Prayers & Squares

Old June 21st 04, 02:28 PM
Kim E

Default Prayers & Squares

My church just started a Prayers & Squares Ministries.
http://prayerquilt.tripod.com/prayerquilt/index.html The idea is that
lap-size quilt tops are made, basted, and ties placed in them. People
come by, say a prayer for the recipient, and tie a knot. We meet once
a month, some work on tops, some layering, basting, and threading
strings for tying.

I saw the link here on RCTQ to the Hidden Wells pattern. I thought
Prayers & Squares was a good place for my effort.

Kim
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kimenews/my_photos
Old June 21st 04, 06:50 PM
Dreamweaver

People
come by, say a prayer for the recipient, and tie a knot.

I love this idea. I had an American Indian friend who was very traditional.
She was preparing a shawl for ceremony and explained that each tassel she
added contained a prayer. What a precious gift.
--
Whoohoo!
Dreamweaver

om...

Old June 23rd 04, 12:51 PM
merrystitch

Oh, Kim, thank you so much for the link to the Prayers & Squares Ministries.
My minister has asked me to head up our quilt ministry & being a person who
is terrified of speaking in front of large groups, I didn't know where to
begin. The sewing part was easy, but how do I spread the word? This site
will be very helpful. I've printed out almost every page on the site except
for the patterns. I've already made one quilt and a Noah's Ark book for a
little toddler, but now we can get a committee ready & go to town sewing!!
I just so excited about this.

Merrystitch

om...

Old June 24th 04, 02:27 AM
Susan Laity Price

Thank you for this link. I had never heard of this organization. We
have had a quilting group at our church for six years. Our major
project was to make quilts for the missionaries supported by the
church.

The first series of quilts we had to make in a hurry because the
missions conference was coming in just a few months. The quickest
block I could think of was the triple rail. A signature in the center
rail would give the quilts a little more character. The Lord lead me
to that idea because the signatures of church members pledging to pray
for the missionary was the most meaningful thing we could have done
for the missionaries.

I will present the idea of the Prayers and Squares to our group this
fall and see if they want to expand the ministry.

Thanks again for sharing about this group.

Susan Price