935 Silver wire supplier

Old February 23rd 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mizz Patty

Default 935 Silver wire supplier

Does anyone know where we might buy 935/1000 silver wire in various
shapes? In my googling I am coming up empty except for large-scale
industrial suppliers - not jewelry-making (read: a few ounce quantity)
suppliers.

Many thanks in advance of your knowledgeable answers!
--

rocket-galSWARFatSWARFtx.rr.com
clean out the swarf and symbolize the "at"

Old February 23rd 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:30:04 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Mizz Patty
wrote:

Does anyone know where we might buy 935/1000 silver wire in various
shapes? In my googling I am coming up empty except for large-scale
industrial suppliers - not jewelry-making (read: a few ounce quantity)
suppliers.

Many thanks in advance of your knowledgeable answers!

Why that non-standard alloy? Sterling silver is .925 silver. Most likely, I'll
bet that to get .935, you'll have to do a special order, and while that might
not be large scale industrial, it WILL likely be at least a bit more than a few
ounces. But I'm curious as to the need for that alloy. It's only slightly
different from sterling, but enough so that sourcing it will be tricky. Why do
you need it?

But I would think any decent precious metals supplier could, if the quantity
were right, fill such an order. Try David H. Fell company in Commerce City
California. They tend to cater to artists and their needs.

Or, if you get some fine silver and some copper electrical wire, alloy it
yourself. Wire's not that hard to make. Perhaps you could enlist the aid of
another local jeweler or metalsmith, if your own facilities are not up to that.

Peter
Old February 24th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Mizz Patty wrote:
Does anyone know where we might buy 935/1000 silver wire in various
shapes?

Almost any raw material supplier in Pforzheim, Germany.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old February 24th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

wrote:

Does anyone know where we might buy 935/1000 silver wire in various
shapes? In my googling I am coming up empty except for large-scale
industrial suppliers - not jewelry-making (read: a few ounce quantity)
suppliers.

Many thanks in advance of your knowledgeable answers!

Why that non-standard alloy? Sterling silver is .925 silver. Most likely, I'll
bet that to get .935, you'll have to do a special order, and while that might
not be large scale industrial, it WILL likely be at least a bit more than a few
ounces. But I'm curious as to the need for that alloy. It's only slightly
different from sterling, but enough so that sourcing it will be tricky. Why do
you need it?

Sourcing of 935 silver is not tricky at all, at least not if you happen
to be living and working in Germany. That was the alloy used
universally when I lived there. And that was back in 1973!

All silver jewelry was made from this alloy.

But I would think any decent precious metals supplier could, if the quantity
were right, fill such an order. Try David H. Fell company in Commerce City
California. They tend to cater to artists and their needs.

Or, if you get some fine silver and some copper electrical wire, alloy it
yourself.

Alloying your own silver is not a smart idea, because of the ability of
silver to attract large amount of oxygen at the melting point.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old February 24th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Dale Porter

"Abrasha" wrote

Alloying your own silver is not a smart idea, because of the ability of
silver to attract large amount of oxygen at the melting point.

Yoda"Always with you what cannot be done"/Yoda

Alloying your own silver is hardly difficult at all.

Cheers,
Dale

Old February 24th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:30:06 GMT, Mizz Patty
wrote:

Does anyone know where we might buy 935/1000 silver wire in various
shapes? In my googling I am coming up empty except for large-scale
industrial suppliers - not jewelry-making (read: a few ounce quantity)
suppliers.

Many thanks in advance of your knowledgeable answers!

On the off chance you mistyped and mean 925, you can get shapes he

http://www.monsterslayer.com
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Old February 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mizz Patty

The non-standard 935/1000 alloy is recommended in "Great Wire Jewelry"
by Irene From Peterson. She wrote that this alloy is "the easiest to
work", resulting in a "handsome piece even on your first project". She
also writes that 925/1000 "is a little stiff to work with".

We (my partner Christie and I) have tried viking wire knitting with
straight copper wire and got enticingly pretty results. But we want to
use silver, and that means we're looking at rather significant material
investments (2 or 3 ounces of wire per piece). That, and that the
"drawing" of copper got a bit demanding, physically, makes me think
"more silver, less copper" for the wire to use. But, I know we don't
want to go to the fragile end of the spectrum - fine silver - in order
for our pieces to retain a more optimum strength and abrasion resistance.

I'm inclined to trust Ms. Peterson's recommendation, but 935/1000
certainly seems to be a European thing and not easily found in the US.
It's looking like 925 is what we'll use since it's readily available.
I'd love to create an alloy, just for grins, but we don't (yet) have a
furnace and, besides, is the difference in ductility that significant?

I'll certainly inquire to David H. Fell Co. about what sort of quantity
would be "right". If we start making wire knits regularly, we might need
those sorts of quantities.

Thanks!

Patty Rasmussen

Old February 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mizz Patty

The European connection with 935 silver became really evident as I
googled the 'net. Mostly, the results were for antique silver, often
said to be European and stamped "935".

Many (oh so many) moons ago, I melted silver recovered from photographic
solutions .. in an open crucible, then poured it out on soapstone in the
form of a rough bar. It didn't seem to suffer from much oxidation. It
was then used by a teacher who made turquoise jewelry.

If we were to finally get that furnace we "need" I suppose we could,
with a large dose of ingenuity, protect the alloy with an inert gas like
argon. I've also heard that a borax flux on the surface keeps it
reduced, but I've never actually tried it. Geez, I wonder if any of the
folks on r.c.jewelry actually attempt to make their own alloys?

Thanks!

Old February 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mizz Patty

Like Allgemeine? They look like they sell to buyers of metric tons! Do
you know if they're also "small lot" retailers?

Old February 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mizz Patty

Well, I did actually mean 935 but thanks very much for the Monsterslayer
link! Crazy, but that's one I hadn't stumbled across ... and the
selection is wonderful and prices competitive! Have you found the
service really good?

Silver wire Cindy Ginter Beads 7 March 19th 06 09:19 AM
Sterling Silver Wire - Where to Buy? Abedbo Jewelry 3 September 25th 05 12:51 AM
Silver wire weights and uses Bungadora Beads 20 June 2nd 04 02:18 AM
Fine Silver Wi Anyone want to sell me some? Tinkster Beads 5 March 19th 04 02:00 AM
Silver Wire - Help for a Novice? Beth IA Beads 3 March 15th 04 07:10 PM