Advice on finishing in a glass box

Old July 27th 03, 09:02 PM
Meredith

Default Advice on finishing in a glass box

Will this be a flat piece of embroidery?
Meredith

wild wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a piece that is in the ideas stage at the moment and I´m a bit
stuck on how to achieve the finish I want. Basically it will be on
organza (or some such fabric) which I want to be fixed in a glass (or
plastic, just must be clear) box, about halfway up. I really have no
idea about how I could neatly do this as I can´t hide anything in such a
setup (it should be viewable from ALL sides).

Any ideas?

Jacinta

Old July 27th 03, 10:03 PM
wild

At this stage, yes. Although it will incorporate stumpwork so it won´t
be "perfectly" flat. But it probably won´t extend for more than two
centimeteres on either side of the fabric.

Jacinta

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old July 27th 03, 11:01 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Hmmmmm. . . . . How about getting very fine wooden dowels and gluing the
organza - winding it around the dowels a bit. That way, the ends will
be hidden completely. Maybe even a 20-guage wire? (That would be hard).

I'd try clear glue, or try wheat paste (wallpaper paste) until you
decide how much to use and how clear it gets.

Actually, I wanted to wrap a fine wire for raised emb today and used
tacky glue and rayon ribbon floss for the wrapping. It turned out
beautifully. Though, I discarded the idea and did something different
for this particular motif. As I did this, I was wondering about flat
silk threads and twisting them together. grin

Dianne

Old July 27th 03, 11:20 PM
wild

I am planning on using shadow embroidery on it, as well as several other
things (as I said it is in the ideas stage and getting more and more
complicated with every new one ).

I´m more worried about how to fix the organza inside a clear box once
the embroidery is finished. Can you think of a way I could do this?

Jacinta

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:59:43 +0200, wild
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have a piece that is in the ideas stage at the moment and I´m a bit
stuck on how to achieve the finish I want. Basically it will be on
organza (or some such fabric) which I want to be fixed in a glass (or
plastic, just must be clear) box, about halfway up. I really have no
idea about how I could neatly do this as I can´t hide anything in such a
setup (it should be viewable from ALL sides).

Any ideas?

Jacinta

You need shadow embroidery, it will work like a charm.

Sheena

--
ÐÏࡱá

Old July 28th 03, 01:26 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

If you have two boxes of identical size (let's say 1/2-inch thick by 9 x
10 rectangle) you could glue the organza to the bottom box, then lay the
second box and glue on top.

If you're talking about either a plexiglass or wood box, you could get
yourself a Dremel and groove all four sides and glue the organza into
the groove.

Anything you do is gonna be a fiddly project grin.
Dianne

wild wrote:
I was considering something like that, but I really wanted it to be
virtually no thicker than the fabric..perhaps the wires... oh my skills
are just not up to my imagination!

Another question, do you know a good way to stiffen organza without
putting a thicker backing fabric on it? Using the bondaweb (or whatever
its called) might not be enough.....

Jacinta

Old July 28th 03, 05:19 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Jacinta

I have some of my work sealed inside of what is akin to a thermo-pane
window, thus it is free floating, for all intensive purposes.

Are you looking to suspend your project inside of a clear glass box
where all of the edges are exposed?

On some of the cross-stitch I have done, I have wrapped the selvedge
around a plastic coated heavy wire frame, before completing the
cross-stitching around the edges.
In other cases, I have folded the selvedge 3 squares outside of the
image, cross-stitched it in place, then added a series of
strenghthening letter H's around the border. Then this was whipped to
the plastic coated heavy wire frame.

One piece that I did for my grandmother many eons ago, had no frame of
any kind. I took a sheet of glass and glued with cynacrolate resin
little standoffs, that look like plastic push pins only without the
needle around the perimeter of the glass, in from the edge about 1/4
inch and spaced 2 inches apart. These were used for centering and
stretching the piece so that it appeared suspended in the glass using
clear polyester/monofilament line.
Once I was happy with the work, a drop cynacrolate resin was placed on
the top of each peg and a second piece of glass was centered over the
first. The glass shop wrapped a film around the pegs and then sealed
the unit with silicone. Then they drew the vacuum and injected the
gas they put in and sealed their injection area.

To hide the pegs, a wood frame was placed around the edge of the glass
on both sides. The monofilament was visible, but not detracting.

TTUL
Gary

Old July 28th 03, 07:19 PM
Marjorie Holme

Framers use clear plastic square rods as spacers between the glass and a
mounted work---they come with an adhesive on one side and could be
adhered to the needlework or the glass box using this and using a clear
glue for the second joint. They are not as thin as you appear to be
looking at---but they are clear and would be easy to work with.

Or you could mount your work onto a piece of glass and use the spacers,
adhered to the glass box, as stops in front of and behind the glass
mount. There's a needlework glue that is being used to mount Hardanger
designs by Janice Love onto glass night lights, sun catchers and other
items where transparency is required. I haven't used it but many
needlework shops carry it. It dried clear. Marjorie

Old July 28th 03, 09:00 PM
Ellice

On 7/27/03 6:20 PM,"wild" posted:

I am planning on using shadow embroidery on it, as well as several other
things (as I said it is in the ideas stage and getting more and more
complicated with every new one ).

I´m more worried about how to fix the organza inside a clear box once
the embroidery is finished. Can you think of a way I could do this?

Jacinta

You can have a framer do what is called "floating it in glass" - in which
case the piece is sandwhiched between 2 panes of glass. Can be displayed,
size dependent, on a table easel, or suspended where you can see back and
front. When working at the LNS/framers we did some autographed sports
jerseys (huge) this way - for a corporate account. And have done several
other pieces that way.

Just a thought.

ellice

Old July 28th 03, 10:45 PM
wild

That would have looked fantastic! What a great finishing idea!

Jacinta

Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote:
[...]

For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 08:19 PM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
FA: $5.00The Technique of Stained Glass Elric of Imrryr Marketplace 0 July 30th 03 03:53 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM