Making a petticoat "full"

Old July 27th 05, 06:00 PM

Default Making a petticoat "full"

I've been trying to make one of those "full" petticoats,
one that sticks out a lot, but I haven't found a pattern
and the few articles I've found on the web aren't all that
clear to me.

I've tried experimenting, but the small pieces I've come
up with look like a mess, so I'm reluctant to go out and
buy a lot of material to try bigger samples.

Can anyone offer advice as to how petticoats are made fuller
(other than by sewing 50 kg. of cotton together)?

For instance, one article just said to use a full circle of
cloth. Another just talks about sewing cloth onto a lining
(sort of a half-slip, I guess.) One picture I saw looked
like the "flounces" consisted of several strips of cloth sewn
side-by-side, sort of like a broomstick skirt.

I'm wondering if the trick is to use straight strips of net/tulle/other
fabric and just gather a lot, or to cut arcs (circle-skirt style),
or use arcs and gather, etc.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

-- AM

Old July 28th 05, 12:06 AM
Trish Brown

[...]

I made a full petticoat for a fifties-style skirt to fit my DSD as follows:

I made a very short (hip-length) cotton half-slip with an elastic waist.

Then I gathered a double layer of stiff net as 'gatherish' as I could
make it (ie pulled it up *really* tightly). The width of the net was
double the required length from the hem of the half-slip to the bottom
of the finished item. I ran a long machine stitch right up its middle,
folded it in half along the stitching line and then gathered. And
gathered. And gathered. This step was quite difficult because the
gathering thread wanted to break. In the end, I did a narrow zig-zag
stitch over fishing line. That did the trick!!!

Finally, I whipped the net to the hem of the half-slip by hand. The net
was so bulky and so intractable, doing it by machine was going to be
impossible. I just safety pinned the net to the skirt in four places and
used a double thread and a tapestry needle (blunt0. This was easy and
took no time at all.

The resulting petticoat was *perfect* and the circular skirt sat
beautifully on it. With this particular garment, it suited me to allow
the net to show about eight inches beneath the skirt to good effect. One
slight drawback was the cut edge of the net: it's scratchy and snags
stockings. The best way around this, I found, was to run a narrow
overlocker (serger) rolled hem around it. Twice! This gave the hem body
and really covered the nasty snaggy bits of net. (Of course, it would be
*much* easier to do this rolled hemming *before* you gathered the net.
Not as I did, when it was gathered up and busy and bulky...
Hnnnnnnnhhhh!!!!! =:-0 )

Another way around it might be to finish the net with some narrow lace
before gathering?

Anyway, do let us know what you decide to do! Best of luck! ;-D

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, Australia
Old July 28th 05, 12:54 AM
romanyroamer

Simplicity and all the major pattern companies have patterns available for
petticoats and slips. You will also find victorian style ones in the costume
section.........Amelia in Australia
ups.com...

Old July 28th 05, 06:14 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Petticoats! After making a dozen for the "Can-Cans"!...
What kind are you needing? For a petticoat to go under a little girls party
dress or...?
The simplest petticoat is a crinoline-type. For that, I would measure the
finished length desired and add enough for your top waistband and bottom
hem. I usually use a knitted elastic for the waist of between 1/2 and 1
inch - that depends on my mood at the time. For the hem, a rolled hem on
the serger is perfectly fine.
Depending on fullness desired (and length of the petticoat!), you are going
to want between 1 and 4 layers of gathered fabric. Here is where things get
different: petticoats usually have the ruffling on the legs side and use
softer fabrics, whereas crinolines have a stiffer ruffle (netting or
crinolining) that goes to the outside. A petticoat is made with a circular
skirt base and a crinoline can use either a circular or tubular base. I
make lots of both kinds so can 'walk you through it' if you'd like. For
more complete directions, drop me an e-mail with the type you need and
approximate size of person it is for.
Cynthia
(In British Columbia, Canada)
"romanyroamer" wrote in message
Simplicity and all the major pattern companies have patterns available for
petticoats and slips. You will also find victorian style ones in the

costume
section.........Amelia in Australia
wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been trying to make one of those "full" petticoats,
one that sticks out a lot, but I haven't found a pattern
and the few articles I've found on the web aren't all that
clear to me.

snip Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

-- AM

Old July 29th 05, 02:17 PM
Lee Kerrighan

In article ,
Lee Kerrighan wrote:
Correction needed!
I misspoke; you have to search for 8020, without the company name,
and the reviewer is Kathryn. Sorry about that.

Lee
Trish's method will give you good results. Another thing you might
consider is horsehair braid in the hem. With a circular skirt it
wouldn't work in the skirt itself, but in the petticoat hem it would
give stiffness at the hem edge only. You could see an example at
http://www.patternreview.com by searching for Vogue 8020. The review by
'fzxdoc' of this dress is very thorough, and she uses both horsehair
braid and netting ruffles to achieve fullness.
Lee

Old July 29th 05, 08:12 PM
Sarah Dale

Trish Brown wrote:
The resulting petticoat was *perfect* and the circular skirt sat
beautifully on it. With this particular garment, it suited me to allow
the net to show about eight inches beneath the skirt to good effect. One
slight drawback was the cut edge of the net: it's scratchy and snags
stockings. The best way around this, I found, was to run a narrow
overlocker (serger) rolled hem around it. Twice! This gave the hem body

With a petticoat made as Trish describes, I'd be tempted to make a
complete cotton half slip, and then apply the netting to the outside of
it, as per Trish's description. No more scratchies on the legs then!
That net can be vicous stuff!

HTH

Sarah