Moon over the mountain question

Old August 1st 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA

Default Moon over the mountain question

Thanks for showing me Joan. How did you go about making the circles?
Needle turn? Leslie's method of drawing up around a template? Jeanne's
method of using light interfacing? Something else?

I like the echo quilting in the moons ... gives me ideas :-)

Rose in CA @}---------
Rosanne DOT Morgan AT sbcglobal DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission
errors. No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organiz...57600567993584

Some of the blocks. I made the quilt to fit a California King bed, so
there were LOTSA blocks.

I machine appliqued the pieces and did cut out from the back. Machine
quilted myself, basically SITD and some echo quilting.

I'm thinking that I had a pattern for the pieces from a magazine. It
was 2004 maybe?

joan

Old August 1st 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

And a dressmaker's trick: if you're concerned about a smooth edge to your
circles. Use a shorter stitch length and layer the trimming - one about
1/8" and one just a thread or two more. Clip notches lots - at least every
¼". Put a scrap of batting in your lap for the notches to cling to and toss
it when you're through making such a mess. Since batiks are usually tightly
woven, the circles can stand the severe clipping and will round out
beautifully. Polly

"Ginger in CA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ah, yes, Joan's Moon quilt. My inspiration to do one of my own using
this pattern!
I use used dryer sheets to sew to right side of the moon and mountain,
then turn them and get a crisp edge to applique down. It is a portable
project with no timeline. Using mostly batiks.

I will be using one of my blocks for an Ami Sims Alzheimer's Quilt
project donation. Leslie's photo just gave me some ideas!

Ginger in CA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organiz...t7215760056799...

Some of the blocks. I made the quilt to fit a California King bed, so
there were LOTSA blocks.

I machine appliqued the pieces and did cut out from the back. Machine
quilted myself, basically SITD and some echo quilting.

I'm thinking that I had a pattern for the pieces from a magazine. It
was 2004 maybe?

joan- Hide quoted text -

Old August 1st 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

I'll be honest, the details of that project have backed almost
complete out of my conscious thought. I seem to remember freezer
paper templates, turning the edges under and actually using a zigzag
stitch along the edges. I then slit the back to remove extra fabric
and to remove the freezer paper.

joan

Old August 1st 07, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Rose,
A few ideas to add to the excellent advice and photos
already posted. A quick and easy way to cut circles is
with the Olfa Circle Cutter, product # CMP-3. I've used
this for cutting circles for machine appliqué. I am
delighted with this product, but NAYY.
http://olfa.com/CircleCuttersDetail.aspx?C=15&Id=149

Here is one way to handle layers of appliqué design.
The pieces can be applied to each other, and some
fabric removed, befoer the group is applied to the
background. This can be done on SM or by hand. Example:
apply the mountain to the moon, then cut out the little
wedge of hidden moon; next, apply the moon/mountain
unit to the background. This leaves just two, not three
layers here. You may find this is enough, and avoid
trimming away large pieces. (I think you, or some one
else mentioned not wanting to trim out.)

HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Rose in CA wrote:

I want to make this pattern for my niece's hs graduation quilt and would
like to talk with someone who has done it.

Q1 -- OK to piece the background and mountain or does it work better
with applique mountain?

Q2 -- best way to get real, true, actual circles for moons??

Graduation is still a loooonnnnggg time away but I've got some yummy
batiks that are hollering to be made into this pattern ...

Help, anyone?

Old August 1st 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

the Olfa circle cutter is great, but WATCH YOUR FINGERS!

joan

On Aug 1, 7:45?am, Pat in Virginia wrote:
Rose,
A few ideas to add to the excellent advice and photos
already posted. A quick and easy way to cut circles is
with the Olfa Circle Cutter, product # CMP-3. I've used
this for cutting circles for machine appliqu . I am
delighted with this product, but NAYY.http://olfa.com/CircleCuttersDetail.aspx?C=15&Id=149

Here is one way to handle layers of appliqu design.

Rose in CA wrote:
I want to make this pattern for my niece's hs graduation quilt and would
like to talk with someone who has done it.

Q1 -- OK to piece the background and mountain or does it work better
with applique mountain?

Q2 -- best way to get real, true, actual circles for moons??

Graduation is still a loooonnnnggg time away but I've got some yummy
batiks that are hollering to be made into this pattern ...

Help, anyone?- Hide quoted text -

Old August 1st 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

A friend of DH's asked me if I had any idea how dangerous my cutters could
be. "Not dangerous," I said. "Mine only have the blade out if I am
actually cutting".
He showed me that the cutters could be locked open. Wonder how he knew
that? Do you suspect that he had borrowed one for cutting window screens?
Polly

oups.com...

Old August 1st 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA

'S OK Joan. I just did a search in Flickr for your screen name and found
the right photo. I think this is the quilt I remembered that got me
thinking about doing this pattern in the first place. Thank you again :-)

Rose in CA @}---------
Rosanne DOT Morgan AT sbcglobal DOT net
Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, fact, or tact are transmission
errors. No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced......

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
Damnation. Still trying to figure out Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28328779@N00/968284845/

Old August 1st 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA

Oh Polly! Thank you for the batting idea. Since my sewing studio is also
my home office, I need all the help I can get keeping it tidy :-)

Yes, notches all around, clip the bejeezus out of it. Should work.

Old August 1st 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rose in CA

Wonderful idea Pat -- applique in steps, yes, I can do that. I did
wonder if trimming out would be necessary/good/recommended/futile but do
want to keep the number of layers to a minimum if possible.

Thank you :-)

Fire Mountain? Karen Sherwood Beads 4 August 9th 06 07:43 AM
Fire Mountain? Sheri Beads 0 July 30th 06 05:22 AM
Moon Over The Mountain block Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 23 January 22nd 06 08:05 AM
Moon Over the Mountain or Summer Solstice Joan8904 Quilting 16 February 26th 04 02:37 PM