thatch, help

Old July 7th 03, 12:56 AM
havana bill & holly

Default thatch, help

debbie, Tom Berkner has very nice, easy-to-follow thatching instructions on
the Earth & Tree website, www.dollhouse-miniatures.com.

Old July 8th 03, 11:18 PM

You know thatch in real house has to be tied tightly together with rope and
the whole thing has to be made very closely wrapped. You might want to use
hair gel to dampen it down so it doesn't look so wild. In real life a
thatched house roof costs over $10,000. Then, let it dry after patting it
down and spray it with hair spray so it stays in place. Best of luck with
your house. I can go to a generalogical web site I am on and ask if anyone
(it is Danish and thatched houses are very common there) is anyone can help.
My problem is that it is Victorian but I have modern conveniences that they
didn't really have in those days and my rooms are so small, but I got the
house when I bought the real house which promptly burned down, and it had a
new roof as well, but not thatched. But Victoria lived until 1900 and they
had electricity by then and the richer people had running water and indoor
plumbing etc. But just remember, it is your project and love it any way you
want and if you are happy with it, that is all that you need. Best of luck
and let us know how it is going. trille
"debbie sneap" wrote in message
hi
can anyone one help I having problems with the bundles of thatch brought
from my local dollshouse shop. they didn't have any instructions on how to
put it on so that it looks good. I have tried a few ways but looks awful.
has anyone got some instructions they could possible email to me? it would
be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Debbie

Old July 9th 03, 04:59 AM
John DeBoo

debbie sneap wrote:
hi
can anyone one help I having problems with the bundles of thatch brought
from my local dollshouse shop. they didn't have any instructions on how to
put it on so that it looks good. I have tried a few ways but looks awful.
has anyone got some instructions they could possible email to me? it would
be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Debbie

Hmmmmm, just a wild thought, but how about the straw from a broom
cut to length, then with maybe white hospital type tape along one
end and run thru a sewing macnine. That should hold the strands
together but flat. Continue in layers on the roof up to the ridge.
Now to cover the ridge (last layer would have the tape
showing)hmmmmm..... attach with thread to the layers already on the
roof?

Old July 17th 03, 08:28 AM
CMFongemie

Hi Debbie
Two Years ago Dollhouse-miniature had an "Toms-tips" page, I can't find the
page today. But he recommended to use Coconut fiber (Coir) to the roof.
To glue it on you have to use Clear Silicone and a Caulking gun,
Study Scissors and you can end up with use Twigs to make a decorating
on the roof if you prefer that.
The Coconut fiber comes in bundles about 8" long, cut it in half, so you
have
two hunks, each about 4" long. You can trim the fiber if you prefer even
lengde.
try to experiment a little to see what you like.

Good luck
Anette
..

Old July 17th 03, 10:14 PM
havana bill & holly

Tom Berkner has the instructions on the Earth & Tree website @
www.dollhouse-miniatures.com and there are pictures, too8~ )

.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:24 PM
CMFongemie

Hi Trille
Are you from Denmark?
I am, and my neighbor is just changing straw's on his roof of the house he
is living in.
Looks marvelous.
Just to let you know, some very few old house's on the west coast and small
Island's
in Denmark have roof made from seaweed.
Anette
. com...

Old August 3rd 03, 07:59 AM
CMFongemie

Hi Trille
Very interesting.
I have lived in Florida many years and then had a cat named Trille.
If you are interested getting in touch, contact me on
my E-mail address
Anette
wrote in message
om...
Yes, I grew up in Denmark but was actually born in the US where I am

living
now in Florida. Interesting about seaweed roof tops. trille
"CMFongemie" wrote in message
k...
Hi Trille
Are you from Denmark?
I am, and my neighbor is just changing straw's on his roof of the house

he
is living in.
Looks marvelous.
Just to let you know, some very few old house's on the west coast and

small
Island's
in Denmark have roof made from seaweed.
Anette