Searching for a basic worsted...

Old January 6th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leslie

Default Searching for a basic worsted...

I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA, though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...

So I'm asking, what do you all use for a basic worsted weight wool?

Old January 6th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Leslie wrote:
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA, though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...

So I'm asking, what do you all use for a basic worsted weight wool?

I'd suggest Woolease, but HL doesn't have the worsted as far as I know,
just the thick one, and they don't have much else along those lines.
Hancock Fabrics carries it if there's one close to you. Online, there's
knitpicks.com with its Swish superwash; a lot of people like Plymouth
Encore and Cascade 220 washable which are available online.

sue
Old January 6th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Leslie wrote:
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA, though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...

I don't know about it being the highest quality, but in my local town,
Beverly's Fabric carries the best selection of lower-priced yarn, and on
the internet, there is Marymaxim.com and herrschners.com

Also, smileysyarns.com has odd lots for dirt cheap.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.
Old January 6th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
Leslie wrote:
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA, though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...

I forgot to mention Paton's has some wool/acrylic blends and so do
Bernat. You can get a lot of these yarns online by the bag or discounted
http://www.discountyarnsale.com/cat_by.cfm
http://www.knitting-warehouse.com/index.html
http://www.yarnsupply.com/

sue
Old January 6th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Leslie" wrote in message
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA,

though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...

So I'm asking, what do you all use for a basic worsted weight wool?

Patons Classic Merino

Shelagh

Old January 6th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

I don't know about it being the highest quality, but in my local town,
Beverly's Fabric carries the best selection of lower-priced yarn, and on
the internet, there is Marymaxim.com and herrschners.com

Only problem with Mary Maxim is that most of their yarns are acrylic.

Shelagh

Old January 7th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jan 7, 12:30*am, suzee wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:
"Leslie" wrote in message
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA,

though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...

So I'm asking, *what do you all use for a basic worsted weight wool?

Patons Classic Merino

Not washable.

I wash it. Just don't use hot water, and don't put it in the drier.

Higs,
Katherine
Old January 7th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Katherine wrote:
On Jan 7, 12:30 am, suzee wrote:
Shillelagh wrote:
"Leslie" wrote in message
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA,
though
probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in my area
with, of course, no selection...
So I'm asking, what do you all use for a basic worsted weight wool?
Patons Classic Merino

Not washable.

I wash it. Just don't use hot water, and don't put it in the drier.

Doesn't the agitation felt it some? Or do you just put in to soak and spin?

sue
Old January 20th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Leslie

"Leslie" wrote in message
I'm in search of a plain, all wool or mostly-wool (but washable) worsted
weight that comes in many colors, has a good feel, wears well and doesn't
cost an arm an a leg. Looking for something readily available in USA,
though probably on internet, though, since only Walmart and HobbyLobby in
my area with, of course, no selection...

So I'm asking, what do you all use for a basic worsted weight wool?

At last my news server is up and running again so that I can thank all those
who responded. I will pursue each suggestion. I want to have a basic yarn
that I can use whenever needed for slippers, mittens, and (present urgency)
wristlets for grandchildren who play in snow. (Wool is warm even when wet,
hence that particular requirement.)

Again, thank each and every person who responded.

Regards,

Leslie

Worsted Thread Joy Beeson Needlework 0 April 2nd 07 01:51 PM
Worsted socks SilverFox Yarn 0 February 4th 04 04:33 AM
Worsted socks Provided44 Yarn 16 January 22nd 04 08:12 PM
Woolen vs. Worsted Slinky Yarn 1 January 22nd 04 05:33 AM
Flesh colored 4 ply worsted yarn? Confuddled Yarn 7 October 18th 03 03:14 PM