Brother sewing machines

Old February 7th 04, 09:43 PM
Kate Dicey

Pogonip wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:
Why is it that whenever I have a problem with a machine, it's one that
no-one else has ever had with that model? Wilf gets this look in his
eye as if to say What weird thing has she brought me this time?

It is a corollary of Murphy's Law.

We all hope Wilf can get the part and get Lily on her feet
again soon. It does seem more and more necessary to have
a back-up machine, preferably one with sufficient bells
and whistles. When you have so much to do, it can be so
frustrating not to have the tools you need.

I was down in the Tunbridge Wells shop today (a branch of Bromley Sewing
Machines, called World Of Sewing - another excellent shop with a large
sewing machine area, masses of garment fabrics, and a great LQS of it's
own!), and I was buying needles for the Minilock serger my friend has,
and the guy there said he'd changed about 3 step motors over the whole
range of manufacturers that use them, in all the years they'd out them
in the machines! He didn't think there would be a problem with the
getting the part, even so, as HV are usually very quick with these
things.

Frustrating is OK, with machines I can handle it. Frustration because I
made a mistake or did something to break the machine is not so easy to
cope with! NOT a thing I do very often, but still a pain!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old February 7th 04, 10:51 PM
Kate Dicey

Pogonip wrote:

I'm sure it must be a lovely basic machine. But I already
have a Pfaff 1475 and some Singer 401As, 306s, and a
houseful of other, mostly straight-stitch, machines. Oh,
and my W&G chainstitch. And a Thompson mini-walking
foot... I've given up on the Singer hemstitching
machine. Too many machines!!!

And then there are the knitting machines.....
and computers.....

Any treadles in there?

How about a treadle serger, or a treadle knitting machine...

Old February 8th 04, 01:45 AM
Pogonip

Kate Dicey wrote:

Pogonip wrote:

I'm sure it must be a lovely basic machine. But I already
have a Pfaff 1475 and some Singer 401As, 306s, and a
houseful of other, mostly straight-stitch, machines. Oh,
and my W&G chainstitch. And a Thompson mini-walking
foot... I've given up on the Singer hemstitching
machine. Too many machines!!!

And then there are the knitting machines.....
and computers.....

Any treadles in there?

How about a treadle serger, or a treadle knitting machine...

Many treadles, and a few handcranks. I have 3 sock
knitting machines that have a crank handle. My knitting
machines are not electronic, but mechanical. One uses
punchcards, the other is old old old and uses disks in a
cam. No motors on any knitting machines. A treadle would
be nice, but it takes hand-power, back and forth on the
beds of both of the flatbed machines.

In the sewing machine department, there's a Willcox &
Gibbs chainstitch treadle, a Singer 129 sphinx in a parlor
treadle, a Singer 66 Red-eye in a plain parlor treadle, a
Singer 15 which went in place of the 9W1 which came in
that treadle. It's resting on a shelf for now. There's
another treadle in the basement which could be put
together and given a head at any time. Oh, and there's
also a Singer 66 Lotus head in a treadle down there. I
forgot. I really need to get more organized.

Some folks have found old industrial sergers (overlocks)
that ran off a central pully as they do in factories, and
set them up on treadles.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/

Old February 8th 04, 10:19 AM
Kate Dicey

Pogonip wrote:

[...]

I really wish I had room for more, but our house is quite small, and I
really feel that one treadle (Singer 15-88 built in Canada) in excellent
working order, and one hand crank (Singer 66K with Lotaus decals) is
enough. The only two machines I really want now are both electric: an
Elna Lotus (tiny and cute - great for small kids), and a Featherweight
(ditto on the tiny, cute, etc!).
Old February 8th 04, 10:42 AM
Pogonip

Kate Dicey wrote:
I really wish I had room for more, but our house is quite small, and I
really feel that one treadle (Singer 15-88 built in Canada) in excellent
working order, and one hand crank (Singer 66K with Lotaus decals) is
enough. The only two machines I really want now are both electric: an
Elna Lotus (tiny and cute - great for small kids), and a Featherweight
(ditto on the tiny, cute, etc!).

They will come. I had a FW years ago and traded it in
when it needed to be rewired. I didn't realize then what
a small job that is! I got a Touch & Swear instead. In
the past few years, though, two featherweights have found
me; a later model with the striated faceplate, and an
older one with the wonderful ornate faceplate. No Elna
Lotus yet, but I would never pass one up!