OT My trip to Bulgaria. long

Old May 21st 05, 07:37 PM
Shirley Shone

Default OT My trip to Bulgaria. long

I will have to write this in stages due to having much to do.
Before I start I would like to ask for your prayers for my friend Pat.
Pat is the neighbour who takes us on her boat. If we had not have gone
to Bulgaria we would have been on the boat with her this last week.

However whilst on the boat Pat went blind and is now in hospital with
brain inflammation and it is likely she will not regain her sight. They
had other people with them who could drive her home. Pat's husband and
son cannot drive and the family depend on her including her 84 year old
mother who lives with her.

Can I ask for a few RCB prayers and good vibes for my dear friend. I am
helped up at the moment with doing all the laundry after our holiday and
also keep running round to Pat's to do their holiday laundry.

Thursday May 12th
Our journey to Bulgaria was a late afternoon flight so we did not get
there until about 10 at night. They are 2 hours in front of us. So it
was a light supper, unpack and bed for us.

Friday May 13th

After the welcome meeting where we booked up the trips we wanted to go
on for the following week. We did intend going to Istanbul but since it
was early in the season the trip was not on offer. Also it was a 2 day
trip and it would have been difficult to get it in.

We just walked round the area to familiarise ourselves with it finding
out were things were. The grounds of the hotel had many trees. We were
amazed at the way they had built the hotel around the trees and not
cutting them down as they would have done here in the UK.

We had a lovely salad lunch in the open air. Dinner was a self service
affair. There was a varied choice but at times I struggled to follow my
diabetic diet. Breakfast was geared up to continental style with lots of
carbs.

Sat 14th May.
I did not sleep well I think DH can snore for England.
We went on a coach trip to Varna, and we visited the second largest
Cathedral in Bulgaria. It was the Cathedral of the Holy Virgin Mary a
Greek Orthodox religion. It had domes of Copper which came from England
and had been recently gilded. Inside there was a system of lighting
candles, the lower tier for the departed and the upper tier for the
living. I lit a candle and said a prayer for all my RCB friends who were
sick and have troubles to contend with.

Varna is the 3rd largest city in Bulgaria. After visiting the Cathedral
we were let loose in the shopping precinct. It was mainly geared up to
the young people with the fashions etc. We looked around and settled
down for another lunch. The Bulgarians are famous for their salads. It
was very cheap to. For two of us salad, bread and a glass of wine cost
3.50GBP about 7 dollars.

We then met up again and went to a wine tasting in a cellar. We tried
several Bulgarian wines which were quite good. The have a brandy but
they cannot market it as cognac so it is called wine brandy. DH bought a
bottle to bring home.. It was quite a warm day and after we got back to
the hotel we had a snooze before we got ready for dinner.

The scenery was very good with all the trees. Trees we nurture in our
gardens in UK were growing wild there. Lilacs, laburnums, wistarias also
a lovely cerise blossom which I could not identify. I could not get a
photograph either because of the speed of the coach.

Shirley
--
Shirley Shone
Old May 21st 05, 10:26 PM
Georgia

Your trip sounds great!
Hugs and prayers for your friend Pat!

Georgia

Old May 22nd 05, 12:51 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us, I'm looking forward to the
lots of love
Marisa AU/NZ

Old May 24th 05, 12:17 AM
Peggy

I love your travelogues, Shirley. Glad your back safely, and cannot wait
til the next installment.

;-)