Sewing Business (The Book)

Old February 21st 05, 12:29 PM
Joy Hardie

Default Sewing Business (The Book)

O.K....I am in hot water again with my husband. He is never happy
with me and my informal business practices. He never thinks I charge
enough...too many hours of labor not enough income and so on. I
remember a while back that there was a discussion about some book on
the subject specifically of setting up a sewing business. Maybe it's
time I invested in it.
I know we have beaten the "pricing horse" literally to death....but
it's still a big issue for me. I still feel I need to be competitive
with all the other website markets where people can get skating or
dancing costumes. I know, I know....mine are custom....but, but,
but....still I want to be competitive and not too far out of range.
Who knows, maybe I am too slow. I know that I am a stickler for
quality control. I underestimate my hours.
Joy
Old February 21st 05, 01:47 PM
Ward

"Joy Hardie" wrote in message
O.K....I am in hot water again with my husband. He is never happy
with me and my informal business practices. He never thinks I charge
enough...too many hours of labor not enough income and so on. I
remember a while back that there was a discussion about some book on
the subject specifically of setting up a sewing business. Maybe it's
time I invested in it.
I know we have beaten the "pricing horse" literally to death....but
it's still a big issue for me. I still feel I need to be competitive
with all the other website markets where people can get skating or
dancing costumes. I know, I know....mine are custom....but, but,
but....still I want to be competitive and not too far out of range.
Who knows, maybe I am too slow. I know that I am a stickler for
quality control. I underestimate my hours.
Joy

Hi Joy,

I'm not in the sewing business but I have my dreams, and I like to plan, so
I also have some really good books on the subject.

For basic bookkeeping information relating to any small business, "Keeping
the Books" by Linda Pinson is excellent. Plain language and simple to
follow rules & forms.

"The Entrepreneur's Guide to Sewn Product Manufacturing" by Kathleen
Fasanella is a great book loaded with good information and really needed if
you have any ideas about getting a design to market. There is a chapter
entitled: Product Cost and Pricing. It's geared towards manufacturing, but
very clear.

There is a series of books by Barbara Wright Sykes and they are all
excellent and probably better suited to your needs. They a "The
Business of Sewing, Vol 1, and vol 2" and "Marketing Your Sewing Business".
Since your main concerns are pricing I assume you already have the
clientele, so the "Marketing" book would be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Liz

FAQs for RCTQ Diana Curtis Quilting 7 October 4th 04 02:16 AM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 September 1st 04 02:30 PM
Sewing Room Accessories Ward Sewing 9 September 1st 04 01:01 PM
OT - best all-round sewing book for a beginner? Johanna Gibson Quilting 15 December 18th 03 11:00 PM
BE book recommendation needed Hexe Needlework 7 December 18th 03 06:46 AM