I'm really bummed -- NOT OT

Old September 17th 05, 02:04 AM
Lisa C

Default I'm really bummed -- NOT OT

For years, not sure how many, I have been attending the Mancuso quilt show
in PA in September with my friend Cathy. Even though she lives nearby, we
don't meet or speak too often. We have always made time for the quilt show
together. It has been difficult sometimes. There was 2001, when the show
'shrank' due to 9/11. The folks who were there were a testament to wanting
life (and quilting!) to continue even in the face of terrorism. There was
the year of the hurricane, when the event was flooded. But the tradition
continued.

Last year, my dear MIL died the last week of August. I forgot about the
show, and Cathy didn't remind me. I'm guessing she felt I would be grieving
too much, and didn't want to intrude. She was probably right. It was
mid-October before I even remembered it was missed.

So, I was REALLY looking forward to this year's show.
Now Cathy has called and life interfered and she cannot attend.

I am so bummed.
DH said I should still go, and he even offered company bless his heart, but
it just isn't the same without my friend oohing and aahing over the exhibits
and sharing the chocolate fudge.

Sigh....

In the big scheme of things, it is not even a ripple. But I thought I would
throw my feelings into cyberspace to share. If any folks could understand my
frustrations it would be all of you.

Old September 17th 05, 02:21 AM
frood

Yes, I understand, Lisa. It was not a strong tradition (yet) with me, but I
enjoyed visiting my cousins in Philadelphia the past 2 years. I will be
unable to attend this year - I just couldn't work it into my family
schedule. I'm dissappointed I won't meet friends there, sad I won't be
catching up with my cousins - I really don't keep in touch as well as I
should - and bummed I won't be getting a fresh infusion of inspiration.

I have promised myself I'll go to the Houston quilt show next year, but I
don't know if I can also work in the Ft. Washington show. I'll have to wait
and see. But I'll be thinking about this year's attendees! Fondle some
fabric for me, and take pics of the quilts, Kris and the others lucky enough
to go!

--

Cap'n Grainne O'Malley o' the Drunken Tongue
De-STUFF email address to reply

Old September 17th 05, 02:41 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Lisa C" wrote:

[...]

And you're right -- we do understand. What a shame this had to happen;
it seems life always interferes at the most inconvenient times, doesn't
it? But maybe you'll both be able to go next year. Meanwhile, why don't
you come to Houston?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 17th 05, 03:00 AM
AliceW

Lisa, I am hoping to go on Sunday and I may end up there by myself. I would
love to ooh and aah with you. I'm ok going by myself, but there's nothing
better than going with a friend.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

:

Old September 17th 05, 03:01 AM
Jeri

Lisa C wrote:
snip
So, I was REALLY looking forward to this year's show.
Now Cathy has called and life interfered and she cannot attend.

I am so bummed.
DH said I should still go, and he even offered company bless his
heart, but it just isn't the same without my friend oohing and aahing
over the exhibits and sharing the chocolate fudge.

Sigh....

In the big scheme of things, it is not even a ripple. But I thought I
would throw my feelings into cyberspace to share. If any folks could
understand my frustrations it would be all of you.

Maybe you could go, take lots of pictures, buy some chocolate fudge and plan
a nice visit with Cathy when life gets back to normal for her. Oohing and
ahhing over pics won't be quite the same but it may be a good way to stay
connected.

Old September 17th 05, 03:20 AM
Patti S

Ohhhhh Lisa..... I feel your pain. There are just certain "things" that
you associate with certain people, and when "things" go sideways and the
tradition is interrupted, it's like an empty space. But...... I agree
with your DH - you should go. Any other gal pals available that are into
quilty "things"?

Hugz
Patti

Old September 17th 05, 04:58 AM
Polly Esther

How very sweet, Alice. I hope you two get to attend together. Katrina took
my quilt show buddy and I wouldn't even dream of going to a show without a
friend to share with. We didn't just ooh and aah. We did some muttering
about the judge's character and qualifications and once started a protest
demonstration about the Viewer's Choice being totally dismissed by the
judges. And would we like to judge a show? Heck, no. There's a yellow
stripe running down my back. I just like to complain...and share.

. ..

Old September 17th 05, 01:05 PM
Musicmaker

Lisa - you might consider going and finding another quilting friend.
There's always someone who goes to these shows alone because that's
their only choice - and though some of them prefer being alone - many
more would appreciate a new quilting friend. I'm sorry Cathy can't
attend. I hope you let us know what you decide and if you go, what
happened?

Old September 17th 05, 03:05 PM
Lisa C

OH Alice!
That sounds splendid.
I'm feeling so much better now. Will email you with the details, in case you
want to meet up.

. ..

Bummed! KJ Quilting 8 July 3rd 05 12:41 PM
Mostly OT... I am bummed out and tired.... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 15 March 12th 05 01:16 PM
Totally bummed out/beads fell apart! Su/Cutworks Beads 17 November 10th 04 01:20 PM
Bummed about Bead Pens Bacchae Beads 6 December 7th 03 08:40 AM
A little bummed (my first "show"-major whining;o) Kyla Beads 5 November 24th 03 12:54 AM