Budget serger

Old July 31st 05, 10:02 PM
jajmd

Default Budget serger

Hi, I'm new to the group and am hoping that someone can suggest a BASIC
entry level serger. This will be mostly used for crafts, and light
apparel, such as costumes.

Thanks!
Old July 31st 05, 11:14 PM
Welmoed Sisson

There are only three things that are really essential in a serger. As
long as the one you pick has all three, it will do just about anything
basic.

1. Differential feed. Don't buy a serger that doesn't have
differential feed.

2. 2-Thread stitch capability. Most likely will need a small adaptor
which should be included with the serger. Again, this is a vital
capability for doing really good rolled edges.

3. Simple rolled edge conversion. Most decent sergers have a little
lever to pull towards you to pull the stitch finger out of the way.
This is the easiest method for converting to rolled edges. Less handy
methods include having to change the stitch plate or the presser foot.

Also nice to have, but not as essential, is a user-friendly threading
path for the lower looper.

Aside from these essentials, make sure to pick a good dealer. If you
buy a low-end machine off the rack from a JoAnns, Wal Mart or Target,
you are losing out on dealer support.

Another option is to go around to local dealers and find out what they
have in the way of used machines that were traded in.

Good luck and happy serging!

--Welmoed

Old August 1st 05, 01:25 PM
Linda Sweigart

I'd like to add to this in that sergers that can use 4 threads are better
than those that only use 3. Mine is a Janome and I got it on sale for under
$280. As suggested below, a used machine might well be a good idea if
purchased from a reputable sewing machine shop. They've been gone over and
often carry an in-store guarantee.

Linda

Old August 1st 05, 09:45 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Two things:
First, costuming is not light sewing - especially if using lycra!
Secondly, you get what you pay for. I would suggest looking for a serger
that you will be happy with for many years. If you cannot afford one new,
then get a good used one.
What you will be looking for is:
-Differential feed (nice to have if using fine fabrics, although I don't use
mine very much).
-Three to four thread capacity. Five threads are not needed. Two threads
are also not needed, although some might beg to differ on that one. Two
threads are used for chain stitching which I find is a waste of time and
effort.
-A good rolled hem capacity. This takes three threads to do, with best
results using a bulky or woolly thread on your upper looper path and a
strong thread for the lower looper as the tension will be cranked right up.
Ask around before you buy and by all means try several different models to
see what suits you best! That is why there are so many different brands and
models out the different strokes for different folks. Kate, in England,
swears by her Lily and Husquavarna - I prefer Pfaff. Cea loves the old
Singers. All three of us do tons of sewing to a very high standard of
quality - so - you need to choose a machine that will work for you the same
way.
Good luck, and happy sewing!
Cynthia
PS I do a lot of costuming - you can check out some of them at my home page
which is
http://www.rupert.net/~spilsted/ and just go to the costumes links to see a
few.
Kate has a far fancier web page which you can check out to see the kinds of
stuff she does (all kinds of neat things!) and her site is
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/kate.htm
Kate also shows her sewing set-up and the different machines that she
uses...

Old August 1st 05, 11:19 PM
jajmd

"jajmd" wrote in message

Hi, I'm new to the group and am hoping that someone can suggest a BASIC
entry level serger. This will be mostly used for crafts, and light
apparel, such as costumes.

Thanks!

Cynthia -

Thanks for the input!! Your costumes are gorgeous. My costuming pretty
much consists of last minute Halloween party stuff!

Judy
Old August 1st 05, 11:24 PM
BEI Design

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:
Two things:
Kate has a far fancier web page which you can check out to see
the kinds of stuff she does (all kinds of neat things!) and her
site is http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/kate.htm
Kate also shows her sewing set-up and the different machines
that she uses...

Kate has changed providers, her new site is at:

http://www.katedicey.co.uk

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old August 2nd 05, 12:13 AM
Kate Dicey

jajmd wrote:

Thanks for the input!! Your costumes are gorgeous. My costuming pretty
much consists of last minute Halloween party stuff!

Judy

That is some of the toughest sewing you can do... You're under
pressure, you're in a hurry, and you are sewing late in the evening...
And you are usually using cheap crappy $1 a metre fabric!

You need a serger that:

Copes with any fabric, from Polartec 300 to silk chiffon
Is easy to thread
Isn't too fussy about thread type or quality
Has differential feed for stretch fabrics and rolled hems
Is solid enough and steady enough not to dance off the table into your
lap at full speed!

I'd very strongly recommend a 3/4 thread used Toyota. I have one as
back-up for my Huskylock 910, another brick-nett workhorse. It has the
advantage for those new to sergers of not being too fast: sergers work
VERY much faster than standard sewing machines, and having one that
won't get away from you is comforting to those new to sergers.
http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 2nd 05, 12:13 AM
Kate Dicey

BEI Design wrote:

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

Two things:
Kate has a far fancier web page which you can check out to see
the kinds of stuff she does (all kinds of neat things!) and her
site is http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk/kate.htm
Kate also shows her sewing set-up and the different machines
that she uses...

Kate has changed providers, her new site is at:

http://www.katedicey.co.uk

Same ISP - I just own my own domain name now!

Old August 2nd 05, 05:40 AM
BEI Design

Kate Dicey wrote:
BEI Design wrote:

Kate has changed providers, her new site is at:

http://www.katedicey.co.uk

Same ISP - I just own my own domain name now!

Oops, sorry! I wasn't able to read all the details, I just knew your
URL had changed a while back.

Old August 2nd 05, 09:06 AM
Pogonip

BEI Design wrote:
Kate Dicey wrote:

BEI Design wrote:

Kate has changed providers, her new site is at:

http://www.katedicey.co.uk

Same ISP - I just own my own domain name now!

Oops, sorry! I wasn't able to read all the details, I just knew your
URL had changed a while back.

You gotta love it. uk.yahoo.com, google.co.uk, ebay.co.uk, katedicey.co.uk
--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth

Serger and quilting The Laws Quilting 2 December 27th 04 07:48 PM
OT - used serger NinaJ Quilting 25 October 7th 04 04:04 PM
sewing garment seams with a serger Ann Pillman Sewing 8 March 31st 04 09:07 AM
Favorite Serger stitch Survey shereesews Sewing 3 January 8th 04 10:36 PM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM