An Odd Question About Custom Fabrics

Old July 22nd 05, 08:13 AM
Pete Holland Jr.

Default An Odd Question About Custom Fabrics

Hey, everybody!

I recognize this is going to seem strange, but here it goes. Just want to
provide enough information so that you understand what I'm trying to do:

I enjoy camp shirts (a.k.a. club shirts). Most of the ones I find in the
store are too touristy, so I found a tailor who custom makes them for me.
I find fabric that I like, bring it to her, and she makes a shirt out of
it. It's worked out really well so far.

Part of the fun is experimenting with different designs, and here's where
things get iffy. I'm not sure if you are familiar with "megaprint" camp
shirts. Basically, it is a huge image/design, roughly the size of a movie
poster. There's a lot of shirt like this with characters from comic books
and Japanese animation.

I am a movie buff, and have a couple of movie posters that I would love to
have made into megaprint shirts. It occurs to me that getting the posters
put directly on the fabric (like what they do for wallhanging panels) would
work just fine. The problem is, where do I find a place that will do this?
What are minimum orders? Will they be willing to do the posters, seeing as
how I am not the copyright holder?

I should point out that I am not looking to sell these on eBay or anything
like that. I just want a shirt or two that conveys something about myself.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sincerely,
Pete Holland Jr.
Old July 22nd 05, 08:40 AM
Kate Dicey

Pete Holland Jr. wrote:

[...]

I have no idea if they will do this, but why not try the people who
print banners? They must be set up for short print runs or one-off's in
larger sizes than the T shirt printers... I don't know of any to
recommend here in the UK.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 22nd 05, 01:41 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , Pete Holland Jr. of XNet
Information Systems, Inc. uttered

I am a movie buff, and have a couple of movie posters that I would love
to have made into megaprint shirts. It occurs to me that getting the
posters put directly on the fabric (like what they do for wallhanging
panels) would work just fine. The problem is, where do I find a place
that will do this? What are minimum orders? Will they be willing to do
the posters, seeing as how I am not the copyright holder?

A lot of photo stores have the potential capability but, as you point
out, you do not own the copyright. Better to look for the fabric and
have it made up.

--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old July 22nd 05, 08:47 PM
Pete Holland Jr.

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

By the way, is that a Shakespeare reference or a Rumpole Of The Bailey
reference?

A lot of photo stores have the potential capability but, as you point
out, you do not own the copyright. Better to look for the fabric and
have it made up.

Well, the next best thing would be to create a design of my own, not
anything that violates copyrights but still gets the idea across. For
example, a poster of a dancing video game is copyrighted, but a unique
design with arrows is not. Would photo stores do that, too, or should I
find a textile manufacuter (presumably, the design would last longer)? I'm
in the US, by the way.

Sincerely,
Pete Holland Jr.
Old July 22nd 05, 11:45 PM
lm

Hi Pete,
Have you considered doing your own photo silkscreens? It's really not that
hard for monocolor. Materials available at any decent crafts store.

Old July 23rd 05, 03:06 AM
romanyroamer

SBS an Australian TV channel had a program about this last weekend. A
fashion designer in Sydney has fabric printed. she has it worked out on a
computer and then printed in small runs. It comes out looking amazingly
bright and clear. The fabric has a look of modern decoupage. To get around
copywrite laws she doesn't use all the image but cuts and pastes.
You should be able to find something on the link below in the"new series"
area. I can't remember the designers name
http://www.sbs.com.au/fashionista/
Hope this is of some help...Amelia

Old July 23rd 05, 03:09 PM
Smudge in Oz

Hi Pete
Down our way (Australia) we seem to have businesses that want to help
us create our own fabric designs (advertised in our craft - mostly
quilting - magazines) so I imagine you would most certainly have them
in your part of the world. Try checking for frims that will help with
printing photos and the like on fabric for memory quilts and have a
chat with them about printing all or parts of your posters on fabric
for you. You could try the link below which I accessed via a Google
search. Good luck.

http://www.colortextiles.com/

Smudge in Oz

Old July 23rd 05, 05:27 PM
zwm

I've always been under the impression that copyrights were to prevent
you from making a profit from the item, but you could use it for your
own use how ever you want.

This place looks interesting http://www.b3designsolutions.com/
You might try local print shop to copy picture on to a piece of fabric.
I know one of our local printshops has a way to do photocopies on to
t-shirts.

Old July 23rd 05, 05:42 PM
Laura Faussone

There's a product called Bubble Jet Set you use to treat cotton
fabric you then run through your ink jet printer. You're just
limited by the max width of paper your printer will accept. The
result is washable.

Laura
Old July 24th 05, 07:57 AM

zwm wrote:
I've always been under the impression that copyrights were to prevent
you from making a profit from the item, but you could use it for your
own use how ever you want.

10 Big Myths about Copyright Explained
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Stanford Copyright & Fair Use - Measuring Fair Use: The Four Factors
(This site explains when you can legally use copyrighted material
without permission from the owner)
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...pter9/9-b.html