Beginner's Class nightmare

Old November 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
KI Graham

Default Beginner's Class nightmare

Teaching two beginners' classes, using my Bible Block patterns. Class #1 has
16 students [what WAS I thinking?]; Class #2 has 6. Which class would you
figure to be the nightmare group?

Wrong! Two of my mid-week quilting buddies took pity on me for my ginourmous
class and offered to come along to provide back-up. With their help and
patient students, class #1 has proven to be a lot of fun: everyone has
completed Jacob's Ladder plus Cross and Crown. 15 have decent functioning
sewing machines and one is using my old machine until he gets his own
machine from his parents. Everyone is happy with their blocks--14 have made
great fabric choices and 2 are working from my stash of fabrics for charity
quilts.

Class #2 has only had two lessons so far: picking out fabric in lesson one,
and Jacob's Ladder in lesson two. AFTER supply lists have been handed out,
after the fabric store trip to show how to choose fabric, two students
showed up without machines; one brought only one piece of fabric and thought
she would start with that [what was she going to sew it TO, one wonders?];
one brought two shirts to cut apart for fabric; one has bursitis in her
shoulder and can't cut; and one has a brand new sewing machine still in the
box that she has never even threaded [and she hasn't sewn since grade 8!]
So...I used my old machine plus my new baby, gave them charity fabric to
practice on, co-opted the only person who came prepared to help the one with
the new machine and slapped a smile on my face as the lesson finally got
underway 45 minutes late! They got the 4-patch units for Jacob's Ladder
done, and I demonstrated the 1/2 square triangles. Next class this
Wednesday.....I think I'm getting a headache already. AAAAARGH

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old November 2nd 04, 05:01 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Oh, Kim!

It does seem to work this way, though. I really love big classes and
find the to be such a fun community thing. I have recently decided that
I won't do classes of less than four. They just aren't so fun and the
problems seem to magnify in a little class.

Hopefully the troublesome group will get in the swing of things QUICKLY!
Meanwhile, at least you have class #1 to look forward to and enjoy.

Hang in there. Teaching is never dull, is it?

marcella

Old November 2nd 04, 06:31 PM
Patti

Well Kim, you're a better gal than I am Gungha Din (to misquote a famous
old saying). I would never have had the patience to act as you did.
I'd have been furious. As furious as I was when I had taken lots of
measures (hours of work) to make sure a workshop for a nearby group was
going to go smoothly, only to be told be several that it was too hot to
do any work, and that they weren't going to - and they didn't. Another
did it all wrong and said 'well my method looks OK'; another pair sat
and discussed (on the table right in front of me) an antique doll.
Grrrr. So, I entirely sympathise with you.
..
In article BYOhd.98419$Pl.85768@pd7tw1no, KI Graham
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 2nd 04, 08:43 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message
Oh, Kim!

It does seem to work this way, though. I really love big classes and
find the to be such a fun community thing. I have recently decided that
I won't do classes of less than four. They just aren't so fun and the
problems seem to magnify in a little class.

It's not just quilting / sewing, either. When I teach stenciling or faux
finishing, a class of 12 is a breeze. A class of 4 is Excedrin headache
time. There must be some group psychology that makes people behave better in
a large class.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old November 3rd 04, 01:01 AM
Lisa Caryl

"Patti" wrote in message
Well Kim, you're a better gal than I am Gungha Din (to misquote a famous
old saying). I would never have had the patience to act as you did.
I'd have been furious. As furious as I was when I had taken lots of
measures (hours of work) to make sure a workshop for a nearby group was
going to go smoothly, only to be told be several that it was too hot to
do any work, and that they weren't going to - and they didn't. Another
did it all wrong and said 'well my method looks OK'; another pair sat
and discussed (on the table right in front of me) an antique doll.
Grrrr. So, I entirely sympathise with you.

And I with you, Patti.
One of worst ones was when two students showed up 20 minutes late, and then
proceeded to discuss a wedding they had been to the evening before. They
talked through the ENTIRE CLASS!!! I found out they were school teachers.
All I could think was that I wished it was a real school situation so I
could have given them a week's detention! I'm glad that this class was not
at the local shop where I teach regularly. Hopefully I'll never run into the
Gabby Twosome again.

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

Old November 3rd 04, 12:43 PM
mauvicem

Maybe it's in the air, my last class was the same....2 talked to each other,
another one goes to work at 4:30 AM so at 7:30 PM she's a little loopy
(understatement), One of the chatty duo didn't bring a machine (the store
provided one, which had to be set up)...another of the duo has a wonderful
machine which she constantly bungles up by turning dials until it sews with
an old needle AND the machine needs cleaning desparately!!!!!!
The only one who came close to finishing the project, used a fluffy poly
batting so it was wonky!
I earned my money for those classes..... It is in all instructions we use
low loft but reccomend Warn n Natural, new needle and INSTRUCTION book for
your machine....NO ONE Reads!!!!
The chatty pair never looked at the instructions they expected me to tell
them the measurement of each patch....When I did tell them they talked as I
talked, so I had to repeat myself..... then they interrupted me when I was
talking with someone else....
I hope I don't repeat that class soon.....

Old November 3rd 04, 01:30 PM
Maureen Wozniak

It does sound like a nightmare. As I know from a machine quilting class
I took, only one unprepared person can drag the class down. I can't
imagine 5.

Maureen

Old November 3rd 04, 03:13 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:01:08 -0600, "Lisa Caryl"
wrote:

And I with you, Patti.
One of worst ones was when two students showed up 20 minutes late, and then
proceeded to discuss a wedding they had been to the evening before. They
talked through the ENTIRE CLASS!!! I found out they were school teachers.
All I could think was that I wished it was a real school situation so I
could have given them a week's detention! I'm glad that this class was not
at the local shop where I teach regularly. Hopefully I'll never run into the
Gabby Twosome again.

You should have made them free-motion quilt "I will not talk in
class" 20 times before they could go.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old November 3rd 04, 03:49 PM
Lisa Caryl

You should have made them free-motion quilt "I will not talk in
class" 20 times before they could go.

-- Jo in Scotland

Heheheh......it was a different sort of class, or I would have been tempted
to!

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

any resonable metalsmith class for beginners -NYC? gemstud Jewelry 4 January 30th 05 10:05 AM
STORY - Middle School Engineering Class roxan Beads 1 June 10th 04 06:39 AM
electrum Pierdas Jewelry 4 April 25th 04 09:04 PM
a beginners' quilt class [email protected] Quilting 23 January 20th 04 04:03 PM
OT(?) : PMC Class report (long) KDK Beads 13 August 28th 03 08:36 PM