Knitted Wire

Old March 22nd 05, 05:02 AM
Bridget

Default Knitted Wire

Has anyone else here ever made knitted wire necklaces?
Let me know if you're interested in some help to get you started. I'm so
addicted to it I am now selling them on ebay. They look really nice with all
kinds of beads. Right now I am using copper wire. I will probably do some in
silver or gold in the future but copper looks great with so many different
kinds of beads and stones and it is easy to work with.
Wire knitting is a bit hard on your hands until you get used to it. ANyway,
let me know if any of you are interested in trying it.
Thanks,
Bridget
--
Knitted Wire Treasure Necklaces
Created with knitted copper wire, found objects and beads.

Old March 22nd 05, 01:35 PM
Cindy Schoepp

I would love to learn how to knit some wire...I have seen and thought it was
always to hard :P!!
Cindy
www.uniquecreationsbycindy.ca

Old March 22nd 05, 01:56 PM
Peggy

I would love to learn how to knit some wire...I have seen and thought it
was always to hard :P!!

OMTP

Old March 22nd 05, 05:28 PM
Paulette Insall

OMTP too!

--
Paulette
SPIglass Studio ~ miniature works of art in glass

My eBay auctions
http://snipurl.com/spiglassauctions

My web journal
http://www.spiglass-studio.com/journal.htm

Old March 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
Christina Peterson

Nice work, but I would worry about copper discoloring my skin.

Susan Burwash from Edmonton used to post links to her knitted sterling wire.
Her work is under the name Wired Woman. Hasn't posted wire for a while.
She must be busy.

Tina

Old March 23rd 05, 03:13 AM
Bridget

Hello again!
I am going to start with the very basics of wire knitting.
I make most of my own spools but there is one commercial spool I recommend
to get you start. It's called the Wonder Knitter and it's made by Clover. A
Google search will lead you to places where you can buy it online. Your
local craft store may have it, too. It's only around $8.50 US. It has two
sets of of prongs. One is 3 pronged and one is 6 pronged.
For practice wire use 28 gauge brass because it is inexpensive and
relatively easy to find at the hardware store. The brand I use is made by
National.
Start with the 3 prong attachment and follow the directions given by the
manufacturer for wrapping the wire around the pegs. Each time you complete 3
stitches give a gentle tug to pull the knitted tube through the center of
the spool. Remember GENTLE. I'll expain why later.
Knit about 60 rows or however long you think you need it to fit comfortably
around your neck. You should have a very light springy tube. Don't worry if
your stitches are uneven. You will improve as you practice more.
Tying off: When you reach the last row cut the wire leaving a tail about six
inches long. Remove one loop at a time from the spool, threading this tail
through each loop as you go. The reason for doing this is to gather up the
last three stitches so you can gently tug it until both ends narrow somewhar
evenly. Otherwise you'll have one narrow end and one wide end.
Your first piece may seem flimsy because brass is so lightweight and you're
only using 28 gauge. Don't despair! Starting this way gives your fingers
time to adjust to working with wire.
Get your materials and follow my instructions. Let me know when you've
completed the first chain and I will show you how I make a clasp.
I will make every effor to respond to your emails each evening around this
time of night.
Have fun knitting!
Bridget

Old March 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
Bridget

Most of the copper I use is coated to prevent discoloration. and with the
knitted wire, very little of the wire actually touches your skin. A copper
ring would be a different story because it's worn so close to the skin and
hands perspire. Each person's body chemistry affects how much discoloration
it could cause.
I will see if I can locate Susan's site. I don't see too many wire knitters
online.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Sincerely,
Bridget Becker

Old March 23rd 05, 06:17 AM
Christina Peterson

She doesn't have much on her website at the moment, and no wire. But here
she is
http://www.wiredwomandesign.com/

There might be some useful links on her site.

Tina

Old March 23rd 05, 04:02 PM
Peggy

Thanks, Bridget! I'm pretty slow (pulled in many directions by work,
family, etc.) but I'm definitely interested in giving it a try. I will keep
you posted.

Old March 23rd 05, 06:52 PM
Dr. Sooz

Do you mean spool-knitted wire? Did you take a class in it taught by a
woman named Lisa?

Wire Density Questions Karen Chan Beads 2 August 29th 04 06:24 PM
AD: Wire Sculpture Jewelry videos on eBay & Accounting Magik Beads 2 June 21st 04 10:31 PM
Wire question Regina Beads 2 November 23rd 03 08:53 PM
Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools April H. Beads 13 September 12th 03 06:14 PM
I need beads! Rant and ? about wire mkahogan Beads 6 July 23rd 03 02:06 AM