Instructions for boxer flies

Old July 17th 05, 11:31 PM
Pam in Iowa

Default Instructions for boxer flies

The only thing my boys (24,19,15) will let me sew for them these days
are boxer shorts. I've got a great pattern, but I can't seem to figure
out how to put the fly in correctly. I've tried and eventually get
something that kind of looks like a commercial fly, but it is an ugly
process! Any good resources out there to explain this to me in a
different way?

Thanks.
Pam
Old July 18th 05, 02:10 PM

Dear Pam,

A fly should be easy, but I don't think I've seen this method in a
pattern instruction sheet.

If you have a separate piece for the fly, tape it to the front pattern
piece, matching the seam allowances. When cutting out, make a clip at
the fold line (where the seamline was). Clean finish the edge of the
center front seam, including the fly. On the under piece, measure over
1/4 inch from the seamline, within the fly piece, and press under. On
the upper piece, fold under right on the seamline and press. Sew the
crotch seam from the dot to the end. Baste the top together, and
complete.

If your kids are wearing the boxers so that they "show," they might not
want a working fly. In that case, tape the fly piece as described
above, sew the entire front seam, and when turned right-side-out, you
will have a little pocket formed from the fly. Press it inside, then
topstitch along the outside edge of the fly, but do it from the
outside.

My students made several hundred dollars one Valentine's Day making
boxers to sell on campus. The second method is the way we made them.

Teri