Brazilian embroidery

Old July 26th 03, 10:12 PM
Dawn 0

Default Brazilian embroidery

Dianne Lewandowski wrote in message ...
There are lots of BE sites. Go to google.com and do a search on
Brazilian Embroidery. Madge Haycock has a lovely site in Canada,
there's JD Embroidery . . . a whole host of sites with amicable people
behind the scenes. Peggy Crawford used to subhost from me, but she's
had a life full and stopped for the time being.

Dianne

Dawn 0 wrote:
Hi,

I was a dedicated cross stitcher, I knit, I crochet, I needlepoint
etc.
Today while in my LNS I saw Brazilian embroidery and loved it. DO any
of you do this needlework? Is there a site on how to?

WIP Knitted shawl, crochet afghan, remodeling kitchen, a cross stitch

Diane,

Have you done any of the Brazilian stitching? If so, do you enjoy
it? Is it an expensive craft? My LNS is offering a class through the
school system. It is only 21.00 for supplies and a 5.oo registration
fee. I will probably try it.

Dawn0

Old July 26th 03, 11:38 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

First of all: a caution . . . I'm telling you as much as I can in one
post. Don't be scared by what you read. None of this is hard. HONEST.
It's just "different". So, if you're pretty handy with needle/thread,
and have had some experience with surface embroidery, you should have no
problem whatsoever learning it.

Yes, I've done a fair amount of Brazilian.
Some people just love it. Others don't. The reasons I've gathered
(because I ask), is the colors.

To be classified as "Brazilian Embroidery", the work must be done in
rayon threads. Also, bullions are the mainstay (easy to do with rayon),
as well as ordinary embroidery stitches that are made more complex by
additional twists/turns of thread and needle.

Rayon is rather "neon" in appearance. It literally jumps out at you.
Some people adore this. Some people can't stand it.

So, if you like the "look", but don't like the coloration, there's ways
around this. You can use other threads that are cotton or silk (or
perhaps a combo of rayon/silk like Cifonda or Empress silk) and do the
same embroidery techniques. I've only seen one skein of the Cifonda
(Empress) and it is MUCH softer in coloration. I don't know what the
rest of the line is like, just guessing from this "red" - which is
gorgeous. (Thanks to the two rctners who sent this!)

I've done Brazilian "techniques" in wool, with lovely results.

Rayon thread is a little "ornery". You will probably receive all sorts
of advice to make it behave. Most of them anecdotal. Several here at
RCTN recommend Thread Heaven to tame it. So, if after a lesson, you
just throw up your hands in frustration, try that.

In my not so humble opinion, you're better off just learning to use it.
GO SLOW! The thread needs to rest a bit. So, if you're doing a stem
stitch, don't just whip along like you usually do. Do a couple, let the
thread rest a few seconds. Do a few more. Same with a bullion: Get
the thread in position, stop a second, wind, stop a second . . . etc.

Good luck in your class, DawnO. You'll do great, I just know it. Most
people that try it, like it - if for no other reason than the experience
of something different that they can apply in their needlework
adventures. I wish Peggy Crawford was still designing. Her's were unique.

Dianne

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Embroidery software ola Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 12:27 PM
FA: Canvas Embroidery for Beginners by Sylvia Green 1970 HB Number1Fred Marketplace 0 January 20th 05 08:22 PM
ebay: crochet thread and Brazilian Embroidery package marilyn safier Marketplace 0 January 29th 04 05:37 PM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM