Sunflower Wall Hanging Again

Old July 15th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Sunflower Wall Hanging Again

Went with a friend up to Blackfoot, Idaho yesterday to a fabric shop and was able to buy the outer border for my wall hanging. To day I plan on working on this project. I have until Aug to finish it but don't want to wait until the last minute. Will keep you all posted on my progress.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old July 19th 14, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:28:17 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Went with a friend up to Blackfoot, Idaho yesterday to a fabric shop and was able to buy the outer border for my wall hanging. To day I plan on working on this project. I have until Aug to finish it but don't want to wait until the last minute. Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Pat,
My Sunflower Wall hanging is progressing. I still have to turn the binding to the back and tack it down and then do the quilting part. Now that I got it this far, I am a little disappointed in the outer border thinking it will take away from my large sunflower. Pretty bright. Wish now that I could of used a brown for the outer border instead of the bright yellow. Oh well, hindsight is too late as I do not plan on changing it.
Sandy$ in Idaho
Old July 19th 14, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary[_4_]

You are binding before quilting?

Mary (retired and loving it in western Oregon)

Old July 19th 14, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Hello Pat,
My Sunflower Wall hanging is progressing. I still have to turn the binding to the back and tack it down and then do the quilting part. Now that I got it this far, I am a little disappointed in the outer border thinking it will take away from my large sunflower. Pretty bright. Wish now that I could of used a brown for the outer border instead of the bright yellow. Oh well, hindsight is too late as I do not plan on changing it.
Sandy$ in Idaho

Just a thought to tone down the brightness of the border a little:
perhaps you could choose a quilting thread in a sort of beige colour (to
go over the bright yellow part?), or a variegated thread that
incorporated yellow, beige and brown? Thread can alter the impact of a
particularly strong colour. Having mentioned a couple, I think I would
prefer the variegated - not quite so obvious a disguise!

I remember your saying that you have not had a great deal of experience,
I think? You say in this message that you are planning to do your
quilting after the binding. Unless you are adopting a new method, the
quilting is usually done before the binding is put on. This is for
various reasons, but mostly because quilting can distort the original
shape/size. Have a look at a few books in your library and see what
they say - or look at some sites online, to see what they say about the
order of the many procedures in making a quilt.

Pat on the green

Old July 21st 14, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:28:17 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Went with a friend up to Blackfoot, Idaho yesterday to a fabric shop and was able to buy the outer border for my wall hanging. To day I plan on working on this project. I have until Aug to finish it but don't want to wait until the last minute. Will keep you all posted on my progress.

Sandy$ in Idaho

Hello Pat,
Thanks for the idea on thread. I have done quilting before and know about the binding. I had a quilt frame. Now a Wall hanging is a whole different thing. I can't put it on a frame as it is too small. I am only hand quilting on the border using a open scroll and then along the sunflower stock/leaves. Just enough to give it shape.
Sandy$ in Idaho

Wall hanging is done!! IMS[_4_] Quilting 23 July 13th 08 08:06 PM
African Wall Hanging - new pix Bronnie Quilting 10 July 26th 07 07:01 PM
? wall hanging yvette Quilting 7 June 17th 07 01:31 PM
I finsished the wall hanging :) Carissa Quilting 9 December 20th 06 07:02 PM
What use is a wall hanging? Kate Dicey Quilting 94 January 23rd 06 09:08 PM