Looking for Information

Old September 10th 03, 06:23 AM
Shadus

Default Looking for Information

Hello!
I'm looking to pick up a hobby that I can do with my hands and that is
artistic, after a few days of reading, thought, and pondering my interest
level, I narrowed it down to pottery and blacksmithing. Strangely,
regardless of how artistic the end product is, I really don't think my
neighbors (while a fair distance away) would appreciate either the smell
of burning coal in a forge or the sound of a hammer ringing off an iron
and anvil, so I figure I had better head down the pottery route to
prevent run ins with the police or pitchfork wielding neighbors .

While I have gotten alot of very good information from other newbie posts
here the one reoccurring thing I notice is that everyone suggests
classes. I too believe classes are a good way to start almost any new
endeavor, but while searching the web I have been unable to come up with
any classes in the NE Ohio area (Canton/Akron specifically), perhaps I am
overlooking them or perhaps I'm just having a slow moment or searching
for the wrong things.

I personally have never touched a potter's wheel in my life nor do I have
any idea how to glaze my finished product, so I definitely need to start
at pottery 101. I do work from 7:30am-4:30pm m-f, but am available on
weekends pretty much anytime. I live in the Canton area (44730) and
would be willing to travel up to 100 miles. If anyone could give me a
resource that has a listing of classes in my area or knows of any classes
specifically in the near future, I would greatly appreciate the help.

If I am unable to find any classes in my region, how would you suggest I
proceed?

If I missed any obvious posts in the newsgroup related to these issues,
sorry just point me in the right direction, 1500 posts is alot to take in
at once

If you would rather send me a reply via email don't send it to my listed
address-- that is a spamhole, instead change the shads to shadus and
it'll go through fine.

--
Shadus
Old September 10th 03, 02:27 PM
GaSeku

Often times your local community college will offer a Pottery 101 course. Look
in the yellow pages under Ceramics and call around. They will most likely know
of someone who is offer a basic class.
Old September 10th 03, 02:32 PM
wayneinkeywest

snip
[...]

Take yourself down to your local community college, or call their office.
There should be night classes run for pottery/ceramics. You can get
their website and search that way. Or perhaps your local high school or
votech school has them. Or maybe a local studio is offering classes.

That's how a lot of us balance work and play :)

Good Luck!
Wyne in Key West

Old September 10th 03, 03:36 PM
Charles Jones

In article ,
says...
I live in the Canton area (44730) and would be willing to travel up
to 100 miles.

I don't live in Ohio (passed through once about 19 years ago!), but I
did a few web searches. He

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Infor...asses.htm#OHIO

I find two possibilities for classes, one about 25 miles away in
Cuyahoga Falls.

Let's see, what else ... a ha! A biography of a pottery artist mentions
that they got started by taking a class in the Canton Museum; look up
museum ... yes! Classes are available at the Canton Museum of Art:

http://www.cantonart.org/Classes/Adult-classes.html

Hope this helps!

CharlesJ

--
http://www.frii.com/~charlesj/woodworking
Not an HP spokesman | Business email:

Loveland, Colorado, USA | ICQ: 29610755 AIM: LovelandCharles
Old September 13th 03, 02:31 PM
Slgraber

you might have some adult education classes via your city parks & recreation
department, or via the local highschools. several cities near me do this, with
several also being pretty bad at advertizing or otherwise getting the word
out...

see ya

steve

Subject: Looking for Information