Dolphins

Old July 27th 03, 04:14 PM
animaux

Default Dolphins

Oh I have Mika doing flip dips, twirls, head bobbings, puff outs and she is
getting roller skates. She also takes a shower with me daily and LOVES it. She
near stretches her neck a foot out so she can get directly under the water. I
keep it luke warm, not hot, and she is going to learn to ride a bike. And, she
plays peek a boo, all trained. She is potty trained. Hold her over the basket
and say "go poop," and out comes a poop. She has areas where she is allowed to
poop at will, and we did that so she doesn't get sick from waiting for the poop
command.

And yes, you come to Texas, we first go to Gingers, then to Hobby Lobby, where
all stitching kits are half price this week...BTW.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:41:54 +0100, "Pat Porter"
wrote:

As if I`d bomb Victoria`s hot-tub - she`s invited us both to share it! I
can dream of a trip to Texas, can`t I? I don`t imagine that Victoria need
worry on that score, though!

All the same, well trained or well looked after as they miht be they`re not
SUPPOSED to be trained OR looked after. The women in harems were well
trained and usually well cared for - but they weren`t free. Much better
freedom in the big wide world to take their chances. I don`t even like to
see performing sea-lions, much as they might APPEAR to enjoy it. I don`t
even teach my dog to perform tricks - I teach it to be obedient for
everyone`s sake, including that of the dog, but tricks diminish it in my
opinion.

Pat P
wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:15:51 GMT, animaux
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:41:28 -0300, wrote:

I have a problem with this. Why should a dolphin be kept in
captivity for the entertainment/betterment of a human? I have always
disliked this. Having observed dolphins swimming freely alongside
boats and a ship at sea, their speed, agility and grace, how could ANY
contained pool suffice for them ?? The same applies to whales.

I look at them and my heart bleeds for them, a quick flip of their
body and they are to the other side of their container, cruel in my
opinion. Why do you even suppose a dolphin could be happy in these
circumstances ?

Sheena - I say let them go, to be free and surf through the miles of
water where they belong!

Normally I would agree with you, but the work they are doing with these
beautiful, intelligent creatures is outstanding. The pools they are kept

in are
not what you think. These pools are fifty feet deep and I want to say

football
field length. I'm not talking about the show areas, which are still 50

feet
deep, but behind the scenes.

These animals have established bonds with their people. They are bred in
captivity so we can study them and help promote the care and we need to

take and
how fragile the earth is. These whales, along with sperm whales and many

other
whales were hunted almost into extinction. Dolphins are killed daily in

tuna
nets. They say now, but it's a very big investigation right now. On top

of
that, tuna is not even safe to eat because of the high levels of mercury.

I am not trying to persuade you in any way, but knowing how I love

animals and
how I take care of the ones I've had all my life, till today, you must

trust me
on this one. These animals love what they do. You can see it. I could

feel
it.

Want to get angry, write, scream, pounce and trample what they do to

circus
animals. How they abuse elephants beyond reproach. Those poor tigers. I

could
think of dozens and dozens of things out there which are much more

important to
clamber about than Sea World.

I mean nothing in any way to be contrary, you know that, Sheena. I was

afraid
to go because I didn't know if I'd turn and walk out. I walked in and it

was
magical.

I am sure they do have attachments and bonds to those in charge -
these are high energy animals. Can you imagine how you would feel if
you had to live in a little cell with nothing much to do? What do
you think you would do, or how would you relate, to the person who
trains you? I know it is wrong to endow animals with human
feelings but in this instance, I still feel it is correct to empathize
with a powerful animal stuck in a pen. It may be 50 feet deep, but
that is nothing to a dolphin!

I was just totally surprised that you would feel it is okay - we have
to agree to disagree on this one. But then again, it is two against
one, Pat sees it the same way I do, so watch out for bombs dropping
from the sky on your hot tub.

Sheena

Old July 27th 03, 05:22 PM
Liz Hampton

Oh I have Mika doing flip dips, twirls, head bobbings, puff outs and she is
getting roller skates. She also takes a shower with me daily and LOVES it.

snip
and she is going to learn to ride a bike.

We have friends who have a performing parrot show and those birds truly LOVE
to perform. They tried one of DH's cockatoos once but, even though she
could do the actions, she didn't really enjoy the performing part so we got
her back. They do (among other things) skates, scooters and bicycles.
They have a two seated bicycle but, like children, both birds want the front
seat. :-))) The site, if you want to see the props they use is:
http://www.happybirds.com. I do have to admit that we have a close
connection. I worked with Julie's mom (veterinary technicians) during the
time when DH (bird person) worked with her brother in a precision sheet
metal shop. Julie's interest in birds (she was 14 at the time) eventually
led to the blind date that got DH & I together almost 21 years ago. :-)) DH
introduced Julie to a local bird trainer and Julie's mom introduced DH to
me. :-)) DH makes the scooters, skates, bikes and swing that she now uses.
Liz from Humbug

Old July 27th 03, 08:19 PM
animaux

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:22:07 -0700, Liz Hampton wrote:

[...]

Yes, I will be sure to go to that website. Mika does things like clockwork.
The parrot library of books I have read all say similar things. I'm in on the
computer now, Mika is in the great room inside and I can hear her ringing all
her bells, and she does this thing where she makes believe her toe is caught so
we come rescue her! What a smart little thing. The books said parrots will do
that. So far, she's right on track.

When we get out of the shower, I put a towel on and she gets her washcloth
towel! She lets me hold her in the towel for about five minutes, then I gently
blow dry her, which she also loves. This whole bird experience is enchanting.

Miami dolphins Lisa Caryl Beads 1 August 19th 03 09:49 PM
Attn: Jalynne Miami Dolphins and Quilting Mary Rurup Beads 3 August 19th 03 05:33 AM
Dolphins (was) Banned from the Garden!--very long Pat Porter Needlework 1 July 22nd 03 11:19 PM
Dolphins Pat Porter Needlework 0 July 22nd 03 01:32 PM