Tomato Gravy

Old October 1st 05, 09:39 PM
teleflora

"Elizabeth Wilson" wrote in message
This is my recipe: Go to my local Krogers; walk directly to the freezer
section and select several bags of Pillsbury ready to bake frozen
buttermilk biscuits. They are very good and there is nomess to clean up
afterwards.

hahahhahahahhaha!

Sacrilege!

Cindy you must be related to my MOM

Old October 2nd 05, 12:11 PM

Soy milk probably does not curdle as easily because it contains less
protein than cows milk. That is the reason why you can not use it with
commercial pudding mixes (unless you want a soupy pudding). Of course
you can make pudding with it if you use an extra thickener, such as
eggs or tofu.

Bev in TX
p.s., I've been having difficulties accessing the internet, so I hope
this gets posted this time. This is the third time I've tried.

Kathy Applebaum wrote:
The milk will sometimes curdle a little bit. I don't know how to stop it,
so I just serve it anyway.

Milk curdles with acid and/or heat. You have quite a bit of acid with the
tomatoes, so it won't take much of a heat shock to curdle it.

.... portion snipped ...
FWIW, I've never had soy milk curdle on me. Can't say if the proteins in soy
milk are less likely to curdle, or it's just the anal-retentive cooking
techniques I learned when I was young. And now that I've said that, it
probably will curdle the next time I cook with it. :-)
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 2nd 05, 03:27 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Nothing like that good smokey taste that still lives in the bacon grease.
It's not healthy but we are talking about food good for the "soul", ain't
we?

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
And this is EXACTLY how I was taught to make biscuits Snigs.
My grandma used to make sugar cookies the same way and taught me to do
it this way also.
We never used a bowl!

And the bacon grease, LOL - for the first year I lived with current DH,
he was appalled that I saved bacon grease in the fridge. I always keep
a can for bacon grease. He never understood until the first time I
made cream gravy and the first time I made biscuits. Now he never
throws the grease away if HE makes the bacon, he KNOWS better! LOL

Bacon grease also makes the BEST roux if you're making gumbo or etoufe

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 2nd 05, 03:29 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Do you make peanut brittle at Xmas time? My dear Pollock made it every
year. I make it but it doesn't taste as good as his did.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Talk about mess to clean up - when I bake yeast products, I do a BUNCH
at one time. I usually make bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls and
kolaches all at the same time. If my counters are going to be covered
in flour - I figure I better do it all in one day and just clean up
once.

At Christmas time, it is days and days of cookie dough on the counter.
Then there will be three days of powdered sugar all over the counter.
This is the foundation for the Stained Glass Candy. The kids love this
tradition because it is the only time they get to use the hammer in the
house! But boy is it a huge mess to clean up afterwards.

But oh is it fun
Tina

Old October 2nd 05, 03:30 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Reckon so - but you die with a smile on your fat face. LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Taria" wrote in message
That stuff will kill you. I don't want you to learn the way
we did Tina. Saturated fats are the devil. They taste good
just to tempt you.
Taria

Old October 2nd 05, 03:31 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Where I came from we never wasted anything. If the milk went bad it went
into cakes, biscuits or to the pigs.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"NightMist" wrote in message
Not meaning to offend, but did you know that if you used buttermilk,
or even slightly soured milk, this recipe would come up a lot more
fluffy and tender?
I know some people have a thing about never using such things though.

NightMist

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:32:42 GMT, "KI Graham"
wrote:

Sift together
2 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt [or a little more to taste]
cut in 1/2 cup butter
add milk [about 1/2 cup] a little at a time to make a stiff dough that can
be rolled. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently, then
roll out, cut into circles or squares and place on ungreased cookie
sheets:
close together for soft edges, 2" apart for firmer sides. Bake at 425 for
abou 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Serve hot with butter or jam.

You can add a handful of shredded cheese to the flour for cheese biscuits,
or a tablespoon or so of sugar if you want a slightly sweeter taste

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"Charlie" wrote in message
Could you post your recipe for biscuits? I'm dying to try this!

Loads of thanks!

Charlie.
"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mine, are Southern biscuits. Made with baking powder, baking soda,
shortening, a little milk and flour and they are about 2 inches tall
and the diameter of a drinking glass. (or a cookie cutter if the mood
strikes me)

I have a different recipe for scones as well.

Tina

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole

Old October 2nd 05, 05:21 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

My mother always used milk that had soured in just about anything she
baked. I have cookbooks that tell one how to sour milk for a recipe,
just in case it isn't on hand.

Old October 2nd 05, 05:39 PM
Tina

No peanut brittle here Snigs. My husband would love it if I would try
- but my Christmas staples are Cookies - five different kinds, of
course including sand tarts.
Stained Glass Candy - six different colors/flavors
Fudge - and this is not that sticky/chewy marshmallow kind - this is
the real deal butter fudge using my great grandpas recipe.
And Texas Trash! My own recipe, of course using Chex cereals - but
mine has a spicy zing all it's own. My whole neighborhood and family
depend on it each year.

I tried divinity once, just because I love to eat it, but I discovered
it is just too darned humid here on the Gulf Coast and I don't have
near enough patience for divinity. Won't make that mistake again.

If anyone DOES have the nerve to make peanut brittle - please keep my
DH in mind - I'll send the postage!

Hugs,
Tina

Old October 2nd 05, 05:46 PM
Pat in Virginia

Tina: Do you want to try my Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe?
Quite a few PB purists really like it!
PAT in VA/USA

Tina wrote:
No peanut brittle here Snigs. My husband would love it if I would try