Different people stitching kits. was Computer programs and floss

Old May 23rd 04, 03:51 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Pat P wrote:

With me, I don`t think it`s so much the quantities in kits that I worry
about. It`s sorting all those pesky colours that I can`t be doing with.
You only rarely seem to get presorted threads on numbered cards. While
they`re getting all the colours together, you`d think that it wouldn`t be
all THAT demanding to put them on cards, as some do. Dimensions not being
one of them!

Most of the kits I buy have fibers that are relatively
easy to sort, or else have them sorted or bundled in some way
to make it easier, so I don't mind particularly. Of course,
most of the kits I get don't have just cotton floss in
them either, and it's pretty easy to pick things out when
there are not only different colors, but also different
fibers.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old May 23rd 04, 04:58 PM
Judith Truly

I guess it turns me on, too and I'm not even an engineer (though I've lots
in my family- from mining to aeronautical). I thought it was a very
interesting experiment and could have a useful aspect, too. companies should
be able to get agood average and adjust their floss accordingly.
Judith
"Pat P" wrote in message
No, I didn`t know you were an engineer. Nearly all the ones I worked with

at
BT were obsessed, too, so I should have guessed! Does that just mean

you`re
obsessed by statistics, whether or not they serve any useful purpose? Not
being rude, honestly - as I`ve long thought that you can`t get much more
obsessive than cross-stitching a picture which was most likely much better
in it`s original painted form in the first place!

However, obsessing about something with so many variables as how much

thread
do different people use to stitch a design - and why - seems totally OTT

me! Still, as they say - whatever turns you on!!! ;-))

Pat P

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 5/22/04 7:29 AM, in article zNGrc.24$TZ1.5@newsfe6-win, "Pat P"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote

Jim wrote:-

(snipped)
I am sure if I could have got a bigger sample of people, I would

have
found an even bigger difference between the extremes of users. It

is
no
wonder that some people find kits to have an adequate amount of

floss
in
them, and some people run out.
--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life,

any
time that is spent in stitching.
Adapted from a sign on The Cobb, Lyme Regis, England.

Jim,

Sounds like a fun experiment to repeat!

Cheryl

Fun for Jim, maybe, with his love of statistics! I reckon most of us

would
just prefer to stitch - never mind how much more or less thread our

various
methods use! We`re all different, thank goodness!

Pat P

Ah Pat, you are forgetting that I'm an engineer too!
Cheryl

Old May 23rd 04, 05:01 PM
Judith Truly

Jim,
Pick a small kit and count the symbols.
"F.James Cripwell" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak ) writes:

Jim,

Sounds like a fun experiment to repeat!

Cheryl

I would just ***LOVE*** to repeat this experiment, with a much larger
sample. However, there is a ***MAJOR*** problem. In order to make the
statistics worthwhile it is ***ESSENTIAL*** that the pattern has a
symbol count. Otherwise it is difficult to compare the figures. In
theory it can be done, but I dont feel it would be worthwhile all the
effort without a stitch count. Certainly, I would not be prepared to put
in the necessary time.
So, what I am looking for, and have been for about 5 years or more,
is a popular counted cross sttich pattern, which lots of people just want
to stitch, and which has a symbol count. So far, I have completely struck
out in my search. Oh well!!!

Old May 23rd 04, 08:20 PM
F.James Cripwell

"Judith Truly" ) writes:
Jim,
Pick a small kit and count the symbols.

It sounds easy, but there are all sorts of logistic problems.
Finding a kit that is for sale all over the place, coordinating, etc. A
couple of years ago, I tried this with the MLI Christmas Angel. I solemnly
counted the symbols, and asked anyone who stitched her to tell me how much
floss they used. I never got any response. Mind you, as you might guess
from Pat P.'s response, I was getting quite a lot of negative comments
from rctners at the time.
I would be quite prepared to try again next Christmas. First, it
would be nice to know how many people would be interested in joining in.
Then, it would be nice if someone else would also count the symbols as
well as me, to get a check. I have done this for a couple of patterns, and
it is not the easiest thing to do.
Another idea would be to pick another freebie from somewhere, and do the
same thing. But my instinct is to wait until later on this fall, and when
the MLI Angel gets distributed, let us see what response we can get.
The stitchers dont have to be rctners. Anyone who thinks this is a good
idea could try and recruit other people they know to join it. What do people
think of this idea?
Old May 23rd 04, 08:40 PM
Lucille

It would certainly be an interesting project, but for me only if it were a
little one. I would be reluctant to play with something big that I might,
or might not really like.

Lucille

Old May 23rd 04, 08:52 PM
Texasxsgal1

One volunteer to help count the symbols::::::::::: waving hand::::::::::: and
to sitch, but I may forget to keep track of floss. I like to play with
numbers, but am not an ARW anal retentive wonk) LOL
kathy
san antonio
Old May 23rd 04, 11:03 PM
Addie

I would be most certainly willing to try. The engineer in me thinks it
would be a neat experiment.

Addie

--

remove "nospam" to reply

WIP: Winter into Spring Mystery Sampler, TW's Storyteller, SC Our Family
Tree

Old May 24th 04, 05:19 PM
Diane Hare

F.James Cripwell wrote:
Another idea would be to pick another freebie from somewhere, and do the
same thing.

.. . . preferably something smaller than an MLI freebie angel, but
whatever. Mayber there's a complex bookmark (but less complex than TW's
"Stretch") that'd be good for this.

I just did the head & hair *only* of MLI's L&L Earth Angel, to see if
I'd be comfortable working the whole project. I'll probably do all but
the wings and pair it with Dragon Dream's "Celestial Dragon".

Diane Hare

Stitching & Cooking Rachel Janzen Needlework 0 December 19th 03 04:41 AM
Ot Synagogue in Turkey blown up Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 169 December 6th 03 06:31 PM
OT Lest anyone see me as harsh Dr. Sooz Beads 108 October 4th 03 01:36 AM
help please. Deirdre S. Beads 66 August 15th 03 07:51 PM
"Redwork" and Vintage Stitching.... Lula Needlework 10 July 30th 03 02:36 PM