which of these books should I get?

Old May 16th 04, 07:59 PM
FtForger

Default which of these books should I get?

OK, most of you know that I enjoy making nice lingerie for
DW. (I hope I'm using that abbreviation correctly). I want
to get better at it. I've got a few dollars in credit at
Amazon.com. I've got some other stuff ordered that should be
arriving around the 25th-28th of this month. So, I thought I'd
add a few books to the order to save on total shipping.
Here is what I can get:

Kwik Sew's Beautiful Lingerie(Maartensen): new: $18.95 used: $13.86
Sewing lingerie that fits (Morris) new: $15.37 used: $13.99
Lingerie Secrets (Bones) new: $15.37 used: $4.99
Sewing Lingerie: (Singer) new: $11.87 used: $5.45

I've got $23.61 to spend. Which of these books will give me the most
bang for my bucks? (I know I probably won't find a true consensus on
this, but maybe one of them will really stand out). Or, should I
save my credits to get some other book(s) that might be better? Note:
I do currently have a borrowed copy of the 1976 Edition of the Readers
Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, so I don't need that one...

Old May 16th 04, 08:11 PM
Lisa W.

The Kwik Sew patterns will give you a lot for your money in that patterns
are included with the book. They are printed on 2 sides so you will have to
trace them. The instructions are very good and you will have a lot of
options with all of the pattern pieces. Be careful of the used Kwik Sew
book - make sure the patterns are included and are intact.

Lisa W. in NJ

Old May 17th 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:59:55 GMT, FtForger wrote:

Kwik Sew's Beautiful Lingerie(Maartensen): new: $18.95 used: $13.86

First choice... includes patterns

Sewing lingerie that fits (Morris) new: $15.37 used: $13.99
Lingerie Secrets (Bones) new: $15.37 used: $4.99

Both good, no patterns, for the used price I'd go with Bones.

Sewing Lingerie: (Singer) new: $11.87 used: $5.45

Haven't used it.

Rather than Bones or Morris, I'd suggest you might want a good fitting book--
check your library. Singer's Perfect Fit should be available used at
a fairly reasonable price.

Kay

Old May 17th 04, 12:48 PM
mamahays

"FtForger" wrote in message

[...]

Definitely the Kwik Sew. Especially if it still has the patterns. Go with
the new one if you have to. I have several of the Singer library of
books. I like them a lot. I haven't seen this one, but from what I've seen
of the others in the series I think you would like it.

HTH

Sharon
--
---
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and just annoys the

Old May 18th 04, 12:02 AM
Beth Pierce

I have the Sewing Lingerie that Fits (Morris) book, and I LOVE it!
There are so many handy tips in there, and even a few patterns. From
this book, I have made over 10 pairs of briefs, on the level of
Victoria's Secret's $10.00 ones. I gush when I tell you they cost me
50 cents each.

Ms. Morris is very well read; she explains things thoroughly and adds
a few design suggestions. I'm very thrilled with the book and I
encourage everyone to get a copy.

Old May 18th 04, 12:14 AM

which of these books should I get?

(FtForger)
OK, most of you know that I enjoy making nice lingerie for DW. (I hope
I'm using that abbreviation correctly). I want to get better at it. I've
got a few dollars in credit at Amazon.com. I've got some other stuff
ordered that should be arriving around the 25th-28th of this month. So,
I thought I'd add a few books to the order to save on total shipping.
---
I posted my druther at alt.sewing, just wanted to think out loud
about an idea I had...
Burlington coat factory just sent out a sale flyer, which has pics of
some most beautiful bras for $7.99. Nicely shaped, with contrast
embroidered lace. They would make a lovely baby doll ntgown top. I'd
remove the hook & eyes and add a bit more elastic at the center back,
then add a full, floaty chiffon (or like fabric) skirt.
(Haven't looked Burlington up online yet...off to do that now. I'd
have been to the store, but getting my gardens in is beating me to
death. ) NAYY.
Cea