buying lumber for an external chimney

Old February 26th 04, 05:13 PM
patrick

If you don't have access to power tools . . .

Instead of getting a large sheet that you would have to cut multiple times
to come up with the correct widths, buy a few pcs. cut to the width and then
you would only have to cut the lengths. The precut Midwest lumber Basswood
strips range in price from $.50 to $1.50. Another option for the long run
would be to buy a grab bag of various strip and sheet wood for a multitude
of uses. The problem with the grab bags is that the strips are only 9"
long, but are great for accent pcs or to just try something out. They
generally cost about $7-8.

Patrick

Cathy Weeks wrote in message
. ..
I can get a sheet of basswood that's 1/8" X 6" X 24" from a dollhouse
store for about $7. Can I get thin sheets of wood (doesn't
necessarily have to be basswood) at the hardware store for less? I'm
making an external chimney (goes up the side of the house), then
covering it with magic stone, so the wood doesn't need to be pretty -
only durable.

I guess you could say that I'm kitbashing for the first time!

Cathy Weeks

Old February 26th 04, 11:16 PM
havana bill & holly

I got a sheet of 1/8" plywood from Home Depot & cut it into manageable
sheets approximately the size of the diecut kit sheets. They are wonderful
for kitbashing!
"Cathy Weeks" wrote

Old February 26th 04, 11:25 PM
patrick

Most general hobby stores should have them. Hobby Lobby, Michael's, & some
train stores. Go through several bags and pick the one with the most
"sticks" vs. blocks and you should be happy. I use them to figure out what
I need and then get the 24" strips as needed if needed, besides, you can
store a greater variety in less space since they are only nine inches long.
If you can't find them anywhere, please let me know and I will help out if I
can.

Patrick

So where do you get these grab bags?

Cathy Weeks

Old February 27th 04, 12:56 AM
Chuck

On 26 Feb 2004 11:55:44 -0800, (Cathy Weeks)
wrote:

I can get a sheet of basswood that's 1/8" X 6" X 24" from a dollhouse
store for about $7. Can I get thin sheets of wood (doesn't
necessarily have to be basswood) at the hardware store for less? I'm
making an external chimney (goes up the side of the house), then
covering it with magic stone, so the wood doesn't need to be pretty -
only durable.

With nearly any kind of saw you can cut your own wood. If you've got a
band saw, table saw, jig saw, circular saw...all you have to do is
take a regular old pine board (or any other species, for that matter)
and cut pieces off the edge of it, lengthwise. Standard boards (not
2x4's) is 4/4 stock, or 3/4" thick. You can actually get more useful
pieces this way (for WAY cheaper!) than buying wildly overpriced
basswood sheet goods.

You could also do this with a 2x4 or any other constrution lumber.
You should be able to buy a 2 x 4 or about a buck or less at the
lumber store. Be sure to securely fasten the wood down before you
start sawing, or have someone hold it for you, so you can concentrate
on the cut. This, of course, doesn't apply for a band saw, where you
have to be able to move the piece of wood through the bandsaw.

You'll also have better luck resawing with a circular saw or jig saw
if you use a straight edge to guide the saw with. You can even clamp
or nail the straightedge temporarily right to the board you're sawing
-- just don't drive the nails in all the way, so you can pull them
back out again.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old February 27th 04, 02:41 AM
Carol

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
I can get a sheet of basswood that's 1/8" X 6" X 24" from a dollhouse
store for about $7. Can I get thin sheets of wood (doesn't
necessarily have to be basswood) at the hardware store for less? I'm
making an external chimney (goes up the side of the house), then
covering it with magic stone, so the wood doesn't need to be pretty -
only durable.

I guess you could say that I'm kitbashing for the first time!

Cathy Weeks

Kitbashing is my way of life.
I don't think that 1/8 basswood would be substantial enough for magic stone.
.. I would use 1/4" or 3/8" wood. If you're near a Home Depot or Lowes or
lumberyard maybe they'll give you some scraps or go dumpster diving at the
stores.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old February 27th 04, 03:59 AM
Cathy Weeks

"havana bill & holly" wrote in message ...
I got a sheet of 1/8" plywood from Home Depot & cut it into manageable
sheets approximately the size of the diecut kit sheets. They are wonderful
for kitbashing!

That's good to know. Was it expensive? I ordered the basswood (but
got away with only ordering the one big sheet, and a smaller sheet,
which cut the price significantly over ordering 2 of the big sheets),
but next time I'd rather just get the plywood.

Cathy Weeks