Small portable projects

Old July 17th 03, 04:28 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Deb,

I'm happy you found us too, and welcome.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 18th 03, 02:37 AM
Mischief

My small portable projects are granny squares for lapghans. I usually
have a ball of yarn in the car along with a hook and also usually take
granny squares with me are short vacations and when visiting family.

Darlene in Toronto
http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten

Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Old July 21st 03, 06:03 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Laurie i liked your description
thank you
mirjam
og.net (Laurie) wrote:

I'll crochet dishcloths but mainly my portable projects are cross
stitch things. I keep stocked up on little kits like scissor keeps,
needlebooks, bookmarks, and eyeglasses cases. When I traveled
overseas I was able to pack my entire cross stitch gear in a 10x6 flat
handbag. (I didn't take it on the plane although it would have made
the flight bearable.) I give all the little projects away and even
managed to replenish my stock of kits while in England. All those
manor houses and museums...

At home I stick to crochet and knitting but today I picked up a little
kit and started working it a bit and had an overwhelming sense memory
of London. :-)

Laurie
Washougal, WA

Old July 21st 03, 06:03 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Oh friends !!!
maybe we all can think about some possibel small carry around projects
, i think first about some carrier bags, Am just sewing one for a
friend who recently divorced , and now she has to combine shopping
with work everytime she leaves the house , thought of sewing a
foldable cloth bag for her, But i also thought that cloth bags, in
fact several of them are ideal to store the small projects. Ever since
i sewed Big cloth bags and keep a project in each , my room looks
tidier [ i don`t mind but the husband does] it keeps all elements
together you can grab it on way out and would get to destinantion ,
far from the house with threads for project A , and needles matching
project B and pattern or page where you calculated measurements of
project C.....
mirjam

Old July 21st 03, 07:03 PM
NoraBalcer

Mirjam,

You are too organized with the cloth bags. I have one stuffed on a shelf ready
to go out the door if I need it.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 22nd 03, 12:31 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Ohhh Wonderful you are the second Sunita i meet ,,,
nice to meet you here !!! welcome if i mised you before .
I always find some minutes to work my Bagged project
mirjam

I usually take a small crochet project along, like a child's hat or
scarf or socks (yes you can crochet socks!). If I feel like knitting,
then one of those novelty scarves that needs no pattern or brain to be
knit. Like the rest of you, I've learned always to pack *something*
into my bag because down time is unpredictable but frequent. It used
to be a book, now it's a UFO.

Sunita

Old July 23rd 03, 02:55 AM
Coggie

I crochet socks all the time . What is yor favorite pattern ? I use
love to crochet socks or learn to crochet socks , both put out by
annies attic. I am thinking of getting the new crocheted stocking book
also. One thing I like about these books is that the offer patterns
for gartered heels. The only think I do differently is I change the
size needle and yarn so I can wear them in my shoes.
I also knit socks , I just crochet alot faster than I knit.
Coggie

Old July 23rd 03, 02:57 AM
Coggie

not sure if other message went thru.
I also crochet socks and love them . What patterns do you use? I use
either love to crochet socks or learn to crochet socks both put out by
Annie's attic . I have thought of picking up crocheted stockings also
out by them. The thing I love about these patterns is the gartered
heels. I do change the weight of yarn and the size of hook so I can
wear them in my shoes .
I also knit socks but I crochet faster than I knit so I tend to
crochet them more.
Coggie

Old August 1st 03, 10:49 PM
Sunita

Sorry I took so long to respond, I lost the thread for a while!

I don't really use a pattern. I crochet toe-up, so that I can try
them on as I go. I started out with a pattern from a pamphlet (I
think it was called Stocking Feet?) but the pattern drove me crazy.
So here's what I do. I chain 18-28 depending on size, then slip
stitch into the back bump to make the toe "seam", then start single
crochet with 1 or 2 increases at each end until I get to the right
size. It usually takes about 10-15 rows and makes a little toe box,
or should I say toe boat. Then I switch to half-double-crochet for
the foot body (the stitch # is anywhere from 50-65 depending on the
foot size). 2 inches from the heel I start decreasing for the heel in
single crochet. I decrease by ending one stitch before the last row
ended and no extra chain onthe turn. When I've got down to about half
the # of stitches, I start increasing again, still in SC, increasing
into the previous rows to make the heel (I hope that makes sense). I
usually come out with about 5-10 more stitches than in the foot body.
I leave it for a few rows, then decrease back to the foot body number.
I finish with a post-stitch ribbing of 1 inch or so at the top.

Regia stretch works best, since crochet isn't very stretchy.

This probably makes no sense; it's easier than it sounds!

Sunita