Embellishments question - buttons

Old December 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
stampingmaniac

Default Embellishments question - buttons

Hi! So I have these really cute ladybug buttons I was given that I'd
like to use on cards (looks like they were sold as embellishments not
as real buttons based on the packaging), but they have this plastic
loop on the back for thread to pass through rather than holes drilled
through the button, so I'm wondering how best to use these buttons for
cards since it definitely won't lay relatively flat like a normal
button? My mom said she'd grind them off with a dremmel tool but I
don't have one of those. Any ideas?

--Barbara

Old December 2nd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Tom and Karen Brooks

Barbara,

If the loop is plastic you might be able to snap it off with a pair of
pliers.

Kare

--

Karen R. Brooks
ups.com...

Old December 3rd 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Connie \(Kendall\) Bartley

You can use wire cutters and nip the loop off.

--
Connie K Bartley
Pages done for this month =

Old December 3rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Stormi

Barbara, you can cut off the loops with a pair of jewelry wire cutters,
then sand them down level with the button with a fingernail file.
There's LOADS of cool buttons for almost every occasion, they make great
embellishments!

stormi

Old December 12th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Roscoe2

Tom and Karen Brooks wrote:
Barbara,

If the loop is plastic you might be able to snap it off with a pair of
pliers.

Kare

Thanx one and for sharing your suggestions. I have given away some
really cute buttons because I wasn't quite sure how to cut the loop on
the back off. Now does that snap or mar (sp?) the button?

Inky Huggz,

Missy Olson
Angel #1754
North Branch, MN
missy.ismyangel.net

Old December 15th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
stampingmaniac

Tom and Karen Brooks wrote:
Barbara,

If the loop is plastic you might be able to snap it off with a pair of
pliers.

Kare

Thanx one and for sharing your suggestions. I have given away some
really cute buttons because I wasn't quite sure how to cut the loop on
the back off. Now does that snap or mar (sp?) the button?

Inky Huggz,

Missy Olson
Angel #1754
North Branch, MN
missy.ismyangel.net

I tried one button tonight. I forgot Mom had given me a package of
flower buttons as well as the ladybugs, and so used the flowers since
they were the first thing I found. I first tried Kare's pliers
suggestion. Turns out the centers of the flower buttons are kind of
rubbery, so they didn't snap, just bent. I then tried Stormi's wire
cutter suggestion. I didn't have ones for jewelry, but the ones I had
in the tool box did work. They didn't cut as close to the button as I
would've liked, but close enough that the button will work if I use the
thicker glue dots to attach them to the paper.

I will have to be careful because the centers are a separate piece from
the petals and apparently the loop is what kept the two pieces
together, so now that I cut the loop off, the center wants to fall out.
Once the button is glued to the card, though, I think it'll be fine.

As to Missy's question, other than the cut mark on what's left of the
loop in back, the button is not marred in any way, and looks like new
from the front. I held the button in my fingers when I snapped the
loop, and the wire cutters lay flat against the button when the cut was
made, so they didn't mar the back at all either except for the cut
marks.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Barbara

Old December 15th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
stampingmaniac

Oops, Connie also suggested wire cutters - thanks to you, too, Connie!

--Barbara

Old December 17th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Kenda

You could also use a shank remover, you can find them in craft and fabric
stores. It will remove the shank level with the button.
--
Kenda
(Remove NOSPAM to reply)

View my projects @: http://community.webshots.com/user/kendalee101

Projects completed for 2006
260 cards
3 mini books
14 LO's
6 quilts
4 beaded braclets, 3 beaded necklaces
"Connie (Kendall) Bartley" wrote in message
[...]

Adding button holes and buttons to RTW Tricia Sewing 17 October 11th 06 04:24 AM
good question Val Sewing 2 September 27th 06 04:37 PM
question about copyrights--an innocent question not meant to start a war Kristine Yarn 38 September 3rd 05 05:45 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Dr. Sooz Beads 0 April 22nd 05 07:24 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Polly S. Beads 0 April 22nd 05 06:29 AM