Turk's Head Bracelet

Old May 24th 05, 04:00 AM
Scott

Default Turk's Head Bracelet

I'm trying to make a turk's head bracelet for myself but can't quite
get it down. I found
http://www.troop1705.com/Downloads/TurksHead.pdf which is pretty close
to what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to figure out how to get as
many loops in it as I want.
http://www.jcrew.com/images/nov299/b...781_GR7079.jpg has one that
has a lot more loops repeated than the article I found shows you how to
do. Any way to more closely replicate the jcrew one? Also, what kind
of line would you suggest for this? I tried with thin rope like you
would use on a boat but it seems to be too stiff and is probably
rougher than you would want a bracelet to be. Thanks!

Scott

Old May 24th 05, 06:39 AM
Abrasha

Scott wrote:
I'm trying to make a turk's head bracelet for myself but can't quite
get it down. I found
http://www.troop1705.com/Downloads/TurksHead.pdf which is pretty close
to what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to figure out how to get as
many loops in it as I want.
http://www.jcrew.com/images/nov299/b...781_GR7079.jpg has one that
has a lot more loops repeated than the article I found shows you how to
do. Any way to more closely replicate the jcrew one? Also, what kind
of line would you suggest for this? I tried with thin rope like you
would use on a boat but it seems to be too stiff and is probably
rougher than you would want a bracelet to be. Thanks!

Scott

http://www.golden-knots.com/tie5x4.html

and

http://www.golden-knots.com/tie7x8.html
http://members.aol.com/StanDCmr/braid.html
http://www.troop54.com/knots/TurksHe...ksHeadKnot.htm
http://www.scoutxing.com/knots/turks...turks_head.htm (animated)
http://knotical-arts.com/turkshead.html
http://knotical-arts.com/nantucket5.html
http://www.seascouts.ca/knots/turk.htm
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_Decorative.htm
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Tejay480/images/home.html
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/1066/524turkshead.html#TURK'S-HEAD%20WOGGLE
http://home.tiscali.nl/knotsandknottying/knots8.htm

You should really give Google a try. Amazing technology. The search
took .21 seconds. Clicking and checking the results another 5 minutes.
There were another 5000 or so results, but you can check those yourself!

Next time, I'm gonna charge ye, mate.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old May 24th 05, 09:48 AM
Phil le Nième

Scott a écrit :
I'm trying to make a turk's head bracelet for myself but can't quite
get it down. I found
http://www.troop1705.com/Downloads/TurksHead.pdf which is pretty close
to what I'm looking for, but I can't seem to figure out how to get as
many loops in it as I want.
http://www.jcrew.com/images/nov299/b...781_GR7079.jpg has one that
has a lot more loops repeated than the article I found shows you how to
do. Any way to more closely replicate the jcrew one? Also, what kind
of line would you suggest for this? I tried with thin rope like you
would use on a boat but it seems to be too stiff and is probably
rougher than you would want a bracelet to be. Thanks!

Scott

Here you will find all you need and more

http://knotical-arts.com/nantucket1.html

Have fun

Philippe

Old May 25th 05, 03:06 AM
Scott

Yeah, I've seen the majority of those websites posted. Believe me, I
looked everywhere to find that pdf file. That seems to be the easiest
to follow of anything I've found. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly what
I was looking for. If I understand correctly, that link to the Jcrew
one has 13 bights and 3 leads? Do you have any idea if I can adopt the
pdf design to get 13 bights without dealing with the pvc pipe?

Old May 25th 05, 04:09 PM
Peter W. Meek

On Wed, 25 May 2005 02:06:04 GMT, "Scott"
wrote:

Yeah, I've seen the majority of those websites posted. Believe me, I
looked everywhere to find that pdf file. That seems to be the easiest
to follow of anything I've found. Unfortunately, it isn't exactly what
I was looking for. If I understand correctly, that link to the Jcrew
one has 13 bights and 3 leads? Do you have any idea if I can adopt the
pdf design to get 13 bights without dealing with the pvc pipe?

There are books that tell how to "promote" a
turk's head up to larger numbers of bights
or leads, but I really think my system is best
for people wanting to make just one or two
knots of a given size. It is fairly foolproof
and you can get scrap PVC in all sizes from
any plumber. I'd get a scrap of 4" and 3"
to make bracelets.

--
--Pete
"Peter W. Meek"

Old May 27th 05, 01:38 AM
Scott

so it is more complicated than just crossing the string over one more
time or something? I was hoping the answer would lie in step 6 on that
pdf or something... I feel like its right infront of me but I can't
figure it out. Maybe I'll just buy one next time I see it.

Old June 2nd 05, 02:56 AM
Jamaro

Forget about all these aids it is much simpler to tie a simple 3 lead by 2
bight turkshead in hand and then use the three strand braiding technique to
add more bights.
Having made your 3x2 (plenty of sites should show you how to make that but
make sure it is a loose weave) It is then a case of crossing the two looped
strands over and using the third (free end) to weave between them. The trick
is to ensure that the free third strand locks the weave. you can continue
the pattern by alternately weaving right over left and left over right
always using the third free strand to lock the weave.
Using this method I have created hat bands with 3 leads by 35 bights. Its a
pretty thin turkshead but can be made more substantial by going over it and
doubling or trebling the original lead. It takes a little practice to get
the technique but once you realise the trick its very easy to do.
I have some photos of the technique somewhere unfortunately not on a website
but I can look them out if you need them.
Regards
Jamaro

Old November 12th 05, 01:53 AM
Ted Edwards

Peter W. Meek wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2005 03:00:47 GMT, "Scott"
wrote:
I'm trying to make a turk's head bracelet for myself but can't quite

As long as the number of bights and leads have no
common divisors other than one, you can make it a
turk's head.

I can't help but smile here. :-) Just a while back I was reading a
thread here where someone was claiming that mathematics had no
relationship to "real" knots. The above sentence can be stated as, "The
numbers of bights and leads are relatively prime."

Ted

Turk's Head Cross Pattern fid Knots 0 December 1st 04 02:57 AM
Bracelet Swap RULES!!!!!!!!! Black Cat Beads Beads 2 June 1st 04 04:35 PM
AD: one and two-day beading workshops - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Beads 1 February 26th 04 09:14 PM
High Mercury Content in Silver Bracelet KJ Jewelry 8 December 23rd 03 04:57 AM
turks head Gerald Diamond Knots 1 July 31st 03 02:04 PM