OT--Sauerbraten ?

Old October 6th 05, 05:11 PM
Listpig

And Yiddish.....mandelbrot are in the same general class. Mandel = almond,
brot = bread.

--pig

On 10/5/05 18:18, in article
,
" wrote:

Try searching for Mandelskorpor -- there are dozens of links.

Bev in TX

D Curtis wrote:
... portion snipped

The other thing Mom made that I havent been able to recreate even
with her recipe is Mandelskarpe. I think that is how it is spelled, tho
in doing a little poking around the net I believe Mom spelled it
phonetically. It is an almond cookie. The recipe says to bake it in a
long flat loaf, then cut it and dry quickly (sort of like a rusk?) but
mine takes a long time to bake initially, much longer than its supposed
to and the bottom burns. Then the second drying process is described
very vaguely. If I could make this cookie correctly I would savor it
dunked in coffee every day, and thank the recipe fixer in my mind as I ate.
Diana

... portion snipped

-- Megan Zurawicz
South Holland, Illinois

Old October 6th 05, 05:31 PM
Marlys in Indiana

Phyllis,
What is it that the potato does to the kidney? Never heard of this and
wondering if this has something to do also with water retention in the
body??
Have been wondering about self and DH with water retention - him worse
than me.
Marlys in Indiana

"Phyllis Nilsson" wrote in message
This was one of my husband's favorite foods and they used to have
contests to see who could eat the most (holidays only since they took so
long to make). Now, alas, in an effort to preserve what kidney function
he has left, he can no longer eat potatoes in any form unless they have
been soaked overnight in 5x the amount of water as there is potato,
drained, rinsed, and then cooked in 5x as much water as there is potato.
But they were soooooo good.

D Curtis wrote:
YES!!! its Krepkokker! And Mandel skorper is the right name too! Thank
you! (now I know I am remembering things right if you know of it too. It
was a lengthy process as I remember and for the effort they got fist
sized heavy *things*, but time has changed the memory of them and now
they sound heavenly for a cold day's meal. Soooo.. what time will dinner
be?
Diana

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

I forgot to mention she also had finely chopped onion.

Phyllis Nilsson wrote:

Krepkokker? My husband's parents were both born in Sweden. The
first time he took me home to meet his family, this dish was served.
I looked at it, then I looked at my husband to be, and just "knew" I
was going to embarrass him because, frankly, they looked like Brillo
pads (well, almost). Besides the salt pork, his mother also added
something else; can't remember if it was cloves or nutmeg. They are
so good, but I'm the only non-Swede in the family who eats them.
They're great with ligonberries on top of the butter.

I've made the skorpor with cardamom for my oldest son because I
shared some with him that we had gotten from my mother-in-law. Don't
make it often because it takes too many steps, but he still asks for
it every once in awhile. This one is a sweet yeast bread that is
baked, cut into slices, then strips, and dried in the oven with the
heat turned off and the door ajar.

D Curtis wrote:

All this talk of sauerbraten started me thinking again about the
foods my mom made. Her parents and grandparents came from Sweden.
She and they made some wonderful dishes for us. Mom made sauerbraten
that was heavenly, and her parents came to WI from CN solely to make
us some potato dumplings that in hindsight were delicious but at the
time we kids turned our noses up at. Would anyone know this dumpling
and how to make it if I told you it was made with grated potatos and
a piece of *raw* salt pork was tucked inside? It was boiled and then
served with melted butter on it. They were heavier than sin.
The other thing Mom made that I havent been able to recreate even
with her recipe is Mandelskarpe. I think that is how it is spelled,
tho in doing a little poking around the net I believe Mom spelled it
phonetically. It is an almond cookie. The recipe says to bake it in
a long flat loaf, then cut it and dry quickly (sort of like a rusk?)
but mine takes a long time to bake initially, much longer than its
supposed to and the bottom burns. Then the second drying process is
described very vaguely. If I could make this cookie correctly I
would savor it dunked in coffee every day, and thank the recipe
fixer in my mind as I ate.
Diana
PS, Mom served her sauerbraten with mashed potatoes, the sauce from
the 'braten was full of carrots and onions and rich with
gingersnaps. Mmmmmm

Toni Schneidt wrote:

Has anyone ever made Sauerbraten? I am making it for this weekend,
and need to know what to serve with it. I still need to get the
juniper berries........
Toni

Old October 6th 05, 07:35 PM
Roberta Zollner

Sounds exactly like the Italian biscotti, and you can buy delicious ones
with almonds, with chocolate bits...

As for potato dumplings (and these sound more Bavarian than Swedish), you
can put just about anything in the middle. I even put cubes of Emmenthaler
cheese in mine. The reasoning, according to my dear departed MIL, is that
the very center doesn't cook evenly, so you need something in there that is
already cooked. I tend to think your granny used raw salt pork because she
didn't feel like dirtying up an extra pot to fry the cubes first. And after
all, it would only take another few minutes in the boiling water to solve
the problem!
Roberta in D

Old October 7th 05, 01:58 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

I mentioned this thread to my husband and told him I couldn't remember
the spice his mom put in the krepkakkor, he said it was allspice.

