new quilter Braves Fan - Pictures of 2 choices of design

Old August 28th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Braves Fan

Default new quilter Braves Fan - Pictures of 2 choices of design

Ok... Here are my two choices. I really like the choice one, but
something isn't quite right about it. So I think I'm going to end up
going with choice 2. I just like the 4 box squares in the choice 1.
If anyone can come up with a way to even it out or find out what makes
it look like something is missing, I'd be so grateful!!!!

Here's the link!
http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Braves Fan

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 7
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old August 28th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Here's one idea for you!
You might need a pencil and paper to sketch this out - I have mine in
front of me, so it's a bit easier!
I dare say it is the lack of symmetry which makes you feel something is
not quite right?
The problem is that with that number of four patches of the light
arrangement (10), you can't make a symmetrical pattern (I don't think!)
without putting two light 4-patches together at some point.

Since the dark 4-patches seem to be more of a background than the light
ones, this is what you could do.

First row (top)
2-patch (vertically) of darks; 4-patch of light; 4-patch of darks;
4-patch of lights; 2-patch of darks.

Second row
2-patch of light (vertically); 4-patch of dark; 4-patch of light;
4-patch of dark; 2-patch of light.

Keep the centre as you have it now.

To the left of that centre squa going down the column:
2-patch of dark (horizontally); 4-patch of light; 2-patch of dark.

To the right of the centre square - same as left.

Under the centre square - row 5:
2-patch of light (vertically); 4-patch of dark; 4-patch of light;
4-patch of dark; 2-patch of light.

Row 6 - bottom row:
2-patch of dark (vertically); 4-patch of light; 4-patch of dark; 4-patch
of light; 2-patch of dark.

That is 4-way symmetrical, so should look just fine - as long as you
don't mind splitting some of the 4-patches into 2-patches?

Try it out - let us know?
..
In message , Braves Fan
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 28th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

I like choice 2, because it provides much more interest for the eye. The
reason choice one looks like something is missing, in my opinion, is because
of the large areas of sameness. In choice 2 you have broken that up, which
I personally like much better. Good job!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 28th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Here's one idea for you!
You might need a pencil and paper to sketch this out - I have mine in
front of me, so it's a bit easier!

I'm glad you came up with something, Pat, since I really prefer #1, too.
I think #2 is sort of predictable and regular. I like the groupings in
#1, but it does need "something". G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 28th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Pat: Sounds good. The first one has potential, but is a
tad off balance. I like your ideas. I didn't sketch it
out, but reading the way you suggest splitting some of
the larger elements just resonates with me. Woo ... a
25 cent word!
Grins, PAT

Patti wrote:
[...]

.
In message , Braves Fan
writes

Old August 28th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

That makes 3 of us "Pat pluses" with some what the same idea.
I agree that the reason the first example seems "off" is that there are
an even number of rows/columns of 4-patches. So the corners are
different. To be "balanced" the corners need to be the same, and
splitting some of the 4's into 2's would do that, but keep the idea of
the 4-patch blocks. G Patti, on her hill said it well.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Old August 29th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Braves Fan wrote:
Ok... Here are my two choices. I really like the choice one, but
something isn't quite right about it. So I think I'm going to end up
going with choice 2. I just like the 4 box squares in the choice 1.
If anyone can come up with a way to even it out or find out what makes
it look like something is missing, I'd be so grateful!!!!

Here's the link!
http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Braves Fan

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 7
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

I liked the second one best. In the first one I found the blocks with
the white background drew the eye too much and the central panel got lost.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old August 29th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I didn't see it at first, either, Sally; but, I think if the other
blocks were made symmetrical around it, that problem would go.

In message , Sally Swindells
writes