Advise needed, teaching sewing

Old July 13th 05, 05:44 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:34:48 -0400, "Ward" wrote:

Hello,

Two ladies working with a one of my relatives would like to learn how to
sew. I have been sewing since I was a little girl and would say my sewing
skills are pretty good. I've made everything except a formal gown. A basic
search on Google turned up a couple of interesting books on the subject that
I will try to get from the library before buying. Does anyone have any
advice for me? As far as I can tell by searching the phone book and
checking my local fabric stores, no adult classes are offered in the area.
There are several quilting classes, but no basic sewing for garments
classes. My main concern is teaching out of my house. I do have space and
three extra sewing machines, but I worry about strangers in the house.
These two ladies that are interest do not justify renting classroom space.
My ears are open to any ideas, any at all.
Thanks, Liz

My sister works at Hancock Fabrics and they have sewing classes. My
mom also used to teach at the local schools adult ed. sewing classes.
In Bedford MI, they have a community ed organization that teaches
classes like that also. Maybe this will give you some where to start.

Cindy

Old July 14th 05, 09:30 AM
Kate Dicey

Ward wrote:
[...]

Do you have a couple of portable sewing machines? Or do *they* have
sewing machines? If so, why not teach in one of *their* homes? All you
need is some cutting out space and a table for the machines. Next week
I'm back at my son's school, and will take 3 or four machines in for
them to play with: the Featherweight (kids love it coz it's so cute!),
the Elna Lotus (they love that too, coz it looks like a toy and works
like a pro!), and the Viscount (more stitches, but still simple, and
built like a brick netty!). I may also take Lily so we have another
zigzag machine (kids love Lily because she never messes up, and the boys
LOVE writing their names!)

Plan the lessons carefully, and give them some 'homework' to do between
lessons. I usually plan lessons round a simple garment, and we make a
portfolio of samples of each technique that they can keep and refer to
for ever more. Take a look at the Sewing for Dummies patterns as a
starting point, or the Kwick-Sew teaching patterns.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old July 14th 05, 08:29 PM
Ward

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Ward wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jeanne and Kate for your good advise. The two woman in question
won't be ready for sewing class until after summer. That gives me some time
to plan something. I do have portable machines that I could take to one of
their homes. No Hancock stores in this area, only Joann's ... lots of
Joann's.

Old July 14th 05, 11:19 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

"Ward" wrote in message
groups.com...
snipMy main concern is teaching out of my
house. I do have space and three extra sewing machines, but I worry
about strangers in the house. These two ladies that are interest do not
justify renting classroom space. My ears are open to any ideas, any at
all.
Thanks, Liz

snip
Plan the lessons carefully, and give them some 'homework' to do between
lessons. I usually plan lessons round a simple garment, and we make a
portfolio of samples of each technique that they can keep and refer to

for
ever more. Take a look at the Sewing for Dummies patterns as a starting
point, or the Kwick-Sew teaching patterns.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk

snip

Hi Liz:
Could I just add that, if they are complete newbies, do not start on
clothes? In my experience, making their own clothes and having problems
with fit and mistakes are what discourages most people from venturing forth
on their own....
I would suggest something simple like hotmats, teacosies, and butcher aprons
as beginning projects. Or: pillow cases and cushions, drawstring bags -
anything that they don't have to wear. From there I would graduate to the
"It's Sew Easy" patterns by Simplicity or the simpler Kwik Sew or Burda
patterns. Something to start with that gives them a sense of accomplishment
and an "I can" attitude goes a long way!
Cynthia

Old July 15th 05, 12:27 AM
Doreen

Cynthia Spilsted wrote:

Hi Liz:
Could I just add that, if they are complete newbies, do not start on
clothes? In my experience, making their own clothes and having problems
with fit and mistakes are what discourages most people from venturing forth
on their own....
I would suggest something simple like hotmats, teacosies, and butcher aprons
as beginning projects. Or: pillow cases and cushions, drawstring bags -
anything that they don't have to wear. From there I would graduate to the
"It's Sew Easy" patterns by Simplicity or the simpler Kwik Sew or Burda
patterns. Something to start with that gives them a sense of accomplishment
and an "I can" attitude goes a long way!
Cynthia

I agree! Just like in knitting...I've seen so many people get
completely turned off because they started out trying to learn to knit
with something that needed to 'fit', like a sweater. Much easier to
learn the basics on a dishcloth, or an afghan, and then tackle the
problems associated with gauge, etc.

Doreen in Alabama

Old July 15th 05, 01:45 PM
Amber

Several years ago there was a thread in the quilting newsgroup about
what people liked and disliked in teachers. You might look that up.

Old July 17th 05, 01:16 AM
Ward

"Amber" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you all for your help. I believe these two ladies do have very basic
sewing skills. They want to know how to insert a sleeve, do a cuff, the
different zippers including a fly front, buttonholes, and notched collars.
They haven't asked for classes on making a garment, just the skills they
will need to do it on their own. I'll keep you posted.

Liz

Old July 28th 05, 02:14 AM
sewing4ever

Looks like your students would be able to use a good book that shows
'how to'clearly. Try one of the following: "the Vogue/Butterick
step-by-step Guide to Sewing techniques" (any edition), the fashion
sewing book by Amaden Crawford (a Fairchild publication, any edition),
"Complete Guide to Sewing, Reader's Digest book (find an older edition,
the new one misses alot). There are lots of these books around, check
a used book seller for a great deal.
Have them create a workbook with samples they can refer to later if
they forget.
good luck!!!
'sewing4ever"

Old July 28th 05, 04:01 AM
Ward

oups.com...

Ward wrote:
"Amber" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the tip! The sample idea is a good one, plus I like the idea of
them leaving with something they can reference later on.

Liz