OT - Foul Ball/Bad Example

Old April 20th 05, 12:28 AM
mothwoman

Default OT - Foul Ball/Bad Example

So, I'm just sitting in the bedroom, playing on the computer, while my
husband is playing games on the TV. Fortunately he had it muted, or we
may not have heard the crash. He left the room to see what he could
find, and after a few minutes I went to see if I could help him figure
it out. Turned out it was a foul ball hitting the sidelight. So there
was a big gaping hole in the window next to the front door, glass all
over the hall, even into the living room, and glass in the cat food
dishes by the front door. A softball had landed neatly in the dish on
the porch we keep for strays.

I ran up to the park that is behind our house, and asked if someone
lost the ball that broke my window. When I finally got the attention
of one of the adults, he said, "It's a foul ball, nothing we can do
about it." He turned around to ignore me, until I yelled, "Is an adult
going to take responsibility, or am I going to have to call the
police?" They said call the police.

They were a bit nicer to the policeman. Now shouldn't the adult coach
(who also turned out to be an attorney) provide a better example to the
kids he is in charge of by apologizing, and offering to take SOME kind
of responsibility? When did people decide apologies were a sign of
weakness? We had to board up the window immediately, because we don't
want our indoor cats to get out and get hurt or pick up parasites. It
would have been nice if someone had offered to lend a hand. If not the
coach, perhaps one of the parents who was at the game.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Old April 20th 05, 12:35 AM

damn. are they going to pay for the replacement glass? even if it's a
foul ball, they need to take responsibility for it, because they
damaged your home.

-Amber.

Old April 20th 05, 12:37 AM
Dr. Sooz

Now shouldn't the adult coach
(who also turned out to be an attorney) provide a better example to the

kids he is in charge of by apologizing, and offering to take SOME kind
of responsibility? When did people decide apologies were a sign of
weakness?

I'm absolutely amazed by this. "It's a foul ball, nothing we can do
about it."???? Holy cats! I think you were nice about it, too -- way
nicer than I would've been (everyone knows THAT). The question I want
to ask is when did [a lot of] people turn into such immature asswipes?!?

Old April 20th 05, 12:38 AM
Dr. Sooz

even if it's a
foul ball, they need to take responsibility for it, because they
damaged your home.

Good grief YEAH. It doesn't matter what it was -- as long as it's
their ball, one of them hit it, and it broke something. What does it
matter if it's a foul ball or a home run? WHAT TH--?!??!?!! This is
stupefying.

Old April 20th 05, 01:04 AM

It's unfortunate, but a lot of people seem to have a "not my problem"
mindset, even when they are the cause of the problem.

I must admit I did something similar, though not on purpose, and I did
get it straightened out. Last winter my car slid off the road after a
snow storm. I couldn't stop the slide, and ended up taking out a tree
in someone's yard. I was pretty shaken up because I'd never lost
control of my car before, and it was very early in the morning. I got
back into my car and drove away.

Later on I thought "****..I should have knocked on the door or left a
note or something", and decided I'd go back and let them know I'd been
the one who destroyed their tree (it was a small one, and I actually
ran over it). My boyfriend knows the family, and got to them before I
did..the promise of a new tree made up for it.

I would not have said "oh well, I had no control of the car, not my
fault, not my problem" and shrugged it off..I damaged their tree
(well..killed it) and thus it had to be made up for. End of story.

-Amber.

Old April 20th 05, 01:40 AM
Kandice Seeber

I'd be so ticked off if I were you! How rude of them not to even apologize
and take responsibility. That's the human adult thing to do. They are
doing a dis-service (sp?) to the children present by handling it the way
they did. Shame!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old April 20th 05, 01:41 AM
Kandice Seeber

Exactly! It's a GAME not a necessity.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old April 20th 05, 02:02 AM
mothwoman

Amber, you could teach those people a lot! Number one, they didn't
have to come looking for you. Despite the delay from being shaken up,
you went to them. You offered to make up for it. Also, a tree isn't
something that needs to be taken care of immediately, like a window.

These people didn't even come down to see the damage they did. They
didn't care that my house is not secure. I'd hate to think what would
have happened if we hadn't been home. I would have been sick if the
cats had gotten out, or if anything unwelcome had gotten in. I had to
guard the window while my husband cut the boards to cover it up.

They guy is going to be shocked when he gets the bill. (Which he will
get, thanks to Officer Sweeny.) The window is at least six feet high,
and about 13 1/2 inches wide. I was surprised how thick the glass was,
too. I'm sure they have some kind of insurance to pay for it, but even
if I were asking him to pay for it out of his own pocket, he didn't
have to be so rude!

Old April 20th 05, 01:21 PM
gwacie

WOW! WOWOWOWOWOW! I am jaw droppingly shocked. I can't even fathom people
like that. Are they neighbors?

Good luck with your lawsuit (yea, I can see the jerkface not paying up,
can't you??). I hope you win. Smart moving getting the police to make a
report.

wow.

Old April 20th 05, 04:36 PM
Dr. Sooz

The window is at least six feet high,
and about 13 1/2 inches wide. I was surprised how thick the glass was,

too. I'm sure they have some kind of insurance to pay for it, but even

if I were asking him to pay for it out of his own pocket, he didn't
have to be so rude!

Or so freaking stupid.