Dilemma - some thoughts appreciated !!!

Old May 20th 05, 07:18 PM
Jan Lennie

Default Dilemma - some thoughts appreciated !!!

Okay a stitchy post about something that's eating at me at the moment - I
acquired the Mary Queen of Scots chartbook from Charland designs and I am
really itching to start it but the silks required (in the UK anyway) are
fairly expensive , now the question is what favourite silks of people would
possibly give me a similar finish to Au ver a soie but cost a bit less -
there is a conversion to DMC but I'd dearly love to use silks , failing that
I may just buy enough each month to do a band at a time as a treat - so
thinking caps on please all suggestions considered
Jan (oh I'll just add I'll probably buy on line as I live in a village
anyway but an online shop with cheaper shipping to the UK and that takes
paypal is favourite)

Old May 20th 05, 08:59 PM
Megwen

Is your village near me in Bath? If so, the stitch shop on the Podium
sells Rainbow Gallery threads. ALso I think that they have/can get soie
d'alger

Megwen
Bath, England

Old May 20th 05, 09:21 PM
Tegan

Jan Lennie wrote:
Okay a stitchy post about something that's eating at me at the moment

- I
acquired the Mary Queen of Scots chartbook from Charland designs and

I am
really itching to start it but the silks required (in the UK anyway)

are
fairly expensive , now the question is what favourite silks of people

would
possibly give me a similar finish to Au ver a soie but cost a bit

less -
there is a conversion to DMC but I'd dearly love to use silks ,

I didn't think to ask her how expensive they are to ship, but I know my
friend, who lives in Ilford, just recently ordered silks from Vikki
Clayton (http://hand-dyedfibers.com/catalog/default.php) and is very
happy with them. I'm having an ongoing love affair with her silks as
well. And she may very well already offer a conversion for the design
you want them for. I'm saving up pennies, nickels and dimes to be able
to get the conversion silks for Long Dog's "Plight of Fancy", myself.
Tegan

Old May 20th 05, 09:27 PM

The Rainbow Gallery Splendor threads are very nice. You can usually
find them in a needlepoint shop. They are not as expensive as some of
the silks.

Janet

Old May 20th 05, 09:56 PM
Jan Lennie

Thanks Megwen , yes not too far - didn't even realise there was a stitch
shop on the Podium , has it been there long ?
Trouble is I don't drive so rely on public transport when DH is away (he's
been in Cornwall all this week on exercise ) so the net is easier
and cheaper on the whole.
Jan
oups.com...

Old May 20th 05, 10:14 PM
Bob & Marg Whittleton

Jan Lennie wrote:

Okay a stitchy post about something that's eating at me at the moment - I
acquired the Mary Queen of Scots chartbook from Charland designs and I am
really itching to start it but the silks required (in the UK anyway) are
fairly expensive , now the question is what favourite silks of people would
possibly give me a similar finish to Au ver a soie but cost a bit less -
there is a conversion to DMC but I'd dearly love to use silks , failing that
I may just buy enough each month to do a band at a time as a treat - so
thinking caps on please all suggestions considered
Jan (oh I'll just add I'll probably buy on line as I live in a village
anyway but an online shop with cheaper shipping to the UK and that takes
paypal is favourite)

Jan:

You might try Charland herself . Her e-mail is on her website. Hmmmm -
ok here it is

I used the au ver a soie when I stitched it, but I think the only
colour that you might have some trouble substituting would be the
overdyed black/gray used for the one-over-one stitching. I also have
"Elizabeth" in my stash, but won't probably get around to stitching it
for another year or two. When I do, I want to frame and mat it to match
"Maria"

Marg

Old May 20th 05, 10:18 PM
Megwen Woodham

The shop used to be on Bridges Street and in the Podium, been there for
quite a while. If you let me know what you want, I could shop for you! Make
a change not to be spending my money in there!

Megwen
"Jan Lennie" wrote in message
Thanks Megwen , yes not too far - didn't even realise there was a stitch
shop on the Podium , has it been there long ?
Trouble is I don't drive so rely on public transport when DH is away (he's
been in Cornwall all this week on exercise ) so the net is easier
and cheaper on the whole.
Jan
oups.com...

OT - Dilemma Empress Beads Beads 10 April 2nd 05 04:02 AM
OT - Good Thoughts needed Sharon Harper Quilting 25 April 1st 05 02:44 AM
Hi all, need good thoughts and prayers Coleen Quilting 16 December 9th 04 02:20 AM
Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers!! Coleen Quilting 0 August 16th 04 02:35 AM
Good thoughts needed. Please. Pati Cook Quilting 34 June 30th 04 05:32 AM