shawls and afghans

Old October 3rd 05, 05:15 PM
Kristine

Default shawls and afghans

Hello,
Can shawls double as afghans and afghans as shawls? I have had an
inspiration and am just wondering.
Kristine in Germany

Old October 3rd 05, 06:51 PM
MRH

"Kristine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Can shawls double as afghans and afghans as shawls? I have had an
inspiration and am just wondering.
Kristine in Germany

I would think if you made the shawl wide enough, then it could also be used
as an afghan.

Peace!
Gemini

Old October 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
Kristine

The reason why I am asking is because when I was surfing around the net
last night I came upon a site about prayer shawls. The patterns that I
found are about 50X76. I thought this would be a cool idea for two
reasons. One because I am trying to get back to my faith and I thought
the other members and myself could have a bible study while we are
knitting/crocheting and also because there are a lot of patients at
Landsthul and if I can get enough interested we could donate them to
the hosptial to be passed out on the floors. The patient's or their
families could then keep it. I don't think too many men wear shawls so
I would like to make them so they could also be afghans.
Kristine

Old October 3rd 05, 07:27 PM

Hi Kristine,

I don't see why they couldn't be used either way. You have a great idea
and I hope others will think so too and help make them. I made a shawl
for a friend in a nursing home and instead of that she used it as an
afghan, said it was too pretty to wear.

Hugs,

Nora

Old October 3rd 05, 07:36 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

Hi Kristine (cool name BTW) I have a baby shawl pattern, a sort of Shetland
shawl style, which I've made so many times, in 2ply (lace weight) 3ply (baby
yarn) 4 ply (sport weight) and DK. In fact when DD1 was about 16 she wanted
a blanket and chose 6 colours: orange, bright green, scarlet, turquoise
blue, royal blue and purple, so I did the centre in one colour, each of the
side panels in different colours and the edging in the 6th colour. You
actually needed sunglasses to look at it, but she loved it, and now as an
old(ish) married lady she still uses it for a cover if it's cold. Now to
the point: this gave me an idea so when some friends were having their first
baby I made the same shawl pattern in Aran weight yarn, cotton and acrylic
mix, and it was HUGE. About 5 1/2 feet square and the new Mum said it was
so useful, for laying the baby on, for wrapping around her during those
chilly night feeds (Ben was born in December) and for covering the sofa when
the children got bigger! I think the trick is to make the object thick
enough to be warm and drapey enough to cosy.
Good luck with your idea
Love Christine

Old October 4th 05, 07:45 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I would think that if the afgahn isn`t too heavy , you might use it as
a shawl, but it will look more like a poncho
maybe you make 2 shawls and add buttons and holes to make the 2 into
one afgahn it will be better ???? maybe you make 2 different colored
shawls that can be combined into one afghan ?
mirjam
..
Old October 4th 05, 07:47 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Kristine , i know about Jewish prayer shawl =Talit , are there other
faiths that use a prayer shawl?
mirjam
a bit puzzled .

Old October 4th 05, 07:50 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

PS just remembered YEARS ago i crocheted a lady a baby blanket ,,,,
several years later i met her wearing it a big wrap around shawl, she
told me her baby has outgrown it , and now she enjoys it .
mirjam

Old October 4th 05, 04:51 PM
Kristine

Hi Mirjam,
Well the site I found is here. http://www.shawlministry.com/. I found a
book at Lion Brand yarn and ordered it with some skeins of yarn (can't
have enough yarn). This book called Knitting into the Mystery. The
ladies who started this ministry wrote this book. So I don't know if it
is the same thing as the Jewish prayer shawl.
Kristine

Old October 5th 05, 04:05 PM

Hi Kristine,

Thank you for that website. I've just and printed out the directions
for the crocheted version and will try one. It will be for the lady in
the nursing home that used the one I made last year as an afghan. I
also read the tip to use hdc which I'll do too.

Hugs,

Nora