Some people with compromised renal function aren't willing to give up
their favorite foods. Some folks have just decided not to get dialysis
anymore (they just get too tired to continue), and a wonderful man only
43 decided he wasn't giving up the foods he liked. He died this last
spring. My husband calls me his "diet Nazi" because through all of
this, he lost 224 pounds (and is still a big guy). Once a week I give
him a meal with something on the forbidden list, just to keep him happy
enough to stay on it the rest of the time.

My neighbor stopped over tonight with the last of the fresh basil in his
garden and asked if we could use some tomatoes. I had to tell him
thanks, but that's another forbidden fruit.

D Curtis wrote:
For some reason kidney function seems more important than potato
dumplings. I wonder if my Mom missed them when she lost her kidney
function. I didnt even realize at that time she had to be careful about
them.
Diana

Old October 7th 05, 02:08 AM
Phyllis Nilsson

Potatoes are really high in potassium, and if a person's potassium level
gets to high, it can cause massive heart attack and death.

If you're having trouble with water retention, you could first try going
on a low sodium diet, but you have to read labels on everything; but
other than salty snacks, I think soups are probably the worst. I make
our own and use Kitchen Basics broth because it has about half the
sodium as regular broth or soups.

If you can stick to a low sodium diet or 30 days and still are retaining
water, I'd suggest a doctor's visit. It is a symptom of renal disease,
heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, etc, and a checkup would be
a good idea.

Old October 7th 05, 04:11 AM
Butterfly

Reminds me of the last trip to the Hematologist/Oncologist. there was an
older (maybe 59) man there that was blind. We all were subjected to a
younger gal saying she was ready to give up on her treatments---he spoke up
and said "See my cane? I GAVE UP on my dialysis.....until I went blind. I
come faithfully now. I just wish I would have listened to my Dr"
She cried...but went in when her name was called.

Butterfly (you better believe I will be getting MY Vampire tests--ala today,
fortunately I got my FAV guy--no, I do not have diabetes)

Old October 7th 05, 05:31 AM
Dee in Oz

Thanks for that information Phyllis. I have always wondered why my
hypertension tablets have a sticker on them about not taking potassium
supplements.

There are so many knowledgable people on this group and not just about
quilting either.

Dee in Oz

Old October 7th 05, 02:40 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

My husband loved Czarina (pronounced Cha - neen - ah) served over spaetzle
like noodles - but he called it something else - can't remember now. The
Polish must have a different name for it.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Listpig" wrote in message
Pig is a firm believer in spaetzle as a side dish to anything German.

Of course, Pig is a firm believer in spaetzle, regardless of what it's
with.
Spaetzle as a side dish to burgers would work for me. g

--pig

Old October 7th 05, 03:09 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Well - that's fine for him but I know where the girl is coming from.
Chemotherapy can kill all by itself and makes you feel worse than the
cancer. My breast cancer was "silent" and there was no pain. The fatigue
is like nothing you have ever experienced before. The chemotherapy has left
me with permanently scarred veins, painful neuropathy in my feet and hands,
and an injured heart. Chemotherapy is induced into the circulatory system
and everywhere you have blood flow it effects in various ways - none are
good - other than killing BC cells. My oncologist said that treatment is a
fine line between killing the patient and killing the cancer. He came very
close to killing me with my last of 4 doses of Adriamycin (lifetime limit).
It totally wiped out my immune system and I came down with a virus that
quickly became bilateral pneumonia. I was in ICU for a month and I believe
that only the miracle of prayer pulled me thru. My priest was called and I
was given last rites and my family was told that the doctors had done all
they could do. They didn't expect me to make it thru the next 24 hours.
Chemotherapy did that to me - not the cancer. I will NEVER do chemotherapy
EVER AGAIN!. I pray the BC never returns - but if it does then it will just
have to run it's course. I would never be presumptious enough to advise
someone else to do it my way but it was exactly this treatment side effect
that caused my decision to refuse the radiation therapy. It was like
pulling hens teeth but the doctor finally admitted that they couldn't
gurantee that the treatment wouldn't burn lung, heart, liver and esophageal
tissue. I have known several people who have underwent radiation therapy
only to have esophageal cancer due to the damage done by treatment.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old October 7th 05, 04:46 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

My mom was one of those whose cancer didn't kill her, the chemotherapy
did. That said, I've worked for cancer treatment centers for 22 years
and have seen some remarkable recoveries as well as everything in
between. I'm now 67 and have had a basal cell removed from above my
right eyebrow, no further surgery or treatment, but that side of my face
still feels "funny". My husband said they may have nicked a nerve or
something, but it isn't bad enough for me to go back.

I have no signs of any cancer anywhere now, so I'm thinking my pulmonary
fibrosis will get me before any cancer can get settled in to do its
dirty work. Statistics say three to four more years. I say statistics
aren't God.