Bagged a FInd!

Old March 29th 04, 04:55 AM

Default Bagged a FInd!

I felt sorry for her--an older, white-haired woman, she said she no
longer sewed, so she was selling her sewing room supplies. She seemed
happy that I lusted after her thread-bed. An economical 28' h x18"w, it
holds 143 spools--and most of the posts hold a full spool of thread. 120
spools. I am rather pleased with my latest find. Now to find wall space
for mounting it. My other thread racks are rolling racks, stashed under
the cutting table.
Cea humming

Old March 29th 04, 03:36 PM
Penny S

Trish Brown wrote:
I simply nailed two-inch nails into a flat pine board at regular
intervals (measured the width of a full spool of thread and added a
quarter inch to it). Each nail was angled at about about thirty
degrees and I screwed two little eyelets into the top edge of the
board. This thread bed held about fifty spools or so. I connected
some picture wire and hung the thread bed from the side of my sewing
table. It was *wonderful* and clearly I have to make another one!

Thanks for the kick-start, Cea!

I did a massive clean, sort an rearrange of my workroom this weekend. I
took photos of my home made thread holders just for grins, along with
other photos. My hubby makes the thread holders for me. I have two sizes,
one for cones and one for spools.

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/misc/workroom.htm

Penny S

Old March 29th 04, 08:01 PM
Emily

Trish, the dust is what made me put my thread in craft boxes instead of the
thread racks DS gave me once, they are in the attic now. The craft boxes
are stacked on a shelf, but the racks were hung and so much easier to find
the correct thread. I have three, one for serger and two for regular. Now,
you mention putting a flap of clear acetate over them. Brilliant idea! A
project for this weekend-find the racks, and some clear vinyl that's in my
stash somewhere..
Emily

Old March 29th 04, 11:28 PM
Trish Brown

BEI Design wrote:

snip

I also have two large pre-made cone holders for serger cones, and I
was given a couple more. They aren't full....

....yet. ;-)

--
Beverly
---to reply, delete no spam and .invalid---

ROTFL!!!! I *love* your '....yet', Beverly!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old March 30th 04, 01:51 AM
BEI Design

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

ROTFL!!!! I *love* your '....yet', Beverly!

Well, truth be told, I have an old Bernette MO234 serger, for which I
have about 40 cones. I just bought a (used) Huskylock 910 serger, and
a BabyLock Coverstitch, and a BabyLock blindhemmer. And they use two
to four cones _each_. And I try really hard to match thread to
garment color. So, I'm guessing I'll be buying a "few" more cones in
the near future. :-}

Old March 30th 04, 01:58 PM
Ward

Try using clear plastic food wrap to cover the spools. It sticks to itself
making it easier to use and it's cheap enough to throw out.

Liz