New Bernina Stitch Regulator

Old October 24th 05, 08:52 AM
Cheryl in Oz

Default New Bernina Stitch Regulator

Has anyone seen or tried the new Bernina Stitch Regulator? Do you know what
it's like?

I have been considering a new machine and while I don't have a Bernina now
(a confirmed Janome user to date) I would definitely consider a domestic
machine with stitch regulation. Is there any other machine that has a
stitch regulator that I should be considering?

I would really appreciate any opinions or recommendations.
--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau

Old October 24th 05, 02:58 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I think Sandy Foster has one...

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 24th 05, 06:27 PM
Sherry Starr

I have tried it at 2 different quilt shows, in a local Bernina's shop, and
at the home of one of my quilt guild members. I love it! I just have a
Janome Gem Gold, and have been considering the Janome Platinum. I really
want the Bernina, but that might be more than I want to spend.

Sherry Starr

Old October 24th 05, 06:37 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

I think Sandy Foster has one...

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

You think right, Kathy! G I love my Bernina 440 with the BSR! In fact,
much as I had previously enjoyed using my Bernina 1260, I haven't
regretted giving it up to get the 440 for one minute.

Cheryl, the BSR is standard on the machine I have, and it's really
great. Of course, you still need to practice to get a *smooth* stitch,
but at least the stitches will be even. G The BSR is also an extra
option on the 430, but I don't think it's cost effective, once you
consider that you'd also want to buy a walking foot for that machine
(that foot is standard on the 440), adding enough to the cost to make it
more practical to buy the 440 with its extra feet and stitches.

Since I bought my machine, Bernina has come out with the BSR on two new
machines, as well as an upgrade to the 200 model. However, the new
models are quite a bit more expensive than the 440 and do much more than
I think I'll ever need (especially since I won't be doing computerized
embroidery; Berninas don't hook up to Macs -- I'll stick to FM
embroidery if I want embroidery at all. G). The upgrade to the 200 is
also pretty costly, but if you already had that machine, it would be a
good option, rather than buying a new machine. The BSR on the two new
models (640, 630), as well as the update to the 200, can also do
regulated zigzag quilting, which my model can't do. But how often do I
zigzag quilt, anyway?

Have I mentioned that I love this new machine? G

"Cheryl in Oz" cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
Has anyone seen or tried the new Bernina Stitch Regulator? Do you know
what it's like?

I have been considering a new machine and while I don't have a Bernina now
(a confirmed Janome user to date) I would definitely consider a domestic
machine with stitch regulation. Is there any other machine that has a
stitch regulator that I should be considering?

I would really appreciate any opinions or recommendations.
--

Cheryl
cawaites@netconnectDOTcomDOTau
"catsatararat" on Yahoo msgr

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 25th 05, 01:20 AM
Cheryl in Oz

Oh I don't expet that!! LOL

As a matter of fact I don't free-motion AT ALL. But I do want to learn and
I believe in using good tools if you are serious about your work, so based
on the comments made here I think I will be making the trek to a Bernina
dealer to take a look.

I should explain that this could mean getting someone to drive me about
200km to Melbourne if I want to see all models. For a 400km round trip I
just wanted to know it was worth going! Maybe I will time it for the next
quilt show in Melbourne - now there's a thought!!

--

"WhansaMi" wrote in message

"Cheryl in Oz" cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
Has anyone seen or tried the new Bernina Stitch Regulator? Do you know

what
it's like?

I have been considering a new machine and while I don't have a Bernina
now
(a confirmed Janome user to date) I would definitely consider a domestic
machine with stitch regulation. Is there any other machine that has a
stitch regulator that I should be considering?

I would really appreciate any opinions or recommendations.
--

Cheryl

Cheryl, I've had the 440 for about six months now. I previously owned a
Bernina 125 and still have a Janome 6500.

I am glad I bought the 440. It is a very sturdy machine, and I like the
feel of it. It has an excellent stitch. The BSR certainly has improved
my
free motion quilting. However, the BSR is not a cure all. If I were to
rank my free motion ability prior to buying the BSR, I'd say it was a 4 on
scale of 1 to 10. Now it is a 6 or 7. Improved, but not great.

So, if you are buying it as a tool to help you in your work, then it is a
wonderful thing. If you are buying it thinking it is going to give you
perfect free motion quilting, you are likely to be disappointed.

JMHO

Sheila

Old October 25th 05, 01:26 AM
WhansaMi

"Cheryl in Oz" cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau wrote in message
Oh I don't expet that!! LOL

Good. I have just heard some things from other people that make me think
that they believe that, by buying the BSR they don't need to develop the
skill. I was rather HOPING that, myself! But, it isn't the case.

As a matter of fact I don't free-motion AT ALL. But I do want to learn

and
I believe in using good tools if you are serious about your work, so based
on the comments made here I think I will be making the trek to a Bernina
dealer to take a look.

I should explain that this could mean getting someone to drive me about
200km to Melbourne if I want to see all models. For a 400km round trip I
just wanted to know it was worth going! Maybe I will time it for the next
quilt show in Melbourne - now there's a thought!!

--

Cheryl

Sounds like fun -- if time-consuming.

Really, I do love my 440. It drives nicely, for me.

Sheila

Old October 25th 05, 10:30 PM
the black rose

Sandy Foster wrote:
Have I mentioned that I love this new machine? G

Nah, I don't think you appreciate it enough. *huge grin*

I've played with a 440 several times at the quilt shop. I think the BSR
is the best thing since sliced bread, and I can hardly wait to get the
upgrade for my 200. I do a lot of free motion quilting, so it'll free
me up to concentrate on smooth lines without having to worry about
stitch length. I'm really looking forward to that.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

Zig-Zag stitch creasing down middle of stitch... Michelle Sewing 12 March 24th 04 01:16 PM
Instant Stitch: PM Stitch Creator 2.0 - new ! TEL Sewing 0 January 28th 04 12:23 AM
GARTER STITCH FABRIC!! ox Machine Knit 1 January 4th 04 02:38 PM
RCTN Reminder: NY gathering at Stitchery Row Nov. 1 georg Needlework 23 November 4th 03 11:32 AM
If I invent a stitch, can I name it? Laurie Yarn 7 July 23rd 03 03:58 PM