Tomato Gravy

Old September 30th 05, 09:11 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

Default Tomato Gravy

Tomato Gravy

*

2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper (scant)
* 15-ounce can tomatoes
* 1/2 cup milk or evaporated milk

Get out a nice big skillet. Heat the margarine or oil over medium heat.
Stir in the flour with a fork or a whisk until it is lump free. Let
the fat simmer for a moment or two, to toast the flour just a little
bit. Add the sugar or honey, salt and little less than 1/4-teaspoon of
pepper. Add the tomatoes. Smash the tomatoes with your fork to make
them sort of choppy or shredded. This gravy is not smooth, so you don't
have to work real hard at smashing the tomatoes. The lumpy tomatoes are
actually what give it the characteristic texture which Tomato Gravy is
famous for. When it begins to boil and thicken, add the milk gradually.
Stir it all up and let it boil again. The milk will sometimes curdle
a little bit. I don't know how to stop it, so I just serve it anyway.
It tastes so good, folks seldom notice if the milk is smooth or not.
This is good with any grain for a main dish, or just plain over noodles
or potatoes. If you can your own tomatoes, you can double or triple the
recipe for each quart of tomatoes you use. This recipe makes about
2-1/2 cup of gravy. Good with biscuits for breakfast or lunch,
especially in the wintertime.

Old September 30th 05, 09:37 PM
Tina

Phyllis, I owe you the biggest HUG in the world! Thank you!

I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow morning!

Tina

Old September 30th 05, 10:02 PM
Sally Swindells

Now I know that your biscuits are not the same as our biscuits. In UK
biscuits are the thin, crispy, usually sweet things you call cookies.
So what are your biscuits. I presume 'cat-head' biscuits are in the
shape of a cat's head? DH says its something like a scone, but my
'California Cook' book has a scone recipe in it, so he can't be right.
Whoever said we speak the same language!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:11:01 -0400, Phyllis Nilsson
wrote:

Tomato Gravy

*

Old September 30th 05, 10:06 PM
Tina

Mine, are Southern biscuits. Made with baking powder, baking soda,
shortening, a little milk and flour and they are about 2 inches tall
and the diameter of a drinking glass. (or a cookie cutter if the mood
strikes me)

I have a different recipe for scones as well.

Tina

Old September 30th 05, 11:09 PM
Charlie

Could you post your recipe for biscuits? I'm dying to try this!

Loads of thanks!

Charlie.
oups.com...

Old September 30th 05, 11:14 PM
Tina

ROFL, I'm sorry, I started to laugh and then started to choke when I
read your request. Not at you, don't get me wrong, just at myself. I
honestly don't know how I make the biscuits. I start with about 4 cups
of flour and then I splash/dash the salt, baking soda, baking powder,
milk.....

I DO actually have the original recipe my grandmother wrote down and I
will look for it and post it here for you. But I personally couldn't
tell you how I make biscuits if my life depended on it. Oh, my
daughter says, "You make biscuits really good." Ok, so that's how I
make my biscuits. LOL

Tina, off to look for biscuit recipe

Old September 30th 05, 11:19 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Biscuits are made with lard and scones are made with butter and some sugar.
Granny Pete loved scones with apricot jam. Biscuits aren't sweet.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old September 30th 05, 11:20 PM
KI Graham

He's right... essentially, they're scones without the sugar

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Now I know that your biscuits are not the same as our biscuits. In UK
biscuits are the thin, crispy, usually sweet things you call cookies.
So what are your biscuits. I presume 'cat-head' biscuits are in the
shape of a cat's head? DH says its something like a scone, but my
'California Cook' book has a scone recipe in it, so he can't be right.
Whoever said we speak the same language!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:11:01 -0400, Phyllis Nilsson
wrote:

Tomato Gravy

*

Old September 30th 05, 11:32 PM
KI Graham

Sift together
2 1/2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt [or a little more to taste]
cut in 1/2 cup butter
add milk [about 1/2 cup] a little at a time to make a stiff dough that can
be rolled. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently, then
roll out, cut into circles or squares and place on ungreased cookie sheets:
close together for soft edges, 2" apart for firmer sides. Bake at 425 for
abou 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Serve hot with butter or jam.

You can add a handful of shredded cheese to the flour for cheese biscuits,
or a tablespoon or so of sugar if you want a slightly sweeter taste

--

"Charlie" wrote in message
Could you post your recipe for biscuits? I'm dying to try this!

Loads of thanks!

Charlie.
oups.com...

Old September 30th 05, 11:36 PM
Kathy Applebaum

The milk will sometimes curdle a little bit. I don't know how to stop it,
so I just serve it anyway.

Milk curdles with acid and/or heat. You have quite a bit of acid with the
tomatoes, so it won't take much of a heat shock to curdle it.

I've never made this particular dish (but it sounds yummy!), but if I were
concerned about the curdling, first I'd measure the milk out and let it come
up to room temperature. Then, as I'm making the dish, I'd whisk it in very
slowly. If curdling were still a problem, I'd temper the milk, much like you
do with eggs (stir a small amount of your very hot liquid into the milk to
gently raise the temperature of the milk, before pouring the milk into the
dish.)

FWIW, I've never had soy milk curdle on me. Can't say if the proteins in soy
milk are less likely to curdle, or it's just the anal-retentive cooking
techniques I learned when I was young. And now that I've said that, it
probably will curdle the next time I cook with it. :-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps