New to sewing-?s about industrial sewing machines

Old May 24th 04, 04:48 PM
Shawna

Default New to sewing-?s about industrial sewing machines

I am new to sewing and want to learn but for the specific reason of
sewing heavy fabrics like canvas, leather,etc. I will be doing basic
jobs like repairing horse blankets, sewing covers for outside dog
beds. What should I be looking for in the way of a machine. To sew
heavy materials, I assume is a specific class of machine..I guessed
industrial? I also will need to learn how to run the machine but I am
very mechanically inclined and also have local stores to ask
questions. I have not gone into them yet until I thought I would ask a
group such as this questions so I could get some knowledge so I don't
get taken at a store..not that all do but...anyhow, ideas, thoughts,
suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 24th 04, 07:27 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

You could probably get away with a domestic machine that is designed for
sewing jeans and other denim-weight fabrics. If, however, you will be
sewing a lot of these items then the industrial machine is the way to go.
The industrials are built to take a lot more 'abuse' but are somewhat of one
trick ponies. They work best for what they are tooled to do. They also
take up more space and are not portable! (You didn't say where you were
going to do these things.) The price is higher, but they are well worth the
extra if that is what you really need.
Cynthia
(Owner of 3 domestic sewing machines, 2 domestic sergers and one industrial
serger - and yes, they are all used!)
om...

Old May 24th 04, 07:37 PM
Penny S

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
You could probably get away with a domestic machine that is designed
for sewing jeans and other denim-weight fabrics. If, however, you
will be sewing a lot of these items then the industrial machine is
the way to go. The industrials are built to take a lot more 'abuse'
but are somewhat of one trick ponies. They work best for what they
are tooled to do. They also take up more space and are not portable!
(You didn't say where you were going to do these things.) The price
is higher, but they are well worth the extra if that is what you
really need. Cynthia
(Owner of 3 domestic sewing machines, 2 domestic sergers and one
industrial serger - and yes, they are all used!)

Also, industrials run 2-3 times faster, improtant for production work.
Industrials as also designed for specific uses -lightweight fabrics and
fast ( for drapes) or heavy fabrics, walking foot or needle feed capablity
for heavy fabrics. This is what I suggest you look for, anything else for
horse blankets and you'll most likely burn out a regular machine in no time
flat.

Penny S

--
Specialty Outdoors
Modification & Repair of Outdoor Gear & Clothing

Old May 24th 04, 11:49 PM

New to sewing-?s about industrial sewing machines

Group: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing Date: Mon, May 24, 2004, 8:48am
(EDT-3) From: (Shawna)
I am new to sewing and want to learn but for the specific reason of
sewing heavy fabrics like canvas, leather,etc. I will be doing basic
jobs like repairing horse blankets, sewing covers for outside dog beds.
What should I be looking for in the way of a machine. To sew heavy
materials, I assume is a specific class of machine..I guessed
industrial? I also will need to learn how to run the machine but I am
very mechanically inclined and also have local stores to ask questions.
I have not gone into them yet until I thought I would ask a group such
as this questions so I could get some knowledge so I don't get taken at
a store..not that all do but...anyhow, ideas, thoughts, suggestions
would be appreciated.
---
Penny's advice is right on the money. You will burn up any home
sewing machine trying to do the sort of work you describe.There is a
learning curve with the industrials, as they run at a much greater rate
of speed.
However, if you are going to want to travel with the machine, I have
been reading about a smaller industrial, a 'sail-rite' machine, which
seems more 'portable', if industrials can be described as such. The
'Sail-rite' is made for canvas work. Used to be a fellow who posted here
about his machine. Maybe he'll put in his 2 cent's worth. (I mention
portability, because, in horse country, up the road, they have traveling
repair folk who use fully equipped vans, and travel from farm to farm to
do the heavy saddle repairs and blanket mends.)
Threads mag, I believe, runs small ads in the back of the mag for this
particular machine. You might also call/email the industrial dealers
listed there, and get more info on which particular machine/brand would
perform best for the sort of work you describe. They seem to carry a
wide range of brands.
Most of the dealers here locally push one particular brand.
HTH.
Cea

Old May 31st 04, 03:30 AM
Stitchmaster001

Hello,
I am an Industrial sewing machine dealer and I was called on to provide a
machine for repairing horse blankets and light manufacturing of canvas
products. I recommended a Consew 206RB or equivalent. They decided on the 206
and have been quite happy with it.