Etching question

Old June 23rd 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Default Etching question

I have a large winged heart, almost 3x3 inches, and I want to etch only the
wings on it, leaving the heart center clear.

What can I use to cover the heart so it won't etch, but the wings will
etch?? Perhaps fingernail polish? Wax? Thanks!

--
hugs,
Linda

Old June 23rd 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Fingernail polish or liquid paper both work.

Or, you can just get the etching paste instead of the liquid and paint it on
to the areas you want etched.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com
. ..

Old June 23rd 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dawn >^..^

I use Elmer's Glue. You know, the white runny stuff in the squeeze bottle.
I squirt a little out on a paper plate and use a little detail brush to
paint on a thick coat.
Let it dry for 24 hours then dip in your etching solution as usual. The
etching liquid won't dissolve it, but once you're done and run the bead
under water, the glue turns white and just rinses away. If it gets into any
crevices just use a little toothbrush to scrub it out.

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"

. ..

Old June 23rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

I knew I was forgetting one!!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com
"Dawn ^..^" wrote in message
I use Elmer's Glue. You know, the white runny stuff in the squeeze bottle.
I squirt a little out on a paper plate and use a little detail brush to
paint on a thick coat.
Let it dry for 24 hours then dip in your etching solution as usual. The
etching liquid won't dissolve it, but once you're done and run the bead
under water, the glue turns white and just rinses away. If it gets into
any
crevices just use a little toothbrush to scrub it out.

--
Dawn
"Art Insomnia"
Web Site http://www.art-insomnia.com
Auctions http://tinyurl.com/qyva7

. ..

Old June 24th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Thanks, Jerri and Dawn! I think I'll go with using fingernail polish
because that's what I have on hand. Son stole my Elmer's glue and the Lord
only knows where my micro paint brushes are. lol

I want to etch the wings because I found some Czech opaque/matte glassshell
beads with striations on them that match the lines of the wings on the heart
bead. When I finish it, I'll try to remember to upload a photo so you guys
can see what I did.

Thanks again. You're both sweethearts!

--
hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx

"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
:I knew I was forgetting one!!
:
: --
: Jerri
: www.beadbimbo.com
: "Dawn ^..^" wrote in message
: ...
: I use Elmer's Glue. You know, the white runny stuff in the squeeze
bottle.
: I squirt a little out on a paper plate and use a little detail brush to
: paint on a thick coat.
: Let it dry for 24 hours then dip in your etching solution as usual. The
: etching liquid won't dissolve it, but once you're done and run the bead
: under water, the glue turns white and just rinses away. If it gets into
: any
: crevices just use a little toothbrush to scrub it out.
:
: --
: Dawn
: "Art Insomnia"
: Web Site http://www.art-insomnia.com
: Auctions http://tinyurl.com/qyva7
:
:
:
: . ..

Old June 26th 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Wow that sounds cool

Becki

Old June 28th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Default Bummed... was Etching question

Well, the necklace is not meant to be... as I finished wire-wrapping the
small shells and started attaching them to the winged heartwork lampwork
bead, I dropped it and one of the wings broke off. sobbing It only
fell on carpet! And two layers of carpet at that... the installed carpet
and another rug I have on top of the carpet.
(((((((((((((((((((((((

So now I need to find out how to grind down the broken wing... part of it
broke off very cleanly from the heart bead, leaving only a small portion of
the wing at the top of the bead that's really sharp.

Perhaps my Dremel tool would be able to grind down the broken part of the
wing? Then I can etch the whole heart... err... the lopsided, one-winged
heart. lol

Ah, well.... another bead for the trash bin. But it's killing me cuz the
wings on the heart were so pretty!!

hugs,
Linda
Tucker-cat photos: http://www.picturetrail.com/bluemaxx

"Beckibead" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Wow that sounds cool
:
:
: Becki
:
:

Old June 29th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really cool!

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti
"bluemaxx" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"Beckibead" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Wow that sounds cool
:
:
: Becki
:
:

Old July 4th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Thanks, sweetie. I am totally bummed out about it breaking... and it only
fell about 12 inches to the floor!

But I might just go ahead and glue it together and maybe string some SS wire
with more beads around the crack that will show after I glue it. I really
don't want to grind down the glass with a Dremel... I'll prolly hurt myself
the way my luck goes. lol "You'll put your eye out with that thing."

--

"Valerie" wrote in message
: Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really cool!
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: . ..
: Well, the necklace is not meant to be... as I finished wire-wrapping
the
: small shells and started attaching them to the winged heartwork lampwork
: bead, I dropped it and one of the wings broke off. sobbing It only
: fell on carpet! And two layers of carpet at that... the installed
carpet
: and another rug I have on top of the carpet.
: (((((((((((((((((((((((
:
[...]
: "Beckibead" wrote in message
: ups.com...
: : Wow that sounds cool
: :
: :
: : Becki
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

Old July 6th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

If you're worried, send it to me. I've been drilling through glass for years
(sea glass!) and it won't phase me. ;-) Email me if you'd like me to and
I'll give you my addy. I'll send it back when it's done.

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Valerie" wrote in message
: Oh that SUCKS!! Sorry to hear that Linda. :-( They sound really cool!
:
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: http://www.valeriebeads.com
: http://valeriebeads.etsy.com
:
: I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
: -Michelangelo Buonarroti
: "bluemaxx" wrote in message
: . ..
[...]
: "Beckibead" wrote in message
: ups.com...
: : Wow that sounds cool
: :
: :
: : Becki
: :
: :
:
:
:
:

etching on metal [email protected] Carving 0 April 29th 07 07:04 PM
Acid Etching Charlie Jewelry 4 December 18th 04 04:11 PM
Etching solution Beelzebub Jewelry 4 January 30th 04 04:55 AM
Etching solution question bluemaxx Beads 4 October 26th 03 05:23 PM
etching nightstand Rubberstamps 4 August 1st 03 05:33 PM