel Dura

Default Disaster

I made a horse on special order and it slumped against another pot so they are
glazed together - his front leg to the vase's belly. Is there any way I can
seperate them at least to save the horse! Best, Sue
Old December 6th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

You can try using a dremel tool with a carbide cutting blade on it - be sure
to wear a mask. Donna

news

Old December 13th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Sue Roessel Dura

The gods were with me on this one! When I glanced into the kiln and saw the
horse had slumped, I assumed it was stuck to the vase. After things cooled off
enough to actually open the kiln, there was a hair's breadth between the 2
pieces. So the horse could stand on its own and wasn't damaged! Thanks for
your input - my husband also recommended a dremel so I'll keep that under
advisement ;-) Best, Sue

Old December 13th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 02:19:23 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article , Sue Roessel
Dura
says...
Thanks for
your input - my husband also recommended a dremel so I'll keep that under
advisement ;-)

The Dremel is a nerdy little thing for people who are afraid of real
power tools. :-)
I'm glad your horse was OK.

In defense of "little" power tools, let me say that I have both a
Dremel and a die grinder (like a router stuffed into a
Dremel-on-steroids housing). The die grinder is fantastic
for when you really need to remove material (wood, etc), but
it takes 2 hands to use it. The Dremel is much better for
the sort of fine detail work that the OP (might have) needed.
(Regardless, wear eye protection and a respirator.)

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!

Old December 13th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Ok Rob - those are fighting words! (fine I'm a nerd wantabe but...). I like
my miter and recipical saw (in my dreams I have a table and a band saw) but
really I think the even dremel on second thought is too big and powerful for
this job. If it had actually melted on the other pot, I am now thinking
that what you would want is a carbide wire (like a flexible cutting wire
covered in carbide grit) that you would work slowly through the glaze. The
question is - do they make anything like that?

t...

Old December 13th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
charlie

"D Kat" wrote in message
Ok Rob - those are fighting words! (fine I'm a nerd wantabe but...). I
like my miter and recipical saw (in my dreams I have a table and a band
saw) but really I think the even dremel on second thought is too big and
powerful for this job. If it had actually melted on the other pot, I am
now thinking that what you would want is a carbide wire (like a flexible
cutting wire covered in carbide grit) that you would work slowly through
the glaze. The question is - do they make anything like that?

yes. you can find them in the tile department of home depot.

you can also get a diamond wire saw. looks like a scroll saw, but uses a
diamond coated very thin wire blade instead, with a water pan for lube &
cooling.

http://www.gryphoncorp.com/omniroadtest.html
http://www.gryphoncorp.com/omni2.html

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Old December 13th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Cool! Thanks. Donna

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article , Sue Roessel
Dura
says...
Thanks for
your input - my husband also recommended a dremel so I'll keep that
under
advisement ;-)

The Dremel is a nerdy little thing for people who are afraid of real
power tools. :-)
I'm glad your horse was OK.

Disaster quilts done! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 26 September 7th 05 03:08 AM
OT pie disaster NightMist Quilting 33 July 22nd 05 11:33 PM
Dye disaster maryd Quilting 20 January 24th 05 08:30 PM
Who else had a Christmas disaster??! :-) MB Quilting 30 December 28th 03 01:26 AM