Bohemian Kolachy for Sandy F.

Old October 7th 05, 12:39 AM
Taria

Default Bohemian Kolachy for Sandy F.

The dough goes in the bread machine for this recipe.
Not terribly authentic but it gets made more than
the scratch one : )

1/3 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg
4 Tbsp. sweet butter
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups bread flour
1-1/2 tsp. yeast
Run through bm on dough cycle.
It sometimes comes out sticky so try with your
machine and increase the flour a tad if needed.
Grease or Pam a 10x13 inch pan. Place dough in
pan and spread evenly.
At this point you can do different things.
I like to use apricot halves or peach slices.
I place those all over the dough. Then I sprinkle
with a topping of:
1/2 cup flour
1 cup pdr sugar
3 oz. butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
mix the topping ingredients to form small crumbs.
Let the whole thing rise 20-30 minutes and bake
350' 20 minutes or until golden around edges.

You can make a poppy seed filling, cottage cheese type
filling or even prunes. Most recipes make small rolls
rather than a large sheet but my grandma did it this
way. I have a couple of pans just like the ones she used.
This recipe is sort of 2 run together but it is good : )
I have one more bag of apricots from my tree in the freezer
that I am saving back these and a special occasion!
Taria

Old October 7th 05, 01:04 AM
Tina

Special occassion coming right up - soon as I get to your house!
I LOVE peaches and apricots and this recipe sounds to die for!
Alas I have no bread machine, so I really must just come over and share
yours.

Thanks for sharing,
Tina

Old October 7th 05, 03:03 AM
Sandy Foster

In article VAi1f.5554$aO1.699@trnddc05,
Taria wrote:

Mmmm...this looks *good*! Thanks so much Taria! You mentioned small
rolls made by some; are those just rolled up like jelly rolls and then
cut into rounds? I might like to try both ways. Thanks again!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 7th 05, 03:44 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

This isn't the way the Polish way of doing this but it looks delicious!
They make a sweet cream cheese pastry - cut into circles - place a dollop of
apricot filling down the center and then pull of two sides till they meet in
the center. Bake until lightly golden. Melts in your mouth and that
sweet-tart taste of the apricots is so yummy.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 7th 05, 04:26 PM
Tina

When I make kolaches Sandy, I do just that, sort of. I roll them in
balls, punch them back down in the center and then add my ooey gooeys
in the well. When they rise and bake, the dough kind of comes up
around the ooey gooeys and holds it in!

Unless it is sausage kolaches. Then I roll the dough out in a big
square on the counter top - cut in strips and wrap those little piggies
in strips, brush the tops with butter, let them rise and then bake them
for about 10 mins. mmmmmyuuuuuuummmmmyyyyyyyy

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 7th 05, 10:22 PM
Sandy Foster

In article om,
"Tina" wrote:

When I make kolaches Sandy, I do just that, sort of. I roll them in
balls, punch them back down in the center and then add my ooey gooeys
in the well. When they rise and bake, the dough kind of comes up
around the ooey gooeys and holds it in!

And that sounds like the way my late step-father's mother used to do it.
I suppose it all depends on how much time I have as to how I'll do it.

Unless it is sausage kolaches. Then I roll the dough out in a big
square on the counter top - cut in strips and wrap those little piggies
in strips, brush the tops with butter, let them rise and then bake them
for about 10 mins. mmmmmyuuuuuuummmmmyyyyyyyy

Oh, those sound *scrumptious*! I've never had sausage kolaches, but that
will have to change....