Drilling Holes in rocks that have been tumbled

Old December 9th 04, 05:55 AM
Bill Becker

Default Drilling Holes in rocks that have been tumbled

Hello all, My daughter just started tumbling rocks, she would like to make
some necklaces and earrings, so what do you use to drill holes in the stone?

Thanks
Bill

Old December 9th 04, 03:38 PM

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 05:55:48 GMT, "Bill Becker"
wrote:

Hello all, My daughter just started tumbling rocks, she would like to make
some necklaces and earrings, so what do you use to drill holes in the stone?

Thanks
Bill

so what do you use to drill holes in the stone?

Unless the rocks are very soft, you don't.

Pieces the size of tumbled rocks are drilled using a diamond drill in
a drill press with a lot of water for lubricant. That's an expensive
setup and it takes some practice to use properly.

Better to mount them using clear epoxy on bell caps or other findings
purchased from a jewelery supply store.

Best of all, get a book on wire wrapping and make your own wire
wrapped mounts. Do a Google search on "wire wrapping" and you'll find
plenty of pictures and instructions.

--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Old December 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Jim

wrote:

Hello all, My daughter just started tumbling rocks, she would like to make
some necklaces and earrings, so what do you use to drill holes in the stone?

Thanks
Bill

Diamond-point drills are available; most need a set-up where the
cutting point is kept well lubricted with water or mineral oil. In
many areas, there are local rock and/or lapidary clubs that have the
needful equipment available for use by members, and many of these
clubs offer junior memberships thatmight suit your daughter. HTH

Blessed be, for sure...
Old December 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Lamedeer

Bill Becker wrote:
Hello all, My daughter just started tumbling rocks, she would like to make
some necklaces and earrings, so what do you use to drill holes in the stone?

Thanks
Bill

I use a diamond dental bur in a dremel tool. Perform the process under
water to keep things cool. Consider the depth of the bur shank and learn
to drill from both sides. Do not use diamond drill bits (twist drills)
as they will break readily. Of course eye protection is paramount.

This is an easy process but as with anything some skill must be acquired.
Old December 11th 04, 05:11 AM
Bill Becker

Thanks, great idea, just finished checking on it and for 10.00 dollars a
year my 10 year old gets rocks and the use of all the lapidary clubs
equipment, plus some really cool people will help her get started.

Thanks all
Bill

Old December 11th 04, 08:35 PM
Jim

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:11:25 GMT, "Bill Becker"
wrote:

Thanks, great idea, just finished checking on it and for 10.00 dollars a
year my 10 year old gets rocks and the use of all the lapidary clubs
equipment, plus some really cool people will help her get started.

Thanks all
Bill

That's a good deal. Even better would be for you (or the significant
other) to also join the club - pleasure shared are better!

Blessed be, for sure...
Old December 18th 04, 04:21 AM
Rocky Tumbler

Here is an excellent place to learn a lot more!
http://andy321.proboards16.com/index...num=1101001744
Harry

Filling Holes in Glass TB Glass 6 November 27th 04 10:22 PM
Using brads in an MDF house - drilling VERY small pilot holes? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 0 April 19th 04 03:46 PM
What tools to use when drilling pilot holes for eyelets? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 2 March 12th 04 11:26 AM
Length of time to tumble rocks Kate Beads 17 January 10th 04 11:11 PM
Drilling??? Amy Lloyd Beads 1 July 9th 03 10:37 PM