Knitting machine news

Old October 29th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Default Knitting machine news

I have located a woman here in town who has been knitting on Passap
machines for 25+ years, including a Duo80 like the one I was given a
few months ago. She has agreed to tutor me in the beast's use so I'm
heading to her place shortly for my first lesson.

I'm excited! Learning how to use this machine means I'll be able to
start making more variations on yardage for more sorts of projects.

Yahoo!
Old October 30th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

WoolyGooly wrote:
I have located a woman here in town who has been knitting on Passap
machines for 25+ years, including a Duo80 like the one I was given a
few months ago. She has agreed to tutor me in the beast's use so I'm
heading to her place shortly for my first lesson.

I'm excited! Learning how to use this machine means I'll be able to
start making more variations on yardage for more sorts of projects.

Good for you! The passap is the one beast I have yet to tame, I'm still
learning about my silver reed

Jane

Old October 31st 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leah

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:38:23 GMT, WoolyGooly
wrote:

The main thing I learned is that my trouble getting the thing going
stems from it being dirty++. So I am armed with instructions for
taking out the pushers and needles and for cleaning all the moving
bits. Today I'll hie me off to the hardware store for some quality
paint brushes and a half gallon of paint thinner. If the thing was
all metal I'd take it to my friend's car shop and have him dip it in
the parts cleaning tank - that's what I did with the two Japanese
machines and they came out sparkly clean and ready to knit.

WoolyGooly,

Once you get it cleaned and oiled, make sure to run a couple of inches
of waste yarn through the machine, as there is bound to be leftover
oils on it, and waste yarn will get dirty with oil and dirt coming off
the machine.

If once you clean it, you still have problems, you may need a new
sponge bar (AKA needle retainer, needle retaining bar), the thing that
holds down the needles, especially if the machine sat for a year or
two before you got it. First you can try moving the sponge bar a
little bit, as it may only be mashed down where the needles have sat
on it, but if after trying that it still won't knit easily, you
probably need a new bar. Passap isn't made anymore, but you can still
find sponges on the net and info on how to properly change needles
w/out damaging your machine spring. If someone was trying to force
the carriage over the needles, some of them may have gotten bent, so
if you change the sponge bar and still have problems, check for bent
needles where the carriage gets stuck.

Also, if you heard that a "cattail/rattail" brush was good for getting
broken pieces of sponge bar out of the machine, you were informed
wrong. Those can get caught in the machine and really jam up the
works, though many places still sell them. They are very tricky to
use, and if not done right you'll have problems.

Hope that helps!

Leah
Old November 1st 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

My late ,other used to have a real Knitting machine , i think i still
got the info booklet ,[i will see], i know i saw it and it baffled me
as she sold years before. I think it was a passap ,,,,,with a carriage
for ribbing etc... i have a small frame of ESM , which i use rarely.

mirjam

Knitting speed ?? Yarn 40 August 22nd 06 09:50 PM
Help with old english knitting directions Rach *in NZ* Yarn 55 April 17th 06 05:23 AM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 21st 06 01:56 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 21st 06 01:55 PM
FAQ's on buying a new Sewing Machine Butterfly Quilting 0 October 17th 03 04:34 PM