Slab Roller Instructions

Old August 11th 05, 05:51 PM
Suzan

Default Slab Roller Instructions

Hi!

Does anyone know of any instructions for building a slab roller?

Thanks,
Suzan

Old August 11th 05, 10:27 PM
Bubbles

"Suzan" wrote in message
Hi!

Does anyone know of any instructions for building a slab roller?

I don't - but 2 things you do need: plates that you can remove to change the
thickness of the slab - and at least one very good, very even roller.

You might want to start out with a wringer from an ancient washing machine -
you know - the two cylindars that you roll the clothes through. Then you
might find out a way to change the distance between the two - or you might
use one mounted on a fitting table with a "ditch" in it to put your slabs
in. The top slab is always (imhe) covered in canvas.

Just some ideas. I don't know if you have a chance to find any of these
bits, but it is worth a try. Antiques shops might have something.

Also - you might luck out like I did and find one used for a third of the
new price! Have a look around at potters and pottery suppliers in your area.

Best of luck! My slab roller, although small, is great to have! No more
rolling pins! YAY!

Marianne

Old August 12th 05, 12:01 AM
Steve Mills

Keep your eyes open for an old fashioned hand operated Clothes
Mangle/Wringer. Several Potters locally use them.
Very effective.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Suzan
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old August 12th 05, 06:32 PM
plodder

Hi Suzan, do you throw at all?
If so have you ever considered throwing slabs?
Sounds mad I know but if you don't want huge slabs it is possible and
you can get some interesting slabs.
If you can centre and throw five kg of clay into a tall cylinder with
no base (best done on a batt), when it becomes soft leather hard you
can slice it vertically and open it out into a flat slab; you can also
add some interesting tooling or finger markings and other decorations
such as slip, before removing it from the wheel.

Old August 13th 05, 03:38 PM
KM

Des, who used to contribute a lot to this group, sent me some plans a few
years ago. If I can find the plans, I will forward them to the group. Des,
are you still out there?

Old August 19th 05, 04:48 PM
Pete Snell

Suzan wrote:

Hi!

Does anyone know of any instructions for building a slab roller?

Try he

http://www3.telus.net/public/gells/geewhiz%20publications.htm

Pete
--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Pattern instructions question Karen in MN Yarn 2 February 9th 04 03:54 AM
Bailey Mini-Might slab roller Bluehowler Pottery 0 December 10th 03 05:39 AM
Slab roller help Max Kanter Pottery 2 December 6th 03 09:28 PM
Looking for a used slab roller Wayne Bunker Pottery 0 November 20th 03 06:30 AM
Plans for Building a Slab Roller Suzan Pottery 2 October 8th 03 07:50 PM