An Item of Mostly Girly Silliness

Old August 24th 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default An Item of Mostly Girly Silliness

On Aug 23, 8:54*pm, "DiMa" wrote:
I love that John. What a great gift idea.
May I use it?

--
Di
I'm creative! *You can't expect me to be neat too.

"John" wrote in message

Here is a truly one of a kind crazy idea. While making one of the bags
this came as an inspiration to me for doing something that might be
considered somewhat *"Off The Charts". My wife shakes her head when
she sees it and wonders if this whole sewing thing has gotten out of
hand. I, on the other hand am convinced that I am onto the next,
latest, accessory, that is a must have. Your opinions may vary, but I
hope you will accept it in the spirit of openness, that this group is
known for. Or at least quirkiness.
The link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...erest#55086734...

John

Have fun. Be My Guest.
John
Old August 24th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

John, would you dare to attempt one with a lid? It would be a great spot to
store all the little tools we must have. I can't quite picture how you'd do
a 9-patch lid but if anyone can, you're the Man. Polly

Old August 24th 10, 10:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Why would that be quirky? Looks perfectly reasonable to me!
I've seen waste baskets made of textiles before. One was from Korea,
heavy card covered in silk and made to be collapsible. another was
with the fabric bowl technique (segments of heavy fusible interfacing,
covered with fabric on both sides then stain-stitched together). and
the last was more like a papier maché using fabric.
John, yours is the easiest of these to construct, for sure!
Roberta in D

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:39:09 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

Here is a truly one of a kind crazy idea. While making one of the bags
this came as an inspiration to me for doing something that might be
considered somewhat "Off The Charts". My wife shakes her head when
she sees it and wonders if this whole sewing thing has gotten out of
hand. I, on the other hand am convinced that I am onto the next,
latest, accessory, that is a must have. Your opinions may vary, but I
hope you will accept it in the spirit of openness, that this group is
known for. Or at least quirkiness.
The link: http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...73421339137154

John

Old August 24th 10, 12:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
Here is a truly one of a kind crazy idea. While making one of the bags
this came as an inspiration to me for doing something that might be
considered somewhat *"Off The Charts". My wife shakes her head when
she sees it and wonders if this whole sewing thing has gotten out of
hand. I, on the other hand am convinced that I am onto the next,
latest, accessory, that is a must have. Your opinions may vary, but I
hope you will accept it in the spirit of openness, that this group is
known for. Or at least quirkiness.
The link: *http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...erest#55086734...

John

In the element of the bizarre, I have see an Elephant foot made into a
waste basket, and a matching Elephant foot stool. Pity the poor
Elephant. No Elephants were injured during the manufacturing of my
basket.

John

John
Old August 24th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 23, 11:25*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
John, would you dare to attempt one with a lid? *It would be a great spot to
store all the little tools we must have. *I can't quite picture how you'd do
a 9-patch lid but if anyone can, you're the Man. *Polly

I am trying to envision the mechanical, foot operated lid lifting
mechanism that would work with such a design. It is not coming to me
right now. Just a static lid would not be too hard to do. That stiff
Pellon could be doubled a thereby provide a rather stiff top. Maybe
make one of my butterflies to act as a handle for lifting the lid.
Hummm! It is all becoming cleat to me now! Thank You Polly.

John
Old August 24th 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Ew! who would want something like that next to a work station! It
would be hypocritical to oppose all animal products, but I prefer them
to be quite a bit more removed from their origins. Poor elephant
indeed!
Roberta in D

Old August 24th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I love it!!!!! Actually a great idea. You could carry it with you to
workshops/classes and always have a place to put the orts created as
you sew. G Looks like it could fold up some and then be "popped" out
to use.
You may be on to something here.
What did you use to "stiffen" it?

Pati, in Phx

Old August 24th 10, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

John, what pattern did you use for the tote bag?

I just love it.

-Irene

Old August 24th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 23, 11:39*am, John wrote:

Here is a truly one of a kind crazy idea. While making one of the bags
this came as an inspiration to me for doing something that might be
considered somewhat *"Off The Charts". My wife shakes her head when
she sees it and wonders if this whole sewing thing has gotten out of
hand. I, on the other hand am convinced that I am onto the next,
latest, accessory, that is a must have. Your opinions may vary, but I
hope you will accept it in the spirit of openness, that this group is
known for. Or at least quirkiness.
The link: *http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...erest#55086734...

John

I used the stiffest Pellon sew on interfacing I could find. It is just
shy of manila folder stiffness, and is somewhat of a bear to fold and
sew when doing the bottom attachment. I graded the seams and then it
was easier to attach and fold over and sew down onto the bottom. I
overcast the whole bottom seam before folding and sewing down, as that
gives it a finished look and prevents a lot of thread shedding. It
will fold up and stow but the stiff Pellon takes a crease so there is
a bit of re-flattening whenever you choose to do that. I am currently
designing another one using darker, (more masculine) colors, a
different pattern, and a top lid, (Thanks Polly), along with a Sewn
Butterfly to act as a lid handle. (OK, not so masculine, that one) but
there you go.
John

The second mostly girly bag John Quilting 15 August 25th 10 07:02 AM
A Most Girly Tote John Quilting 9 August 17th 10 11:22 PM
Finally, the Girly Quilt John Quilting 20 March 10th 07 11:20 AM
New girly quilt. John Quilting 28 February 25th 07 10:32 PM
ON Topic Silliness Cheryl Isaak Needlework 2 September 7th 05 12:48 AM