PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Silver Smithing

Old December 21st 04, 05:11 AM
Jack Schmidling

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Silver Smithing

I don't pretend to be a silversmith but am at a loss for a better term.

Anyway, Santa brought me a Cannon Digital Rebel and I have been having fun
learning how to use it. Being a true SLR, it's pretty intuitive once you
learn the not so intuitive icons.

I put together a web page with some of the stuff I have made from silver and
am calling this the POW for this week.

You can probably tell the new photos from the old web cam ones without much
trouble. In spite of all the flexibility, I still can not get
representative pix of the flatware. It looks lumpy and bumpy but is not at
all.

Ted.... please note the fork. I change the shank length per your
suggestion.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Gems, Sausage, http://schmidling.com

Old December 21st 04, 08:55 AM
Ted Frater

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I don't pretend to be a silversmith but am at a loss for a better term.

Anyway, Santa brought me a Cannon Digital Rebel and I have been having fun
learning how to use it. Being a true SLR, it's pretty intuitive once you
learn the not so intuitive icons.

I put together a web page with some of the stuff I have made from silver and
am calling this the POW for this week.

You can probably tell the new photos from the old web cam ones without much
trouble. In spite of all the flexibility, I still can not get
representative pix of the flatware. It looks lumpy and bumpy but is not at
all.

Ted.... please note the fork. I change the shank length per your
suggestion.

js

Hi Jack,
An excellent years work.
Re the cutlery,
What size isit? tea spoon? desert? or dinner size set?
As for the fork, when using it, is the balance in the hand to your liking?
As to form and proportion, thats a personal thing so it wouldnt be fair
for me to critsize.
However just an observation, The knife and spoon proportions are
pleasing to the eye, tho the fork is somewhat heavy in the tine and
shank area.
You aught to think about getting your own stamp for marking your work,
as well as a date mark. One day your work will be collected.
It has a strong and basic rural presence. A traditional American value.
More power to your hammer in 2005.
Ted.
Old December 21st 04, 03:45 PM
Jack Schmidling

"Ted Frater"

What size isit? tea spoon? desert? or dinner size set?

No idea. It's 1.4" wide and makes a great soup spoon.

As for the fork, when using it, is the balance in the hand to your

liking?

They are so heavy, it's hard to say about balance.

However just an observation, The knife and spoon proportions are
pleasing to the eye, tho the fork is somewhat heavy in the tine and
shank area.

The tines are a bit longer than the first one which I had hoped would
balance it off better. What you can not see in the photo is the curve of
the tines which is quite steep (small radius). Rather unusual looking but
are really interesting to use, especially in the upside down European habit.

You aught to think about getting your own stamp for marking your work,
as well as a date mark...

I thought of that and date/sign my wood work but it's not so easy with
silver.

I will look into it... Just initials and date? How does one deal with the
changing date other than a new stamp every year?