OT Search Engines Won't Search

Old October 7th 03, 01:58 AM
..Mickie Swall..

Default OT Search Engines Won't Search

Anybody else with Internet Explorer having problems with online searches?
For several days now we can't get any of them to work, tried msn, google,
yahoo, and a host of others, and only get the "The page cannot be found"
error message.
Its' been especially frustrating for DH, who has been led to believe the search
engines are his friends! snicker
Mickie

Old October 7th 03, 03:22 AM
Donna in Idaho \(remove invalid\)

I have that happen occasionally, but haven't today. Used Google for
something or the other this afternoon. Google is about all I ever use.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

Remove ".remove.invalid" to reply

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old October 7th 03, 03:24 AM
John A.

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:58:32 -0400, "..Mickie Swall.."
wrote:

Anybody else with Internet Explorer having problems with online searches?
For several days now we can't get any of them to work, tried msn, google,
yahoo, and a host of others, and only get the "The page cannot be found"
error message.
Its' been especially frustrating for DH, who has been led to believe the search
engines are his friends! snicker
Mickie

I saw a post in another forum that sounds like the same problem. I
suspect a virus or the like. If a virus scan doesn't fix it, look in
your C:\Windows\hosts file and delete any line not starting with "#"
that includes the name of a server you're having problems with.
Alternately, you can add a "#" to the beginning of said lines.

JA
Old October 7th 03, 12:12 PM
Queen of Squishies

My Internet Explorer can not find ANY web pages. Not ANY! Can't open any
of the links you guys have sent for pics, can't open CNN news, can't open
any quilt shops, rctq page.......nothing. : (

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old October 7th 03, 11:16 PM
Dragonfly

Probably just a bunch of internet traffic slowing things down,
especially if you're on a dial-up connection. That tends to happen to
me when there is a virus making the rounds, slowing things down.

Sometimes logging off, rebooting, and logging on will give me a
slightly better connection if my modem happened to connect at
less-that-the-max. Sometimes something is wrong with the phone line --
not enough that it bothers people talking, but enough that it bothers
computers. Last year, it would sometimes take an hour of reconnecting
before I'd get a connection fast enough I could collect my email! Most
of the time it couldn't find the server and would just time out.

(That's about when you guys/gals started seeing a bit less of me -- I
couldn't get here!)

Good luck!

Dragonfly

Old October 8th 03, 01:09 PM
..Mickie Swall..

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
What I did was change my home page to netscape.com (still had
Internet Explorer) and the search there worked fine. Still couldn't
search anywhere else.... though I tried this morning and a search
is now successful at any stite!
Must have been a little system upset, it now all appears to be back
to business as usual (notice I didn't say "normal" g )
Thanks again!
Mickie

wrote:

Anybody else with Internet Explorer having problems with online searches?
For several days now we can't get any of them to work, tried msn, google,
yahoo, and a host of others, and only get the "The page cannot be found"
error message.
Its' been especially frustrating for DH, who has been led to believe the search
engines are his friends! snicker
Mickie

I saw a post in another forum that sounds like the same problem. I
suspect a virus or the like. If a virus scan doesn't fix it, look in
your C:\Windows\hosts file and delete any line not starting with "#"
that includes the name of a server you're having problems with.
Alternately, you can add a "#" to the beginning of said lines.

JA

OT sort of, search engine question Carlinda Beads 7 November 29th 04 11:16 PM
22778 Mining the Web: Jacobian Matrix Constructs with eigenVectorSearching 22778 Web Science Beads 0 November 16th 04 10:01 PM
12875 Mining the Web: eigenVectors, Kriging, Inverse DistanceWeighting Searches 12875 Web Science Needlework 0 November 16th 04 10:01 PM
In Search Of... Mandy Needlework 0 June 18th 04 02:13 AM
JustBeads Search Question starlia Beads 2 February 7th 04 08:42 PM