sewing machine

Old December 4th 04, 08:36 PM

Default sewing machine

Do I need an industrial sewing machine for make traveling luggage?
If I do need it, what kind of machine do I have to buy?
Thanks

Old December 4th 04, 08:58 PM
Diana Curtis

Depends on what type of material you plan to construct your luggage with. If
you are using plate steel, then the answer is yes.
Diana, not totally tongue in cheek

--
Weird people need beads, too
oups.com...

Old December 4th 04, 09:09 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Depends on how many pieces of luggage you plan on making.

Industrial machines are usually designed to do one thing (whatever that is)
very well, at high speeds, all day long.

If you're making one set of luggage for yourself or a gift, a good quality
domestic machine (and a really stout needle!) could probably do it. I
remember Mom sewing and binding all the carpeting for Dad's sports car on
her old machine.

If you're going to spend 8 hours a day making luggage, you'll want an
industrial machine. You'll need to think about what kinds of stitches you'll
need, and talk to an industrial machine dealer. (Most bigger cities have
them). They'll also probably have a few used models sitting around, too, and
very attractively priced.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

oups.com...

Old December 7th 04, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the information. I am going to use 1680 Denier Luggage Grade
Nylon
to make my luggages. Would you please give me some suggestions?
Thanks

Old December 7th 04, 05:08 PM
Julia in MN

Back about 1980, a company called Frostline and another called Altra
marketed kits for making down vests and jackets, as well as kits for
making back packs, duffel bags, etc. I made a duffel bag on my regular
sewing machine with no problems and my sister made my son a back pack. I
think the duffel bag was Altra; the back pack was Frostline. Some of the
cheaper, lighter weight home sewing machines might have problems when
sewing through the heavy fabric, especially where seams cross or where
you have the strapping. My old Elna Supermatic had no problems, and I
think my current Elna would also handle it just fine.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old December 7th 04, 07:14 PM
MB

I made Altra items....a fleece jacket and another spring wt jacket. Also a
duffel bag
that lasted for years...that might have been Frostline. I had a briefcase
kit for years...might still have it...still unsewed...probably my oldest
UFO!...(Although it might have gone out the
last clean sweep ) ..The only problem I had was the fact
that the fabric was coated on the backside that made it kind of rubbery
....so I had
to kind of push it thru but my Bernina 930 sewed it beautifully. Mary

Old December 7th 04, 07:52 PM
Julia in MN

MB wrote:
I made Altra items....a fleece jacket and another spring wt jacket. Also a
duffel bag

..
..
..
that lasted for years...that might have been Frostline. The only problem I had was the fact
that the fabric was coated on the backside that made it kind of rubbery
...so I had
to kind of push it thru but my Bernina 930 sewed it beautifully.

I had a roller presser foot for my Supermatic; I suspect that I used
that to help feed the coated fabric through. I bought the roller foot
when I made vests or snowsuits for my kids from pre-quilted nylon. It
helped those to feed through the machine evenly.

I also had a Frostline backpack; when I was going to buy the kit, they
sold me the "floor model" instead for the same price. I used it for 2
years when I went back to college. Then my son used it through high
school and all four years of college. It stood up well.

Old December 7th 04, 10:19 PM
Bonnie

Julia in MN wrote:
Back about 1980, a company called Frostline and another called Altra
marketed kits for making down vests and jackets, as well as kits for
making back packs, duffel bags, etc. I made a duffel bag on my regular
sewing machine with no problems and my sister made my son a back pack. I
think the duffel bag was Altra; the back pack was Frostline. Some of the
cheaper, lighter weight home sewing machines might have problems when
sewing through the heavy fabric, especially where seams cross or where
you have the strapping. My old Elna Supermatic had no problems, and I
think my current Elna would also handle it just fine.

Julia in MN

I remember the down vests - I made several. I
also remember the down slippers! I also used an
Elna to make them.

--
Bonnie
NJ

FAQ RCTQ for newbies and oldtimers alike Diana Curtis Quilting 15 January 11th 04 06:20 PM
FAQs for Newbies and Longtimers Diana Curtis Quilting 21 December 8th 03 12:52 PM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM
New addition to the sewing machine family shhdesigns Quilting 2 August 6th 03 01:57 AM