New QI!!! and dog toys

Old August 8th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Default New QI!!! and dog toys

I'm so excited!! I'm going to be the proud momma of a 9 week old Cavachon
pup. We are planning to go get him this afternoon and I can't wait (my boys
have meet him and wanted to take him home that day, and don't know yet that
we are going to go get him today)!!!! I would like to find some patterns
for toys that I can make him, but I can't seem to find any. I know I've
seen some on the internet before, but now that I want them they just don't
want to be found. Any one know of any links to internet patterns for
dog/pet toys? Anyone have toys that they make their K9 QI's that you could
type up some brief instructions and/or a description? Thanks bunches from
me and my soon to be QI!!!

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old August 8th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article sT1Cg.883230$084.208363@attbi_s22,
"Charlotte Hippen" wrote:

I'm so excited!! I'm going to be the proud momma of a 9 week old Cavachon
pup. We are planning to go get him this afternoon and I can't wait (my boys
have meet him and wanted to take him home that day, and don't know yet that
we are going to go get him today)!!!! I would like to find some patterns
for toys that I can make him, but I can't seem to find any. I know I've
seen some on the internet before, but now that I want them they just don't
want to be found. Any one know of any links to internet patterns for
dog/pet toys? Anyone have toys that they make their K9 QI's that you could
type up some brief instructions and/or a description? Thanks bunches from
me and my soon to be QI!!!

Charlotte, I can't help with the toys, but I'm very curious about the
breed you mention and which I've never seen before. Do you have pics?
Congratulations on the new QI!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 8th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NancyB

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:14:32 GMT, "Charlotte Hippen"
wrote:

I'm so excited!! I'm going to be the proud momma of a 9 week old Cavachon
pup.

Congratulations on your new addition!

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 8th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Any one know of any links to internet patterns for
dog/pet toys? Anyone have toys that they make their K9 QI's that you could
type up some brief instructions and/or a description? Thanks bunches from
me and my soon to be QI!!!

I don't know of links, but after wandering through a craft fair over the
weekend, I saw an awful lot of tug/chews made of polar fleece. They took
1-inch wide strips, braided them, and double knotted the ends. Ta-da,
toy. Length went from 6 inches finished (I'd guess a foot before
braiding and knotting) to 3 feet long. There were 4 and 6-stranded
braids for larger dogs, but I think the smaller sizes would be better
for your pup. Felt and fleece toys tend to wear very well for chewing.

-georg
Old August 8th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Toni Schneidt

I just looked it up in Google. It is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and a
Bichon hybrid. Very Cute!!! What are you going to name him?
Toni

Old August 8th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I was wondering too!
But, I guessed that it might be a cross between a Cavalier and a Bichon
frisé?
Come on then, Charlotte g Put us out of our misery!
..
In message ,
Sandy Foster writes
Charlotte, I can't help with the toys, but I'm very curious about the
breed you mention and which I've never seen before. Do you have pics?
Congratulations on the new QI!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 8th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

He is indeed a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Bichon Frise mix. He's
light in color with long straight and very soft hair. Not very big, just a
little fuzz ball for right now. I don't have pictures of him yet, but am
planning on taking some once we get him home. I will post them in my QI
album and let you know they have been added. Right now we are thinking
Samson, aka Sam, for a name (DH came up with it, and it seams fitting).

Old August 8th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

Thanks Georg.

At the pet shop he had the remnants of a stuffed lobster. One side seam was
spit wide open and all the stuffing was gone. I'm not sure if he did all
that or if it had been "previously loved" before they gave it to him. He
just loved chewing it, head shaking it and play a little tug of war with it.
I should be able to get some fleece cheap if I watch the clearances for old
designs or use my 40% of coupon at Joanns. I am glad you said it tends to
wear well, I was thinking it might be an economically way to give him plenty
of appropriate chew toys while he goes through his teething. I know I can
make up some bone shapes, even squares or circles and he'd love them.
Hopefully though, I can find some interesting things to make on the internet
for him too. Thanks!!!

Old August 8th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Georg

Charlotte Hippen wrote:
Thanks Georg.

At the pet shop he had the remnants of a stuffed lobster. One side seam was
spit wide open and all the stuffing was gone. I'm not sure if he did all
that or if it had been "previously loved" before they gave it to him. He
just loved chewing it, head shaking it and play a little tug of war with it.
I should be able to get some fleece cheap if I watch the clearances for old
designs or use my 40% of coupon at Joanns. I am glad you said it tends to
wear well, I was thinking it might be an economically way to give him plenty
of appropriate chew toys while he goes through his teething. I know I can
make up some bone shapes, even squares or circles and he'd love them.
Hopefully though, I can find some interesting things to make on the internet
for him too. Thanks!!!

If you do find links, please share them! I feel the need to make cat and
dog toys. He definitely needs stuff to help him teeth at that age!

Unfortunately, the Jack Russell Terrier we've been caring for as a favor
to a friend has been surrendered completely to us, and we've made
arrangements for JRT rescue to give him a good home. We knew we would
not keep him forever, and he is in fact too energetic for us. It's still
sad to drop a dog off, but hopefully I can send him off with some toys
for his new friends. I know they'll care for him and he'll be happier.

-georg
Old August 8th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Let me just clue you in on a little fact about puppies and chew
toys.........
You will be much better off to purchase an actual 'doggy toy' for your baby
then make sure he knows that is the one and only toy he chews. The rubber
and rawhide for puppies make great teething toys and your puppy will be
teething and chewing a LOT. If you make toys out of fabric it resembles
clothing and the chances of your puppy chewing up a favorite garment is
high. If there's a "toy" you give the baby to chew made out of fleece they
won't know the difference between that and somebody's favorite fleece jacket
or the blanket. The same goes for giving them an old shoe to chew
on.......your baby can't tell the difference between new shoes and old
shoes. As dogs get older, and they have good consistent training your choice
of toys can broaden but you are going to have your hands full with an
un-potty trained toddler who will have a lot of things to learn. Don't put
the poor thing on overload because you think this animal will actually
appreciate that you hand made a toy......it won't. You just may be
conditioning that pup to something that will take a lot of frustrating time
to UNcondition.

Val