sewing machines. LOTS of sewing machines.

Old January 10th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default sewing machines. LOTS of sewing machines.

Marion and I spent Xmas and New Year in Istanbul (well, actually,
New Year and the Muslim Feast of the Sacrifice, as Xmas hardly
exists there and we like it that way).

One place we went to was one I've been curious to visit for a long
time: the centre of Turkey's cassette/CD/DVD industry. From the
addresses printed on Turkish music media, it looked as if they all
came from the same building.

They do. It's one of a series of multi-storey buildings with central
courtyards, the "IMC Blok"s (there's a dot under the C) near the
Ataturk Bridge. You can probably see them on Google Earth. So, we
easily found the music one (also worth finding as it has the cheapest
Turkish coffee in town, from a stall at the bottom level). It has
maybe a hundred different record labels all with their own shopfront.
Bought a great pile of Turkish music CDs, but in the process noticed
there were at least two other enormous multistorey buildings nearby.

One of them sells nothing but furnishing fabric. I have no idea how
many shops there were there, but they cover so many options that if
you wanted ostrich-leather sofa covering with gold-embossed motifs of
plumbing fixtures, I'm sure there'd be somebody there who can find it.
*Doesn't* do industrial canopy fabrics and tenting though, there's
another street just for that nearby...

The other "blok" appears to be *nothing but sewing machines*. Almost
all industrial, dozens of shops on maybe seven levels, each one with
hundreds of machines on display. Some were dealers for a specific
maker (Juki had a huge shop), others had second-hand stuff from every
imaginable maker. Everything from small domestic machines labelled
in Arabic to enormous 24-thread three-phase industrial sergers and
all sorts of doodads for ultra-specific tasks, most of which neither
Marion nor I could begin to guess at. After a circuit of one floor
Marion said "I've seen more sewing machines in the last two minutes
than in the rest of my life put together". The range of accessories
was equally gobsmacking. No matter how specialized and obscure the
foot you're after might be, somebody in here's going to have one.

If you want your mind boggled this place is well worth a visit. We
also found the clothing district south of the Grand Bazaar which must
be where many of these machines end up; vast buildings with entire
floors devoted to men's ties or monogram labels for school uniforms.
Much of it was closed for the holiday (4 days for the Feast of the
Sacrifice). When it's all open you could get lost in there for weeks.

Then there's the Street of Buttons, the shops that sell nothing but
washing-instruction and size labels, and somewhere (didn't find it
this time) a shop that sells nothing but faked woven designer labels
on the roll. Your local haberdashery shop will never look the same
again after a visit to Istanbul.

[followups to rctq]

FAQ for RCTQ Dec 2005 frood Quilting 6 December 8th 05 02:30 AM
sewing machines - viking 750 anyone? DrQuilter Quilting 11 October 30th 04 06:50 PM
Shopping day / Trends in sewing machines Tom Farrell Sewing 2 October 11th 04 10:31 PM
New to sewing-?s about industrial sewing machines Shawna Sewing 4 May 31st 04 03:30 AM
Featherweight and treadle sewing machines Dru Sewing 0 January 10th 04 03:13 AM